Page 11 of 168 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: President Trump

Looks like Trump just layed down a marker. It's a whole new world, boys and girls.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah...dessert after dinner with China's president?

Tomahawks.

At least according to the fake liberal news outlets.

Wow. Ratings boost? More importantly (to Iceaxe), is, how will the market react?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    More importantly (to Iceaxe), is, how will the market react?
    The stock market will drop as it doesn't like uncertainty.

Hillary Clinton called on the US to take out Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad's Air Force in the wake of the chemical attack that killed more than 70 people.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politi...inkId=36275285

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Hillary Clinton called on the US to take out Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad's Air Force in the wake of the chemical attack that killed more than 70 people.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politi...inkId=36275285
    It will be interesting to see how the Clinton News Network spins Trump is a failure for doing exactly what Hillary suggested, but I'm sure they will try.

On an interesting side note I wonder how dinner with China's Xi went tonight....

Trump: Yo Xi, you know how Russia is in bed with Syria and is doing little to help solve the Syrian civil war and unrest in the Middle East?

Xi: I think I heard something about that.

Trump: Hold my Pepsi and watch this.....

Trump: Now Xi, how about we discuss a solution to our North Korea problem.......

9. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    That's actually good advice.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    On an interesting side note I wonder how dinner with China's Xi went tonight....
    I'd say that Trump pulled a hat trick tonight. All he had to do was something absolutely necessary...ANYONE that uses WMDs should be spanked immediately. What a fart in the wind Obama was.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

You do realize that you have Obama to thank for about 90% of that lose in value on both your home and Peabody stock don't you? We can argue the exact percentage but it's a big number any way you look at it.
    Obviously I know that the regulations have hurt the coal industry's profits.

I actually know a lot more than you think I know. If you want to know the truth, I went to go work for the coal industry after my wife started having heart problems. With my old job we were hit two years in a row with our max out of pocket medical costs of $30,000 a year. Even though we have worked hard to save money, I didn't think we could afford to do that every single year. So I went to work for the only industry in this area, the coal industry. I thought that even though I support alternative energy, I might even be able to make a positive impact in an industry I wasn't 100% on board with. I used to track the coal industry's production. It was my job and I was good with numbers.

Well, I couldn't have been more wrong in my decision. I was always asked to do things which I considered to be completely dishonest and unethical. I would justify myself by trying to convince myself that I was only doing this for fear of losing everything due to medical expenses. I decided that I myself would only use alternative energy for power, so I really wasn't hurting anyone. I did what I was told. Under instructions of my employer, I even met with Mitt Romney on behalf of the coal industry. Don't believe me? Check the newspapers (which I never hoped would never be read by anyone who knew me):

http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/artic...es-craig-crowd

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2...nd-gop-ideals/

I made a lot of money and had good medical insurance, but I lost my dignity and became more and more depressed. I betrayed my own beliefs and the coal industry was more unethical than I ever imagined. They aren't honest either.

After a few years everyone just thought that I was shy and not outspoken. The truth was that I hate doing unethical things and would just keep my mouth shut. Since the company wanted me to be more of a public figure and be seen more in the public, they sent me to some expensive training in Vegas in hopes that I would overcome my "fear of speaking in public". Actually, I have no fear of speaking in public; I was just ashamed and embarrassed about working for the company. So, after the training, I left and told the company that I couldn't do this anymore.

Now I make a lot less money, the insurance isn't as good, and my job is less stable. I do have my dignity back though.

I guess that I am not willing to sell my soul to the Devil to make more money. I actually did so temporarily, and tried to justify it by saying that I was providing a life saving procedure for my wife. I was wrong and am very ashamed about working for an unethical company and industry.

So bottomline I just want you to understand what Obama's 'clean energy' has cost you personally.
    Obama's clean energy plan may have costs me money, but he coal industry cost me my dignity. I have no doubt whatsoever on which has more value.

Working for the coal industry is one of the biggest regrets that I have. The only advice I have to give on the matter is to always stay true to yourself.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

13. Likes hank moon liked this post
    I guess you would have to tell me about all your unethical experiences, because that is the complete opposite from my experience in mining. My customers are all extremely strict about following professional and industry standards. Or perhaps they know if asked to do something unethical I'd tell them straight up it's not going to happen. Either way, it's an issue that has never presented itself to me.

