Thread: Trump expected to sign bill allowing internet providers to sell user web data

Trump expected to sign bill allowing internet providers to sell user web data

Internet service providers may soon be able to sell your internet history and other sensitive information.

The U.S. House and the Senate have both voted in recent days to kill rules that would have forced internet service providers (ISPs) to get consumers’ permission before sharing users’ data with third-parties, such as advertisers.

The bill, which President Donald Trump is expected to sign in the coming weeks, has prompted a backlash online and among privacy advocates.

The rules, adopted by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in late October, would require ISPs to give consumers’ the option to “opt in” to sharing information sensitive information -- defined as including “precise geolocation, financial information, health information, children’s information, social security numbers, web browsing history, app usage history and the content of communications.”

Under the rules, “ISPs would be allowed to use and share nonsensitive information unless a customer ‘opts out,’” the FCC said in a statement in October. Nonsensitive information, it said, included a user’s “email address or service tier information.”

'This Week': Reddit founder talks internet privacy
    Senate votes to kill privacy rules guarding your online info

The Senate voted 50-48 on Mar. 23, along party lines, to approve a bill that would eliminate the FCC rules. The House followed suit on Tuesday, voting 215-205 -- similarly, mostly along party lines -- to approve the bill.

“Should President Donald Trump sign S.J. Res. 34 into law, big Internet providers will be given new powers to harvest your personal information in extraordinarily creepy ways,” said Ernesto Falcon, legislative counsel for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a privacy advocacy group. “This breaks with the decades-long legal tradition that your communications provider is never allowed to monetize your personal information without asking for your permission first.

“It won't be long before the government begins demanding access to the treasure trove of private information Internet providers will collect and store,” he added.

On the other side, the Data and Marketing Association, advocates for data-driven marketing and engagement lauded the move by Congress, saying the FCC rules would have disrupted their industry's ability to self-regulate and that hindrances on the ability to market hamper the economy as a whole.

"Today’s vote brings an end to a year of discussion over whether it was appropriate for the FCC to upend the longstanding, successful privacy framework to adopt an entirely new set of rules, which would unnecessarily burden the booming digital economy," said Emmett O’Keefe, the Data and Marketing Association's senior vice president of advocacy, in a statement.

In a hearing before the vote, Congressman Mike Capuano, D-Massachusetts, asked “why Comcast should know what my mother’s medical problems are?” after explaining that he had searched for information about her medical condition online, according to The Guardian.

Consumer rights and civil liberties advocates predict that internet users will face an increase in targeted advertisements as marketers interested in understanding consumer behaviors purchase browsing and search histories. The Electronic Frontier Foundation additionally noted the possibility of ISPs utilizing undeletable cookies to continuously monitor web traffic.

Should Trump sign the bill, internet users interested in preventing the use of their information will have to individually contact their ISP to opt out of the arrangement. Another preventative measure is the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) -- essentially a network within the public internet -- which adds a layer of privacy that ISPs could be unable to tap. Instead, the provider would only see that a user accessed the VPN, but not what they browsed beyond that point.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer declined to provide comment when asked about the bill at Wednesday's press briefing. He said the administration will have "further updates" once it reaches the president's desk.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/shots-fired-capitol-suspect-custody/story?id=46444214

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/1...vacy-fire-sale

In case you are wondering how much $$$ the telecom industry gave to our reps. Bishop should have held out for more.

Why are people freaking out about this? If you don't like it, opt out or VPN. Not too tough.

Besides, this is already taking place on a limited basis when websites harvest cookies in your browsing history.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/1...vacy-fire-sale

In case you are wondering how much $$$ the telecom industry gave to our reps. Bishop should have held out for more.
    Thanks for the list. I wish I could say that I'm surprised by the names on that list, but it's all too familiar at this point. I'm all for voting them all out of office at this point. Bunch of do nothing vacation takers.

And, yeah, it looks like Rob Bishop caved pretty early. Apparently it doesn't take much to buy his vote. His son lives in my neighborhood. I might see him tonight at the ward party. Might just have to give him a hard time about this one. ;)

6. Likes jman liked this post
    Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I find this totally unacceptable. Any Repub. that voted for this should be gone by the next cycle and that includes the Utah reps. that took $ for votes!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

So some big corporations want to generate more advertising dollars...go figure. You can give them the middle finger opt out salute and if they don't play by the rules they'll have the ACLU all over them. This is a nothingburger, I think.

If anything was going to turn us into brainwashed clones it would have been if this person had been elected. I'll take what we've got over this nonsense.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Big yawn.... I set up VPN a couple years ago so this doesn't effect me.

Haha. This group vows to publish congress' browser history in response to latest bill.
    http://whatmattersnews.com/us-politi...rowser-history
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Haha. This group vows to publish congress' browser history in response to latest bill.
    http://whatmattersnews.com/us-politi...rowser-history
    If Congress can exempt themselves from Obamacare, they can exempt themselves from this one too. My expectations are low.

If you really understand this bill it makes complete and perfect sense from a business standpoint as what it really does is level the playing field so others can compete with Facebook, snap chat, Amazon, Netflix, Google and many others that already collect this same information. Trump is a big believer in competition is health and this will allow fair competition.