Thread: Spot GPS Locator

Spot GPS Locator

Does anyone else have a Spot GPS locator? Are any of the add-on services worth buying?
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Don't get SPOT....an ACR PLB is better by virtue of the number of agencies who adhere to the frequency standards used by a PLB. Double check if this has changed, but it was true when I bought my first PLB 10 years ago.

Fred

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I have been a SPOT customer for the last ~5 years (maybe more). I added the $100k in SAR insurance and the message function. SPOT has worked flawlessly, but their annual renewal process is *ALWAYS* a cluster-f..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by mrfritz44 View Post
    Don't get SPOT....an ACR PLB is better by virtue of the number of agencies who adhere to the frequency standards used by a PLB. Double check if this has changed, but it was true when I bought my first PLB 10 years ago.

Fred
    I've never heard of these devices. Interesting. Their website says there isn't an annual subscription? True?
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    I have been a SPOT customer for the last ~5 years (maybe more). I added the $100k in SAR insurance and the message function. SPOT has worked flawlessly, but their annual renewal process is *ALWAYS* a cluster-f..
    Yeah, $150 per year is steep. I do like the fact that I can send 2 different pre-programmed text messages/emails to my wife. The one message just says I'm OK and here's my location. The second message says I'm OK and here's my location but, I will be home later than expected. I have tested the message sending each time Iv'e been out fatbiking up AF Canyon since I got it two weeks ago. So far, I'm impressed with it's location accuracy. Looking at the sent message with the map and location, it looks like it's accurate to within just a couple of feet. I do like the peace of mind it gives me and my wife. More times than not, I am up the canyon by myself 3-4 times a week, even during the winter.
    Are we there yet?

Here's the Spot map location link my wife received via text and email when I was up the canyon fatbiking this past Saturday morning. It's right on for where I was when I sent the gps message. https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...11.64229?hl=en
    Are we there yet?

Acca has one. Use it on our longer touring rides to let the wives know where we are and how we are progressing.

A few years back I was working in Hawaii and Acca and our riding buds were on an adventure into the upper north of Canada. They had some electronic issues and called me at 4 in the morning Hawaii time. I got out my computer and located them, then worked at calling all over the area to find the part they needed. Called Acca back and was able to give him dirctions to the small town I found the parts in. Coud have probably done it without the SPOT, but it was nice to do the legwork and help them while they were still rolling so as not to lose time.

I'm an ex-CG coxswain and own a boat now, a small 21' that I can afford. We head offshore in the best of weather, 50 miles sometimes, and I carry 2 ACR PLB's. Like I said before, location and time might have changed things, but SPOT's to me are like paying a middle man for your personal safety. Double check, but a PLB has fewer links in the chain and less annual cost from what I remember.