Thread: Need Help

Need Help

Attention canyoneers: After nearly two years of working onthis, I now have in hand an approved permit to install a two-bolt and chainanchor at the big rappel by Abbey Arch on the Lomatium Route in the FieryFurnace of Arches National Park. The problem is, I know nothing myself inregards to bolt installation, so I’m looking for a person with that knowledgeto assist in completing this as well as two other volunteers to help with theinstallation. The permit is good through the end of May. We can select ANY daywithin that time frame to do this. The park has only asked that we try toprovide up to a seven day advance notice. A park official may or may notaccompany us. The permit allows a total of four persons to go in.

The permit does notauthorize that we access the Abbey Arch location by way of the full, standardLomatium route. We’ll have to go in by hiking around the south and east sidesof the Furnace. Once the installation is complete, we are authorized to testthe bolts by rappelling down and taking the standard exit route out of theFurnace. The bolts MUST be a screw-in type. Glued types are prohibited. I willpersonally incur the expense for the two stainless steel bolts, hangers andchain and take responsibility for painting them to match the surrounding rock.I just need the expertise and help to do this. The holes will have to be handdrilled. I’m hoping that among those who can help, there will be someone withthe appropriate drill.

In have a very flexible schedule and can do this most anytime – weekend or weekday. The permit is not linked to the daily Furnace quota,so we don’t have to be concerned about getting there and finding we won’t beallowed to go in. Access is guaranteed whenever we choose to do this. Theperson with the needed expertise will determine the day. If interested, respondeither directly here, send a PM.

2. Likes diesel, jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

No cordless drill?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    No cordless drill?

My hand drill does not have a cord.

It is only sandstone.

Tom

Looks like Tom is volunteering.😎

That's a long drive for Mr. Jones. Besides, I thought he only did UN-installations.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

8. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    That's a long drive for Mr. Jones. Besides, I thought he only did UN-installations.
    I swing both ways.

T

Just curious.. why bolt it? The webbing off the tree works just fine. And did it actually get bolted before the permit expired?? And also.. what's with the no glue ins?? I much prefer glue ins in sandstone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by that1dood_647 View Post
    Just curious.. why bolt it? The webbing off the tree works just fine. And did it actually get bolted before the permit expired?? And also.. what's with the no glue ins?? I much prefer glue ins in sandstone
    Sorry, thought the full report had been released.

Yes, PeakBagger, Nate from Arches and I went and did this in May on a very hot day.

Webbing from the tree requires a long piece that people do not always have, and creates some bad rope grooves. The Park was looking for a lower impact solution here.

The Park had previously determined what style of bolts it prefers. In this case, they chose large (1/2") expansion bolts. I think they do not (in general) like glue-ins because they are very difficult to remove, if they turn out to be in the wrong place or unnecessary. The rock was very soft, and Nate will be monitoring those bolts. Should they wiggle themselves loose, we will try hard to convince them that glue-ins in the same holes would be a good choice.

Tom

12. Likes darhawk, moab mark, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Sorry, thought the full report had been released.

Yes, PeakBagger, Nate from Arches and I went and did this in May on a very hot day.

Webbing from the tree requires a long piece that people do not always have, and creates some bad rope grooves. The Park was looking for a lower impact solution here.

The Park had previously determined what style of bolts it prefers. In this case, they chose large (1/2") expansion bolts. I think they do not (in general) like glue-ins because they are very difficult to remove, if they turn out to be in the wrong place or unnecessary. The rock was very soft, and Nate will be monitoring those bolts. Should they wiggle themselves loose, we will try hard to convince them that glue-ins in the same holes would be a good choice.

Tom
    Mucho Gracias

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum