Thread: Utah legislature passes bill to eliminate mandatory vehicle safety inspections

Utah legislature passes bill to eliminate mandatory vehicle safety inspections

Seriously?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is a terrible law. Most people do not do proper vehicle maintenance.

4. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865675192/Bill-ending-mandatory-vehicle-safety-inspections-passes-Senate.html

The Senate sponsor of the bill, Sen. Deidre Henderson, R-Spanish Fork, said only 16 states currently require safety inspections. She said none of the states that have done away with the requirement saw increased accidents due to unsafe vehicles.

"Just because we don’t mandate something doesn’t mean people don’t do it," Henderson told the Senate, citing oil changes as an example. "We want to keep our cars in good working order. We want to be safe."

I support doing away with the inspections.

Not many shops actually do the complete inspections anyhow. I remember as a kid, my dad was driving our old Plymouth land yacht and the tie rod end totally broke free. Thankfully we weren't going very fast. Dad just had the car inspected a few weeks earlier.

Just had my Tahoe inspected in Sept., in January I could hear the rear brakes starting to grind metal to metal. Inspector didn't mention a word but certainly took my money.

Maybe it depends where you live. If you had a POS car and drove on salted roads, just maybe your frame or something else was a bit too rusty and weak. But in California we have no mandatory inspections and do just fine - our issues which lead to accidents are poor driving skills, including cell phone distraction, red light running etc.