Thread: Researching canyons for trip

Researching canyons for trip

I am planning on a doing a trip, 2-3 days, next month and I was wondering if anyone had some knowledge about these canyons. I've done several canyons before(including Pasture, some of the Roosts, etc) but want to make sure I don't get in over my head, particularly regarding keeper holes, I've never encountered a pothole so probably more wary about them than I should be, from what I hear these only contain semi potholes though? My partner has never done a slot canyon, so I want a very challenging canyon but not anything above my expertise level.

Water Canyon: What kind of advanced anchors are available to setup for the first repel? How easy are the semi keepers? After reading this amazing wright up http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...Robbers-Roost) I am not sure if I want to attempt that keeper with a novice... but it still sounds good
    Tidwell Canyon: Is the single piton still there? What could I plan on for natural anchors? Is this too easy?
    High Spur: How deep/challenging are these potholes? I hear this one is actually more of a walk, will this be too easy as well?

I would prefer to stay in the roost area as fits our time restraints better, but any other recommendations would be amazingly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Welcome to Bogley

Everything you could ever possibly want to know about those three canyons is here:

Tidwell Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/tidwell.htm

Water Canyon (Roost)
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/roostwater.htm

High Spur
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/highspur.htm

The only Canyon on your list with a Keeper is Water Canyon and here is my warning:

From Climb-Utah.com
    This route contains a keeper pothole and every group should devise a strategy for defeating the keeper pothole beforehand. If your group has at least one competent canyoneer that is at least 6 feet tall the keeper is a non-issue as it's easy for tall canyoneers to stem across. Escaping the pothole from within is difficult. You have been warned!
    FWIW: I consider High Spur to be one of the most scenic canyons on the Colorado Plateau, I certainly would not skip it. Honestly if you are worried about Keepers High Spur is not below your skill set as escaping keepers is basic canyoneering.

Your Handsome Tour Guide in High Spur

And if you think High Spur is a little too candyass for your skills you can always do Red Spur which is right next door. Red Spur is almost as scenic as High Spur but a noticeable step up in skill level. All the keepers in Red Spur can be defeated with a simple pack toss.

Red Spur
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/redspur.htm

Here is a video of Red Spur. You can watch the talented Marc Olivares quickly and efficiently escape a Keeper with a pack toss at the 4:40 mark. Easy Peasy...

4. Likes Scott P liked this post
    Awesome, thank you for the recommendations and information. Is the website Climb-Utah worth a subscription?(I usually only get to travel to Utah once or twice a year though)

Quote Originally Posted by sandandsand View Post
    Awesome, thank you for the recommendations and information. Is the website Climb-Utah worth a subscription?(I usually only get to travel to Utah once or twice a year though)
    It all comes down to how much is your time worth? You can spend 15 minutes reading and printing from a trusted source.... or spend hours researching from numerous sources of varying quality and reliability.

Honestly I think it's extremely valuable for someone out of state that can't afford to waste a day. If you are a local and mess up you lose a day and it's not a big deal as you can come back next week and do it right, but that doesn't work for someone on a fixed and limited time schedule.

Your mileage may vary....

7. Likes Scott P liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    It all comes down to how much is your time worth? You can spend 15 minutes reading and printing from a trusted source.... or spend hours researching from numerous sources of varying quality and reliability.

Honestly I think it's extremely valuable for someone out of state that can't afford to waste a day. If you are a local and mess up you lose a day and it's not a big deal as you can come back next week and do it right, but that doesn't work for someone on a fixed and limited time schedule.

Your mileage may vary....
    Full disclosure? Ha ha...

I'll ditto that its worth it. Beta is pretty much spot on.

I stumbled upon this older thread of yours about your bus and boat trip to Tangier Island, VA. It sounds like it was an incredible adventure! Exploring new places and enjoying delicious food is always a treat. Although it's been a few years since your trip, I hope the memories are still fresh in your mind. Tangier Island's unique charm and the tasty crab cakes and clam fritters must have left a lasting impression. By the way, if you're planning future trips or looking for exciting experiences, you might want to check out getyourguide.com. They offer a wide range of travel activities and experiences that can add extra fun to your vacations.