Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayor rescinds offer to place homeless shelter in Draper after push-back from residents

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post

Nobody aspires to be homeless. Nobody enjoys being homeless. But they're homeless due to a variety of reasons - not just personal. It's a personal as well as societal problem - and as such, society ought to contribute to a viable solution.
    I agree with what you are saying but my anecdotal run ins with transients and homeless along north temple (I work close to the airport) have been different than what you might guess.

Walking into an Arby's restaurant a guy said out of the blue to us as we were walking in, that he has been homeless for the last 20+ years (as if it was a good thing). A few times at Subway, Carl's Jr., That Sandwich Shop, and Wendy's along North temple had a few of the transients on the inside of the restaurant sitting down in the corner just minding their own business. Of course I feel empathy for them and walk to them and say "hey man, do you want a sandwich or burger or something?" Out of the 6 or more times I have asked them, their reply has been "no thanks, Im just looking for a place to sit down in a warm place" and "no thanks, I don't want to burden you" and "that's nice of you to offer but I just want to be were other normal people are".

Maybe these have been the outliers in my experience but most people where I offer to help have refused my little money or offer of lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Louis CK View Post

Louis CK does a perfect job at describing exactly how the average American citizen treats the homeless. So freaking hilarious. "America happened," LMAO.

PG-13 For some coarse language...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Maybe these have been the outliers in my experience but most people where I offer to help have refused my little money or offer...

Sounds like he's completely disillusioned and discouraged to the point of extreme apathy. He knows a simple stupid sandwich isn't going to solve his problem. Maybe he suspects your motives. Maybe he thinks you're only offering to soothe your conscience, not necessarily to actually help him. I'm absolutely certain that he feels an utterly enormous amount of shame and embarrassment. It can't be easy to live the life of a paria.

Lots of moving parts. It's not black and white...lots of grey areas when stepping through this issue.

The number one reason I moved to Draper is so I don't have to deal with poor people. Yeah, I know that kind of makes me an ass, but I don't really give a shit as long as you keep the homeless out of Draper.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The number one reason I moved to Draper is so I don't have to deal with poor people. Yeah, I know that kind of makes me an ass, but I don't really give a shit as long as you keep the homeless out of Draper.

Based on the response of the angry mob that showed up to protest the shelter it appears you're in the majority.

WARNING! I am a Draper resident and I'm an asshole, if you don't want your feelings hurt just walk away.

LMAO....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    WARNING! I am a Draper resident and I'm an asshole, if you don't want your feelings hurt just walk away.

LMAO....
    I am not a Draper resident but I will admit to being an asshole. Especially to the homeless problem. There is a little piece of me that feels bad for them, but mainly for most of them I place the blame of their situation on themselves. But maybe that is just my own coping mechanism so I don't feel guilty about offering no help. It does make me glad to be non religious since I don't have to do the required mental gymnastics necessary to square my feeling for the homeless with the teachings of any of the major religions. I may be an asshole but at least I am not a hypocrite right?

9. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I am not a Draper resident but I will admit to being an asshole. Especially to the homeless problem. There is a little piece of me that feels bad for them, but mainly for most of them I place the blame of their situation on themselves. But maybe that is just my own coping mechanism so I don't feel guilty about offering no help. It does make me glad to be non religious since I don't have to do the required mental gymnastics necessary to square my feeling for the homeless with the teachings of any of the major religions. I may be an asshole but at least I am not a hypocrite right?

No--not a hypocrite--just a social conservative--Welcome.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

^^^ LOL, well at least you're not in denial about it. What really irks me are people that are completely delusional about the issue. Some people have told me in the past that they're constantly helping out the homeless because they pay a full tithe [insert eye roll here].

Liberal/progressives are who make homeless people, it's the dependency thing.(entitlement)

We're here from the government and we come to help...............
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Liberal/progressives are who make homeless people, it's the dependency thing.(entitlement)

We're here from the government and we come to help...............
    No. Its folks who cut spending on programs for the mentally ill and drug treatment. Who allow folks to go into debt on mortgages with no consumer protections who find themselves homeless after foreclosure. Or, who lose their house to afford health care (#1 reason for bankrupty). Those aren't "liberal policies".

