Thread: Neon & Ringtail 03/24/2017

Neon & Ringtail 03/24/2017

Thursday Blake, Josh, Luke, & myself set out to the desert of Escalante. Our original plan was Choprock but with incoming Saturday weather we opted for a easier, safer, and shorter trip.

We arrived at the Egypt Trailhead at ~10 pm. Headlamps & multiple GPS units we set off to Neon canyon. We arrived at Neon canyon ~ 11:30. Frost covered the grass & you could see your breathe. We set up camp cold & wet from the river crossing.

Friday morning we woke around 630 in hopes of a early start. We crawled back in bed & eventually got out of camp around 830. We started heading out to Ringtail.

Immediately dropping into Ringtail we encountered water and donned our wetsuits. The rest of the canyon went as follows:

Blake in upper Ringtail.

Josh on the 1st down climb.

Luke on the 1st pothole. Pack toss & partner assist accomplished. We were surprised to find this pothole empty considering the upper section was full. Pothole depth ~ 8 ft.

1st pothole AGAIN. accomplished with a pack toss and partner assist. Partner assist I mean Luke staying on my head lol. We used a 2 for 1 to get the rest out.

2nd pothole made mutch easier.

Josh went low & got stuck. Stemming up high was much easier.

The goid stuff in Ringtail !!! We hit this section ~ 1030 and it was pitch black. Headlamps were helpful lol.

Caving or canyoneering???

!!! WARNING !!! - Beta I had did not mention how tight this canyon gets. Luckily we all fit but with Much scrapping & squeezing. From what I saw it would be impossible to high stem. Larger canyoneers this will be tough lol.

We finished Ringtail around 1130. We dried out & ate a quick lunch before heading back up canyon to Neon. Reaching the top of Neon we immediately encountered water. We donned our wetsuits & went to work.

Gearing up in Neon.

1st pothole we opted for the challenge. Difficult partner assist to get into the pothole. To get out we required a pack toss & extremely difficult partner assist. This time I got to stand on Blake's head lol. Sorry I don't have a picture from the bottom of the pothole.

Luke on 1st rappel. Last year I down climbed this but today it was slippery with mud.

Dead skunk in the canyon ??? Well that's a first lol.

Cold & wet.

2nd pothole was completely full.

!! WARNING !!! - Last year I could Walk out of the exit side where as this year you cannot. The sand level at the exit is ~ 7 feet below the edge. If this dries out it will be a difficult pothole to escape.

A trip report without a picture of the cathedral would be incomplete. We arrived back at camp at 430 to dry out & catch some early Zzzzz's

Overall this was a incredible trip. The death hike out was not such a great ending but non the less a awesome trip. We polished it off with a burger & shake in Torrey.

Thank you Blake, Luke, & Josh for the trip !!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice. We have a trip planned there in June to do neon, ringtail and chiprock

4. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Nice. We have a trip planned there in June to do neon, ringtail and chiprock
    Choprock is way up on my list. Might be a little warm in June but should be a good trip

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    Might be a little warm in June but should be a good trip

Just be sure you get an early start, once you're in the canyon it should be fine, although you're right it will be warm.

7. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    How was the flow of the Escalante? From your video (dark) it was a bit hard to tell. Were you able to filter water from it?

9. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    How was the flow of the Escalante? From your video (dark) it was a bit hard to tell. Were you able to filter water from it?
    It was moving much faster & much deeper than it was last time this year. We opted to filter water 100 yards up canyon where the water is trickling & Crystal clear.

Looks like fun. I wonder if the last pot hole will ever get to real keeper mode this year. Seems like it is an easy swim out 95% of the time.

12. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Nice TR @dakotabelliston ! @Kuya still does canyons?? But he has a kid!

14. Likes pikan, dakotabelliston, Kuya liked this post
    @uintahfly - This year definitely has some serious potential. It would be interesting to experience that last pothole.
    @slotmachine Yeah I pretty much have to beg him lol. Blake is awesome.

Might be a little warm in June but should be a good trip
    Choprock itself should be fine, but the worst part will be the biting flies along the Escalante River. Wear long pants on that section for sure.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

17. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Nice TR @dakotabelliston ! @Kuya still does canyons?? But he has a kid!

LOL! we were talking about you on our trip! Hope all is going well :)

Here is a little video, just for you Bob ;)

CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    LOL! we were talking about you on our trip! Hope all is going well :)

Maaaaan, that's a nice video Blake! Your GoPro skills get better every year. Good to see you guys getting after it.

That's funny, we were just talking about you too. Tom sent us some calendars this week and we were stoked to see your shot from Stewart in there (even though it gave me flashbacks!).

20. Likes dakotabelliston, pikan liked this post
    https://youtu.be/ubFPKp3VK88

My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

22. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post

Nice TR. Perfect use of Kasket Club. :)

24. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Awesome pictures, what camera do you use?

Looks like a great outing, Blake!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It was a lot of fun. I hope to get a few more in this year :)
    My YouTube Channel