Page 17 of 168 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: President Trump

I gotta see that movie again...so prophetic its frightening...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sean Spicer resigns as White House press secretary

Can a president pardon himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Can a president pardon himself?
    Just curious.... what crime would he be pardoning himself from?

I'll admit Trump has a bad habit of stepping on his own dick, but I've seen no actual crimes despite what #fakenews would like you to believe.

And FWIW, many scholars believe a President has the power to pardon himself. As the laws are currently written the president has the power to grant pardons, and there is nothing in the law excluding the president from granting himself a pardon.

If a President did grant himself a pardon it would mostly like be tied up in courts for many years or at least until no one gave a crap anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious.... what crime would he be pardoning himself from?

I'll admit Trump has a bad habit of stepping on his own dick, but I've seen no actual crimes despite what #fakenews would like you to believe.

And FWIW, many scholars believe a President has the power to pardon himself. As the laws are currently written the president has the power to grant pardons, and there is nothing in the law excluding the president from granting himself a pardon.

If a President did grant himself a pardon it would mostly like be tied up in courts for many years or at least until no one gave a crap anymore.
    If this is the case, why didn't Nixon pardon himself? Instead he had Ford do it after he resigned.

THANK YOU CNN FOR MAKING A BIG DEAL OF THIS

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    If this is the case, why didn't Nixon pardon himself? Instead he had Ford do it after he resigned.
    If a President did actually pardon himself if would probably send the country spinning into chaos.

The question was is it legal for a President to pardon himself, not if it was a wise choice. Ford pardoning Nixon was a great solution to a messy problem. The one thing we really can't have in this country is defeated political figures being tossed into prison, that is for 3rd world shit holes.

This is also why you will never see Hillary in prison, even if others have serverd time for the same crimes (mishandling of classified information).

From the New Yorker:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/023af682-174d-3c3b-927b-f010debe1a99/ss_girl-scouts-obtain.html

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In an extraordinary rebuke of the President of the United States, the Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. have obtained a restraining order against Donald J. Trump.

The order, which the Girls Scouts were granted on Monday night, prevents Trump from coming within three hundred feet of any gathering of the Scouts’ organization.

Carol Foyler, a Girl Scouts spokesperson, said that while the G.S.U.S.A. sought the restraining order “out of an abundance of caution,” the girls themselves were “in no way, shape or form” afraid of President Trump.

“They’re prepared to deal with bobcats and bears,” she said. “They can handle a malignant narcissist.”

Trump wasted little time responding to the Girl Scouts’ action, lashing out at the organization in a blistering early-morning tweet storm.

“Failing Girl Scouts bad (or sick) guys,” Trump wrote. “Mints, cookies terrible. Sad!”

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

***YAWN***

exactly what the US population needs.... more #fakenews.

***YAWN***

exactly what the US population needs.... more #fakenews.
    It's satirical. I saw at least some humor in it, especially the tweet.

Would you have preferred a serious post or can only pro-Trumpers post jokes or satire?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

OK, here is a serious one. I wonder what the score would be for CNN on a Truth o Meter? I'm not saying that CNN is always reliable, but I wonder how they would compare to Trump?

Over the years Politifact has been very non-partisan and fair in calling out all political parties, politicians, and political figures.

Here is Trump's latest score:

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

Name:  trump truth.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  26.2 KB

Call it fake if you want, but Politifact has been more than fair in calling out all politicians.

Trump scores lower than any politician I know of, regardless of political party with 17% of True and Mostly True statements.

So while "fake news" should be called out if indeed fake, so should statements by Trump and others.

CNN = #fakenews

Why are you comparing CNN to Trump? That is not their competition.

I doubt CNN will ever recover from this. They now score lower than Nick at Night in the cable ratings war, which is sad because at one time they were the gold standard for cable news. Fox is now the top rated cable news network and is who you should be comparing CNN #fakenews with.

Trump should be compared to other presidents, or have you already forgotten "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" or "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor". Better to compare apple's to apple's.

CNN = #fakenews

Why are you comparing CNN to Trump? That is not their competition.

I doubt CNN will ever recover from this. They now score lower than Nick at Night in the cable ratings war, which is sad because at one time they were the gold standard for cable news. Fox is now the top rated cable news network and is who you should be comparing CNN #fakenews with.

Trump should be compared to other presidents, or have you already forgotten "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" or "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor". Better to compare apple's to apple's.

It is you guys who keep bringing up the CNN/Trump thing, not me.

I agree that Trump should be compared to other presidents. I will post the comparison later. I can't really do it on the phone.

To save you the suspense, Obama scored a 49% on the Truth O Meter for true and mostly true statements, which means that 51% of his statements were either half truths or falsehoods. That's really not good in my book.

To me is pretty sad that 49% actually looks good compared to the next president.

Everyone lies at times, but telling the truth only 17% of the time doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I said ***yawn*** more #fakenews, I never mentioned Trump anywhere in the same post. And I've never compared Trump to any news organization, I only compare him to other politicians.

No need to post a comparison as all politicians lie, some more than others. Some of those lies actually cost American lives (see Benghazi).

I said ***yawn*** more #fakenews, I never mentioned Trump anywhere in the same post.

No need to post a comparison as all politicians lie, some more than others. Some of those lies actually cost American lives (see Benghazi).
    Or Iraq, pollution, etc., all of which killed/kill thousands of times more then Benghazi.

Yes, all politicians lie (everyone does from time to time), but should it be acceptable to us? Why shouldn't politicians (all of them, not just Trump or one political party) be held to a standard of telling the truth? They should be called out.

So should news agencies.

News agencies should report the news accurately and without bias. CNN in nolonger a news agency, they are now an advocate, that is a huge difference.

As for the cartoon, Trump has destroyed CNN by pointing out they are advocates and not news. That cartoon has nothing to do with comparing the two.

News agencies should report the news accurately and without bias.
    Not possible. Part of the reason (a big part) is described here:

https://wwnorton.com/college/history...inion-1922.pdf

News agencies should report the news accurately and without bias.
    I do not disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Not possible. Part of the reason (a big part) is described here:

https://wwnorton.com/college/history...inion-1922.pdf
    They should at least try to be unbiased and fair.