Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Presidential Election

I gotta see that movie again...so prophetic its frightening...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sean Spicer resigns as White House press secretary

Can a president pardon himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Can a president pardon himself?
    Just curious.... what crime would he be pardoning himself from?

I'll admit Trump has a bad habit of stepping on his own dick, but I've seen no actual crimes despite what #fakenews would like you to believe.

And FWIW, many scholars believe a President has the power to pardon himself. As the laws are currently written the president has the power to grant pardons, and there is nothing in the law excluding the president from granting himself a pardon.

If a President did grant himself a pardon it would mostly like be tied up in courts for many years or at least until no one gave a crap anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious.... what crime would he be pardoning himself from?

I'll admit Trump has a bad habit of stepping on his own dick, but I've seen no actual crimes despite what #fakenews would like you to believe.

And FWIW, many scholars believe a President has the power to pardon himself. As the laws are currently written the president has the power to grant pardons, and there is nothing in the law excluding the president from granting himself a pardon.

If a President did grant himself a pardon it would mostly like be tied up in courts for many years or at least until no one gave a crap anymore.
    If this is the case, why didn't Nixon pardon himself? Instead he had Ford do it after he resigned.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

THANK YOU CNN FOR MAKING A BIG DEAL OF THIS

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    If this is the case, why didn't Nixon pardon himself? Instead he had Ford do it after he resigned.
    If a President did actually pardon himself if would probably send the country spinning into chaos.

The question was is it legal for a President to pardon himself, not if it was a wise choice. Ford pardoning Nixon was a great solution to a messy problem. The one thing we really can't have in this country is defeated political figures being tossed into prison, that is for 3rd world shit holes.

This is also why you will never see Hillary in prison, even if others have serverd time for the same crimes (mishandling of classified information).