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    ANYONE that uses WMDs should be spanked immediately.
    Ain't no paddle big enough?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ov/15/usa.iraq

I guess you would have to tell me about all your unethical experiences, because that is the complete opposite from my experience in mining. My customers are all extremely strict about following professional and industry standards. Or perhaps they know if asked to do something unethical I'd tell them straight up it's not going to happen. Either way, it's an issue that has never presented itself to me.
    It has happened to me twice, once in the gold refining industry and once in the coal industry.

Without going into too many details, when I worked at the gold refinery, they were intentionally poisoning the city water supply in order to save money on pollution controls. My two ex-bosses were indicted for conspiracy:

https://www.justice.gov/archive/opa/..._enrd_166.html

Charged:

https://www.justice.gov/archive/opa/..._enrd_834.html

Unfortunately, I knew there was a lot of unethical practices going on (I worked there 1995-1999), but being in my 20's, I was too foolish to blow the whistle, my other employment regret of my life.

Incidentally, the place was always having chlorine leaks and explosions. I was actually severely burned (most of the skin off my arms and other places of my body) in a hydrogen explosion in 1997 while doing exactly what my supervisors told me to do (hydrogen is completely oder-less, so you can't tell when it builds up). While in the hospital, I told my supervisors exactly what happened and how. They told me "that can't happen, you must have done ____". I said no, I was doing what you told me to as instructed. So, while I was still in the hospital they had someone else try the same thing and he too got blown up and was life-flighted to the hospital I was in. I was a nice guy and still wanted a good job reference, so like a fool, I didn't sue, but I now days I would have. Having another guy blown up while I was still in the hospital probably would have made the case.

Unfortunately, even with the poisoning of the ground water, my ex-bosses only got a slap on the wrist. They never did do any jail time. They also did a lot worse things than what they were caught for.

As for the coal industry, I can tell you that they pollute a lot more than they let on and there are ways of getting around reporting it. Since this is a small town dependent on the coal industry, and I still live here, I won't say too much on a public forum (you never know who might read it), but I'll be happy to talk to you about it sometime in private.

Obviously, mining is an extremely important industry and necessary for civilization as we know it. I am by no means against mining. I can say however, that my stints with the gold and coal industries weren't positive (and I indeed did see unethical things occur), but obviously, not every company and industry is like that.

Scott - how did MSHA not get involved with all of this? The MSHA I know would be licking their chops for an opportunity to cite an operator that commits such egregious acts.

And I'm with Shane on this one. I've been in the mining industry for over a decade and the mines where I've worked have always been quite diligent at strictly playing by the rules. It's too expensive to gamble with safety and ethics.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

18. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Scott - how did MSHA not get involved with all of this? The MSHA I know would be licking their chops for an opportunity to cite an operator that commits such egregious acts.
    The safety issues happened at the refinery, which is under OSHA rather than MSHA. OSHA did contact me while I was in the hospital and ask questions and took notes, but I never heard from them again. MSHA seems a lot more strict to me.

As far as safety goes, the mine was actually extremely safety cautious with the exception of the union. The reason that I say the union was the exception is because they make it almost impossible for someone to get fired. One of the truck drivers hit the blade operator and caused injury. The truck driver actually was fired, but he went to the union and the union made the company take him back.

As far as ethics go, I'll PM you and we can discuss it there.

I'd say that Trump pulled a hat trick tonight. All he had to do was something absolutely necessary...ANYONE that uses WMDs should be spanked immediately. What a fart in the wind Obama was.
    Obama did go to congress and ask for permission to launch strikes against Syria. See here on Congress' own website:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-...-resolution/21

The Republican majority Congress voted against it.

See also here from Congress' website, where Obama was criticized for wanting to wanting to launch an attack against Assad for using chemical weapons (PS, the the Republican speaker actually has some very good points):

THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE PRESIDENT BEATS THE DRUMS FOR WAR

The SPEAKER pro tempore. The Chair recognizes the gentleman from
    Texas (Mr. Poe) for 5 minutes.

Mr. POE of Texas. Madam Speaker, the drums of war are being beaten by
    the President who, ironically, won the Nobel Peace Prize. The ``Peace
    President'' wants to fire missiles into Syria because tyrant Assad is
    violating the rules of war by allegedly using chemical weapons. The
    President's goal is not to remove Assad, not to destroy the chemical
    weapons, but to send Assad a message.

To be clear, there is no imminent national security threat or
    interest for the United States by us starting this war. And make no
    mistake, shooting rockets into another country is an act of war.

