Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United Airlines shows how to make a PR crisis a total disaster

United Airlines shows how to make a PR crisis a total disaster

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Statement from United:
    "Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked. After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate. We apologize for the overbook situation. Further details on the removed customer should be directed to authorities."

Some interesting insight from reddit/imgur (Scott Card could verify validity):

From a lawyer:
    This myth that passengers don't have rights needs to go away, ASAP. You are dead wrong when saying that United legally kicked him off the plane.

1. First of all, it's airline spin to call this an overbooking. The statutory provision granting them the ability to deny boarding is about "OVERSALES", specifically defines as booking more reserved confirmed seats than there are available. This is not what happened. They did not overbook the flight; they had a fully booked flight, and not only did everyone already have a reserved confirmed seat, they were all sitting in them. The law allowing them to denying boarding in the event of an oversale does not apply.

2. Even if it did apply, the law is unambiguously clear that airlines have to give preference to everyone with reserved confirmed seats when choosing to involuntarily deny boarding. They have to always choose the solution that will affect the least amount of reserved confirmed seats. This rule is straightforward, and United makes very clear in their own contract of carriage that employees of their own or of other carriers may be denied boarding without compensation because they do not have reserved confirmed seats. On its face, it's clear that what they did was illegal-- they gave preference to their employees over people who had reserved confirmed seats, in violation of 14 CFR 250.2a.

3. Furthermore, even if you try and twist this into a legal application of 250.2a and say that United had the right to deny him boarding in the event of an overbooking; they did NOT have the right to kick him off the plane. Their contract of carriage highlights there is a complete difference in rights after you've boarded and sat on the plane, and Rule 21 goes over the specific scenarios where you could get kicked off. NONE of them apply here. He did absolutely nothing wrong and shouldn't have been targeted. He's going to leave with a hefty settlement after this fiasco."
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

8. Likes savanna3313 liked this post

United's stock is in freefall.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    United's stock is in freefall.
    I thought it would be too, but it's not really that bad. After dropping from $72 to $68, it's rallied back pretty hard and is only down ~1% right now.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Ohhhh slam...

Name:  C9DkpLiXYAA3Kwr.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  49.5 KB
    Am I missing something here? What's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Some interesting insight from reddit/imgur (Scott Card could verify validity):
    ."
    Sorry Rock, I can't verify this one without research. This issue is out of my realms of expertise.
    Life is Good

If United offered $5000 to give up your seat I bet someone would have taken the deal. That's pretty cheap considering United would easily pay $100,000 today to make this PR nightmare disappear.

If United offered $5000 to give up your seat I bet someone would have taken the deal. That's pretty cheap considering United would easily pay $100,000 today to make this PR nightmare disappear.
    I'm betting the amount they pay out in settlement is seven figures.

19. Likes devo_stevo liked this post

21. Likes gholt, devo_stevo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I wish I could embed this, but here's the winner.

http://i.imgur.com/99dgkTs.mp4
    Yeah imgur has blown up about this ever since the news broke. First it was the zombies vs humans and now this.

Go #teamhuman

24. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Even a one percent drop in the stock price is a loss of more than $200 million.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.