Thread: Northwash

Northwash

I'm looking at doing some "Kiddie Canyoneering" this weekend in Northwash. I was looking at:

- Blarney Canyons
    -Shillelagh
    -Leprechaun Right Fork
    -Conundrum

I'm looking for insight on rappel anchors, conditions, and any other useful insight.

I will have 3 first time canyoneers plus a 3 year old who will be doing tandem rappels with myself or top belayed.

Thank you for the insight !!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

-Conundrum
    There's no way I would do this canyon with a 3 year old or first timers in early March. It will likely be full of snow/ice and freezing cold water. I don't know what current conditions are, but we looked at in May once and it was filled with ice and snow. It's more of a summer canyon for most.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    I did East (Right) Fork of Leprechaun with my total noob wife and kids who were 4 and 6 at the time. If you are using my beta there is only one 20' rap, which I lowered or top roped everyone down. Several other place I set a handline to help. Nothing difficult as we just took our time. The big obstacle was actually getting everyone to swim the Subway section at the end, which had the most water I've ever seen in about 50 trips through the slot. Of course my canyoneering skills are God like so your mileage may vary.

6. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    I've also taken young kids through Blarny, but I had another experienced canyoneer with me which makes things 10 times easier. One thing to keep in mind, if you only have one experienced canyoneer in a group your safety margins are pretty skinny.

8. Likes ratagonia, dakotabelliston, Scott P liked this post
    Right Fork Leprechaun for sure. I got the same advice from Iceaxe when our family was just starting canyoneering and very glad we took it.

Raps and anchors are straightforward but I would recommend lowering the 3 year old as opposed to tandem as the raps have starts that make it difficult to rap tandem.

Left Fork Blarney would be an excellent canyon as well, especially if you were looking for a shorter day. Anchors are straightforward in this one as well.

Not quite as young, but here are the kids in Blarney at ages 6 and 8:

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

11. Likes dakotabelliston, ratagonia, Iceaxe liked this post
    So I'm thinking Saturday Blarney Left fork then right fork. Sunday if the kids have energy we could do leprechaun Right fork.

Leprechaun Right fork is the only canyon of the 3 I have done.

Do RF Leprechaun before trying the LF of Blarney as the RF Leprechaun is much easier to herd kids and noobs through. Blarney is a step up as it has two rappels that are higher. The second rappel in LF Blarney is a little sucky with noobs or young kids. Trying to tandem Rappel at this drop will totally suck as the best route down is through the rabbit hole on the north and not over the chokestone.

I also had a rule when my kids were very young that I would not do any routes with them I had not done previously, The only time I went against that rule was if the route was being led by someone I trusted who had done the route previously. YMMV

Here is my kids about 5 and 7 going through Lep.

14. Likes Scott P, dakotabelliston, whansen liked this post
    Any other canyon besides Lep R Fork anyone would recommend? I want to do 1 additional canyon down there. What about taking the kids to play around in Lucky Charms canyon or Shillelagh?

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    What about taking the kids to play around in Lucky Charms canyon or Shillelagh?
    Lower Maidenwater is 100 times better then those mentioned above.

Lower Maidenwater
    http://climb-utah.com/Powell/maidl.htm

Lower Maidewater is actually a really great canyon, it just get's overlooked in the area because it's not "technical". I really have no clue why Lower Maidenwater doesn't get more attention from hikers. As hikeable slot canyons go I think it's on par with Little Wild Horse and a step up from Ding-Dang. If you don't want to do the entire loop just hike downstream as far as you like and than turn around when you desire.

Trachyte Falls is also worth while with kids.

Trachyte Falls
    http://climb-utah.com/Powell/trachytefalls.htm

17. Likes Scott P, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Lower Maidenwater is 100 times better then those mentioned above.

Lower Maidenwater
    http://climb-utah.com/Powell/maidl.htm

Lower Maidewater is actually a really great canyon, it just get's overlooked in the area because it's not "technical". I really have no clue why Lower Maidenwater doesn't get more attention from hikers. As hikeable slot canyons go I think it's on par with Little Wild Horse and a step up from Ding-Dang. If you don't want to do the entire loop just hike downstream as far as you like and than turn around when you desire.
    I agree. It's a great canyon. The water can be chilly in March, but I have taken my kids there in February, so it is doable.

There is a chockstone obstacle that mysteriously comes and goes, but other than that, the only obstacle is some wading.

In the area of North Wash, some other good excursions are the hike up to the waterfall in Hog Canyon and the climb up Turkey Knob, both of which are nice. There is also the big pictograph panel not far from Hog Springs.

19. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post