Thread: I don't understand airfares

I don't understand airfares

OK, so I booked my a trip to Mexico next Thanksgiving.

Round trip out of Steamboat/Hayden, a small town is $308, which is a pretty good deal. The small plane has to go to Denver before going to Mexico.

Now, if I fly out of Denver without taking the small plane to Steamboat Hayden, the price is $688 round trip. In other words, it's less than 1/2 as to take the extra small plane flight plus the other ones combined.

if I just wanted to fly from Steamboat/Hayden to Denver only the airfare is $604. In other words, if someone wanted to go to Denver, they could just book the entire itinerary to Mexico and just get off the plane in Denver and save almost 1/2 on airfare.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Round trip out of Steamboat/Hayden, a small town is $308, which is a pretty good deal. The small plane has to go to Denver before going to Mexico.

Now, if I fly out of Denver without taking the small plane to Steamboat Hayden, the price is $688 round trip. In other words, it's less than 1/2 as to take the extra small plane flight plus the other ones combined.

if I just wanted to fly from Steamboat/Hayden to Denver only the airfare is $604. In other words, if someone wanted to go to Denver, they could just book the entire itinerary to Mexico and just get off the plane in Denver and save almost 1/2 on airfare.
    Which would void the other half of your round trip ticket.

I think I read somewhere its based on individual market prices/share and flying through is a different market than a short hop, er some such. I think its pretty common to find those flight price disparities.

Hidden city ticketing or throwaway ticketing or some such. Has been lawsuits over it. Its usually a breach of contract. I wouldn't consider it myself as you lose all your frequent flyer miles and status with any airline you pull that with.

We've been watching airfares as we're looking to book for this fall. Missed our chance after Brexit when the airfares dumped to all time lows (420 roundtrip SLC to CDG? Wow!). Now they've popped back up to their usual 1200 or so.

But...I'm back in the air miles so we may book ff miles for a set of tickets. Although, if we could score tickets to Europe for 700-ish I'd probably hang onto the miles. We did SLC to Zagreb last year for 700 each, on Delta, which was a pretty nice price.

Where in Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Where in Mexico?
    Mexico City and Guadalajara. I want to finish off some more volcanoes, and my daughter Shaylee wants to go to the butterfly reserve where the hundreds of millions of monarchs gather that time of year.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

5. Likes Firedancer, Brian in SLC liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    ...<snip> . Missed our chance after Brexit when the airfares dumped to all time lows (420 roundtrip SLC to CDG? Wow!). Now they've popped back up to their usual 1200 or so. </snip>

(my snip to Brian's post above)

I did say get on a European trip PDQ! (mind you, why go to Paris? The most expensive city in Europe)

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    I did say get on a European trip PDQ! (mind you, why go to Paris? The most expensive city in Europe)
    Why? Food, art, culture, historical sights...you know, the usual.

I've been to Paris (only one night, dang it). But, found Zurich to be way more expensive. My bet is Oslo is on par as well, and Helsinki (co-workers and friends who've been say Scandinavian countries aren't cheap visits). Ditto Reykjavik.

Paris (and Amsterdam) are on the radar as they both are non-stop destination from SLC (Delta airlines). So, both airports are gateways to other Euro destinations if you have a limited amount of vacation time.

I can leave SLC for CDG on a Friday after work, and, get to just about any other destination and be "on vacation" by mid day on a Saturday. And, as much as I used to hate the airport there, its gotten much, much better for international connections.

I bet a person could spend a fair bit staying in London...or any major city in Europe. It seems for every budget, there's a way...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    (my snip to Brian's post above)

Rob
    Paris is second only to Rome for me for great European cities. I could easily spend a month there. Not to mention, the SLC-Paris non-stop flight is the best.

Speaking of annoying airfare, last year when my wife and I were going to Rome, our internet went down while I was booking, and when I went back to do it the next day, the tix went from like $1,100 to $1,400. 1st world problems.

I've just spent a 3-day trip in Poland as twelve friends and couples. Total bill ( including airfares from UK, hotels, meals, drinks etc) was about £250 per head (say $300). The welcome in Poland is better than I expect from my friends in the US.

As tourists, we all go to Paris, Rome, London, NY, Grand Canyon, Arches NP, Zion NP etc, but when you start to understand what there is really to see, you don't go to those touristy places any more.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    ...our internet went down while I was booking, and when I went back to do it the next day, the tix went from like $1,100 to $1,400. 1st world problems.
    Go to the local library (or to your neighbour) and use their ISP. You'll find it at your original price.

Rob