Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mayor rescinds offer to place homeless shelter in Draper after push-back from residents

I'll agree with Iceaxe on this one. Choices have consequences. If you don't have a purpose and a plan for your life and you simply live from one moment to the next, chances are good that one day, it'll come back to haunt you and one day, you'll end up in a place that you don't want to be in.

There are some that end up there through no fault of their own, it's true. But I'd guess that's a small number compared to those who just plain screwed up too many times.

2. Likes jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I tried to point out that many of those homeless folks wound up there because of circumstances outside of their control.
    Well, I would disagree that they were victim to circumstances outside of their control. I would say it's because they didn't fully understand the consequences from their choices.

A great many of them are addicts, and currently they may feel powerless and limited, as a consequence to the poor choices they made in the past.

I know all about addiction, for more reasons than what I'll get into, and I attend Narcotics Anonymous with 2 friends of mine, different classes, different locations. Nobody was held down and injected with Heroin and became addicted. But it is still very unfortunate, none of these guys and gals could have imagined the monstrosity of addiction.

So I would say they had full control over the choices they made, but they were not fully aware of how impossible addiction can be.

And aside from the whole addiction thing, I would still fight like hell to keep a homeless shelter out of my neighborhood, being fully aware of the risks, like being called intolerant, hateful, hypocrite. But for those who call others intolerant and mean spirited towards the homeless, I still stand my ground in claiming that not one of those people would want a homeless shelter built in their neighborhood either.

5. Likes devo_stevo, Udink liked this post
    Build it and they will come.

If you want your neighborhood and/or state over run with herds of homeless from other states just build great homeless shelters and become known as a friend of the homeless. It's easier than attracting fat kids with free donuts.

Downtown bracing for 'tidal wave' in homeless population as SLC looks for solutions
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=43920406&nid=1070

You had me at "free donuts"! I think I'll join the homeless ranks.

Name:  Homer Drool.png
Views: 96
Size:  75.4 KB
    Are we there yet?

8. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    I just opened up Amazon this morning:

https://www.amazon.com/p/feature/z4s...2J653QP61RVJKS

Amazon to Build a Permanent Mary's Place Family Shelter Within its Seattle Headquarters

May 10, 2017

Mary's Place announced today that Amazon will donate more than 47,000 sq. ft. of space within Amazon’s newest headquarters building as a permanent location for a Mary's Place Family Shelter. This first-of-its-kind partnership will include 65 rooms, which will shelter more than 200 homeless women, children, and families each night.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.