Thread: Dead criminal’s family complains victim’s AR-15 made the fight unfair

Dead criminal’s family complains victim’s AR-15 made the fight unfair

In case you haven’t already heard, a 23-year-old man from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma made headlines this week when he shot and killed three teenage home invaders. The three teens had robbed the garage earlier that day, then returned to try the main house. They awoke Zach Peters, the homeowner’s son, who grabbed his AR-15 and defended himself against 3 armed and masked intruders. Max Cook, 19; Jacob Redfearn, 17; and Jake Woodruff, 16, were shot and killed. Cook’s 21-year-old girlfriend, get-away driver, and “robbery mastermind”
    Elizabeth Rodriguez was arrested and charged with three counts of both first degree murder and burglary. Her murder charges come from the felony murder rule which charges anyone involved in a felony with murder if a death occurs during or due to the felonious act.

Now the family of one of the deceased criminals is complaining. They don’t believe it was fair that Peters was allowed to defend himself with an AR-15 when the criminals were only armed with knives and brass knuckles.

Leroy Schumacher, grandfather of Jacob Redfearn, says his grandson made a bad choice but didn’t deserve to die. “What these three boys did was stupid,” said Leroy Schumacher to ABC News. “They knew they could be punished for it but they did not deserve to die.”

Schumacher complains that it wasn’t a fair fight and his grandson didn’t have a chance to defend himself… while breaking into another man’s home and attempting to rob him. “Brass knuckles against an AR-15, come on, who was afraid for their life,” he continued.

Zach Peters has not, and will not be charged with a crime for a justified shooting of three armed intruders and Schumacher is furious. “There’s got to be a limit to that law, I mean he shot all three of them; there was no need for that,” said Schumacher.

Do you have anything you would like to say to Mr. Schumacher?

http://americangg.net/dead-criminals-family-complains/

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kill them all and let God sort them out.

Yeah it sucks, sad deal. Some may think the intruders would have never thought death could be a possible penalty, and that is unfortunate. It's really unfortunate, because there are not a lot of these stories highlighted in the media lately, so intruders are not aware of the rights of a homeowner.

Another fact that will be largely ignored is the huge weight this will be on the 23 year old's conscience for the rest of his life, always hearing the criticism and maybe one day wondering if he really made the right decision. This could possibly lead to thoughts of suicide. So the 23 year old shooter is in many ways a victim in this story, while I applaud his actions.

Before accusing the 23 year old of making the wrong decision in a split moment, focus your criticism on the intruders who made a bad calculated and planned out, thought out decision together in advance, with the opportunity to back out.

I had to pull my handgun on somebody once to defend myself, and it made me sick to think how close I came to killing him. I don't know how that action would have changed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I had to pull my handgun on somebody once to defend myself, and it made me sick to think how close I came to killing him. I don't know how that action would have changed me.
    Ooh, do tell!
    The closest I've come to drawing my handgun was last summer when my wife and I, late at night, stopped in to our local WalMart to grab some stuff after a movie. As we were walking toward the front door we all of a sudden found ourselves in the middle of a shouting and shoving match between a group of 5-6 low-life 20 year olds. I moved my wife to my outside, putting myself between her and the group and, at the same time, put my hand under my shirt and on the gun grip. Fortunately, they mostly just ignored us and we went into the store. When we came out, the police had arrived and had it under control.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Y

I had to pull my handgun on somebody once to defend myself, and it made me sick to think how close I came to killing him.
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Ooh, do tell!.
    Well, this guy was riding an eBike on my favorite mountain bike trail.....

ha, no, so this dude was on some super good drugs and was running out in traffic attacking the cars on a main 4 lane street. Basically we were stopped in the turning lane and he tried to get into my side of the truck, banging and bashing on the window trying to break it. I pulled my 380 out, chambered a round and placed the barrel on the class right at his forehead. He suddenly decided he was no longer interested in getting into our truck (with my wife driving) and took off running. Maybe the drugs weren't THAT good. Fortunately the cops were on their way and got him, I voluntarily told them my story, they thought it was no big deal and didn't even ask if I had a permit.

That was a life changing even though. You never really define that line, where it is, when does it get crossed that you are going to shoot and you aren't looking back. I hadn't defined that line yet, I just assumed I'd never see it. I came within seconds to killing him though, one deterrent was I didn't want to break my window.

You didn't need a permit in your situation. It is perfectly legal to have a firearm in your vehicle.
    I would strongly recommend not drawing a weapon if you have any doubt about pulling the trigger.
    And it will definitely affect the rest your life the moment you do.

Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    You didn't need a permit in your situation. It is perfectly legal to have a firearm in your vehicle.
    I would strongly recommend not drawing a weapon if you have any doubt about pulling the trigger.
    And it will definitely affect the rest your life the moment you do.
    This was maybe 16 years ago before they let us start carrying them in the vehicle. It's all good though, I just received my permit renewal in the mail yesterday.

10. Likes tallsteve liked this post
    Good for you.
    Situational awareness will avoid almost all reasons for having to make the decision to shoot or not. And it may come down to a random event like someone breaking into your house.

My only experience was a very drunk young man who got into my house when the babysitter forgot to make sure the door was locked before they fell asleep waiting for us to return.

He came in and was passed out in a chair in the living room. I held a gun on him until the police arrived to take him away. The cop just looked at me and asked why didn't I shoot him. I didn't think he posed enough threat to ruin my life for pulling the trigger, but had he awakened in a hostile manner there was no doubt I my mind he would have had a very bad ending.

Now the family of one of the deceased criminals is complaining. They don’t believe it was fair that Peters was allowed to defend himself with an AR-15 when the criminals were only armed with knives and brass knuckles.
    It isn't fair to break into someone's house armed with knives and brass knuckles either. It is indeed sad, but the buglers are the ones that should be blamed.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Who wants a fair fight when faced with three armed intruders in the middle of the night? Certainly not me.

Are you F**king kidding me?!? This is the problem with the media.

I can promise you one thing... if anyone ever broke into my home the cops would be their last worry.... in fact the cops would be their only hope of surviving.

Name:  Victim.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  79.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Are you F**king kidding me?!? This is the problem with the media.

I can promise you one thing... if anyone ever broke into my home the cops would be their last worry.... in fact the cops would be their only hope of surviving.

Name:  Victim.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  79.1 KB
    What "media" are you talking about?

I had to do a google image search to even find that. Twitter is your media? That's the only place I could find it.

Is this your example of the problem with "the media"? Oh, the outrage (yawn).

Maybe you need to quit getting your news from someone's Twitter feed...

Every media outlet I found this story on just reported what happened...

Seriously...what "media" reported your cute little photo?

A co-worker was telling me yesterday that he didn't think the shooting was justified. His reasoning, "they were only armed with knives". I emailed him this video (warning- graphic content): https://www.full30.com/video/9030f86...1f3244842a91c2
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    I held a gun on him until the police arrived to take him away. The cop just looked at me and asked why didn't I shoot him. I didn't think he posed enough threat to ruin my life for pulling the trigger,
    Now THAT is some good gun control