War has consequences. What if the outlaw Assad chooses then to use
    chemical weapons again or chooses to shoot back? He could retaliate
    against the United States, one of our embassies, the Navy that fired
    the rockets, or other U.S. military installations, or even specific
    troops, or retaliate against his neighbor, Turkey, or Israel, using our
    aggression as an excuse. In any of these situations, this limited war
    escalates with more U.S. response, intervention, and involvement.

Now, who are the players in this war that is taking place already? On
    one side you have Syria, tyrant Assad, with the aid of Russia, with the
    aid of Iran that news reports say has 10,000 Iranian troops in Syria,
    and Hezbollah. Hezbollah, as you remember, Madam Speaker, is a
    terrorist group.

Then, on the other side, you have the Free Syrian Army. You have
    patriots. You have mercenaries, paid soldiers from other countries. You
    have criminals that have come in to just pillage the land and use this
    as an opportunity. You also have al Nusra, an al Qaeda affiliate. You
    also have al Qaeda from Iraq. Now, last time I recall, the United
    States is already at war with al Qaeda. They are the enemy of the
    United States.
    All of that may be down the road. And why would the United States
    want to get involved in this situation?

So today, Madam Speaker, I have filed a resolution stating that no
    U.S. funds will be used for this war with Syria. This religious civil
    war is not our war. So no money for the ``Peace President's'' war. And
    if he starts a war with Syria, I suggest the President return the Nobel
    Peace Prize. If he really wants to send a message, he should follow
    Samuel Goldwyn's advice: ``try Western Union.''
    And that's just the way it is.

So now Republicans are happy about Trump doing exactly the same thing they criticized Obama for wanting to do? (Not that the Dem's would be much better).

Obama was pretty much considered a giant pussy by the entire planet when it came to a fight. I'm not saying that was good of bad, and that he didn't have legitimate reasons for going what he did. But that world perception did cause a lot of other issues.

For better or worse world perception of the US did a major 180 last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Obama did go to congress and ask for permission to launch strikes against Syria. See here on Congress' own website:

The Republican majority Congress voted against it.

So now Republicans are happy about Trump doing exactly the same thing they criticized Obama for wanting to do? (Not that the Dem's would be much better).
    Good post, Scott...I was aware of this but hadn't heard Poe's speech.

First of all, I believe Obama should have blown right past Congress just like Trump just did. If the UN, the US and Europe are going to sit by as these wars continue, then the chemical or WMD "red line" should be definitive, AT LEAST.

Also, I agree that if the Dems where running Congress right now, and Trump asked permission, they'd deny him, too. Almost certainly they'd frame it as Wag the Dog.

I don't care one bit about the Republicans this, or the Democrats that when it comes to decisive matters like this. The President did what had to be done and I'm glad for it. Besides, this may have a silver lining regardless of the rhetoric and posturing by our belligerents. We can wipe out virtually everything they have in a matter of hours, and it's about time we reminded them of that.

Trump had to react...and now he's going to sit across from the Russians and those people are going to damn well know they're not dealing with Obama anymore.

I wonder how comfortable Assad is surrounded by Russian mobsters?
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Question to anyone supporting Syrian intervention:

How is this going to make things better?

Assad is indeed a thug, but he isn't a religious extremist and he hasn't done anything to the U.S.

This is Syria without Assad:

Also, while using chemical weapons such as sarin gas is indeed very terrible, how is it worse than bombing the s*** out of everything, or using missiles and land mines? If you survive a gas attack, the long term affects are relatively minor compared to the effects of surviving and IED or landmine. Having been in the military, I can saw that I'd rather survive a Sarin attack over and IED or landmine. I'd rather be killed by gas than beheaded with a hacksaw or stoned, which is what the opposition to Assad does.

This isn't a knock against Trump or Trump supporters. Clinton wanted attack Assad as well. So does McCain and many other people.

I am all for military action when there might be a positive action and if we are protecting our allies and those who share our values. I can't see anything positive coming out of ousting Assad. Ousting Assad will just cause things to go from bad to worst, just as ousting Qaddafi and Saddam did.

Syria will not all of the sudden become a peace loving democracy if we oust Assad. We have nothing to gain by doing so and we will just get more entrenched in the mess.

24. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    And in today's important news....

Gorsuch is now on the Supreme Court
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...eme-court.html

This was my number one reason for supporting Trump in the 2016 election.

Replacing Ruth Bader Ginsburg will probably be next as I hear the supply of aborted bady fetus blood that has been keeping her alive is nearly exhausted.

USAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSA

26. Likes nelsonccc, tallsteve liked this post