So, its cause and effect. What causes people to be homeless? A sense of entitlement? That's just silly to think that.

Its a given that a portion of the population will be unemployable. Part of that same population will be mentally ill.

Its another given that some folks are victims of domestic situations out of their control. A woman escaping her insane right-wing conservative asshole husband who's armed and has threatened her and their kids. You think she feels "entitled"?

On the flip side, you think a vet with PTSD that's homeless shouldn't feel entitled? About 10% of the homeless population? You gonna use your cute little, "we're with the government and we're here to help" phrase on some of those guys?

Hey, I'm no saint when it comes to this...last guy that panhandled me downtown got told to see his caseworker. And, when choosing where to live, I chose a neighborhood far away from "affordable rental housing". But, I support social programs, both federally and locally, that try to provide help for the homeless. And, I'm aware of the cause and effect. And, I also personally know folks who where homeless in the recent past.

So, what's the solution? I think these shelters can help. So do things like drug court, rehab, department of workforce services, etc. Yeah, they cost society money. Taxes. Should Americans take care of their own or let them live in camps downtown and in the floodplain of the Jordan River (that'll be interesting during runoff this spring)?

Part of the problem is unfortunately Utahans are very generous. And, I think that's partly why folks beg for money. Its effective. They get money. And, that word is out so we get folks from all over to take advantage of that situation. Vouchers were a good idea. At least if the free money would dry up, they may get help. If there's help to be got.

Plenty of blame to go 'round for this...

14. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    No--not a hypocrite--just a social conservative--Welcome.
    Do I still get the welcome package if you find out I support gay marriage, drug decriminalization, assisted suicide and abortion rights?

16. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post

On the flip side, you think a vet with PTSD that's homeless shouldn't feel entitled? About 10% of the homeless population? You gonna use your cute little, "we're with the government and we're here to help" phrase on some of those guys?
    Just yesterday, I gave a veteran a $600 loan on a handshake.
    So go cry your liberal blather on those of you who talk and do nothing!!!
    He needed a leg up, not a handout...
    I did so, with no expectation of getting my money back.
    He said he would pay me more than I lent..
    Time will tell, I was glad to help.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

18. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Oh--and he was homeless, isn't any more...
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

And not related to me in any way, I had only met the day before..
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Just yesterday, I gave a veteran a $600 loan on a handshake.
    So go cry your liberal blather on those of you who talk and do nothing!!!
    He needed a leg up, not a handout...
    I did so, with no expectation of getting my money back.
    He said he would pay me more than I lent..
    Time will tell, I was glad to help.
    Oh, there's no cryin' going on over here. Just listening to more conservative whining and braggadocio.

I'd call that a handout. Does calling it a "leg up" make it sound better? Like, you "taught a man to fish"?

Did he have a puppy? Is that what won you over? What did his sign say? Did it say "God bless America"? (That really sucks 'em in).

Did you do it 'cause you felt guilty for being a conservative Grinch? Did it make your tiny conservative heart swell with pride?

Gave him a "leg up", eh? I guess I'd call that "fake news". Not even from the liberal news media!

Does spraggin' here make you hope we'll think your a big ol' generous softie?

Conservative buys one homeless guy off, feels good about himself, considers homeless problem (cause by a liberal entitlement no doubt) solved.

600 bucks per homeless person...no more problem! Geez, why didn't the liberals think of that?

Your a hero! Did you get in line for your medal? Where's the medal ceremony?

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Do I still get the welcome package if you find out I support gay marriage, drug decriminalization, assisted suicide and abortion rights?
    Hey, I also support all those items. I told you I was pretty middle of the road. It seems we agree on many items.

I just wish liberals understood money, or at least understood someone has to pay for all that free shit. Somehow I always end up on the paying side of that equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post

Says the gay/anti gun/baby killer progressive.

yea, you have a big mouth and no heart, it's all good.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

did you get down on your knees for last months check from the gov--again??

entitled you are--freebies are you.

Get a real job and off the government tit, boy.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?