Page 23 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: President Trump

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    You're the one that said that "Making money from investments is also mooching off the system, just in a different way." So, when you said that, 'it just meant whatever you wanted it to mean in order to make a point, "be right," judge others, etc. Totally subjective.'???

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but your claim just seemed so ridiculous. To me, not by any stretch of the imagination, and not by any logical definition of any of the vocabulary, could you say: "Making money from investments is also mooching off the system, just in a different way."
    What I was trying to say is that "mooching off the system" is a politically loaded term that is entirely subjective. Its meaning will vary with the individual. Old fake news dies hard. For example: the notorious "Welfare Queen" myth that has long been discredited - it still resonates in national politics. So when folks start tossing "mooching off the system" around as if it's as well defined as the number 2, it's time to poke holes in it.

It's a fair question to ask, "what is earning" b/c of its inherent subjectivity. For example, there are ways to "earn" money through investments, and there are ways to "steal" or "mooch" money through investments. I submit that most folks who invest money are receiving more money than is their due by a moral standard of "earning" That is, if you have enough money, you can simply hire someone to invest it for you, make a bunch of dough, without really "earning" it in the sense that you put forth a real effort to receive that money. In other words, buying money is not earning money (to me), so what is it? I call it "mooching off the system."

What would be a real-life example to your mind of "mooching off the system" ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mooching off of the system is in the eye of the beholder. To some it may be a single mom with 3 kids living on welfare, to another it may be a Southern Utah welfare rancher paying significantly below market rates to keep their cattle on public land, to still others it may be a corn famer succeeding thanks to ethanol mandates and subsidies.

It's easy of course to point at the other team and see then mooching, harder is to see where your team may be mooching.

Mooching of the system is using someone else's resources when you can provide for yourself. Investing in the stock market with your own money does not qualify.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

6. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    The more openly racist folk are still upset that a black man occupied the White® House. Interesting parallel between the monument-topplers and these sad attempts at erasing more recent history (at taxpayer expense, natch).

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    The more openly racist folk are still upset that a black man occupied the White® House.
    I'm kinda one of those dudes. It's not that he was black that bothered me, it's that he was a lazy caricature. He should have brought the black community at least a little bit out of the ghetto. Instead he and his media puppet masters made it worse. They created a freaky kind of war between class, race and sex.

It's funny to me that guys like Sharpton and Farrakhan preach about the house negro being bought up in politics only to be manipulated by the Jewish heirarchy, and that's exacty what happened. Friggin' ironic, huh?

It's all just a three ringed circus side show of freaks.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

9. Likes hank moon, Iceaxe liked this post
    ^^^THIS^^^

When Obama was elected I thought, well at least this guy understands race relations and will be able to forward that agenda..... WRONG! .... Obama set race relations back 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

When Obama was elected I thought, well at least this guy understands race relations and will be able to forward that agenda..... WRONG! .... Obama set race relations back 30 years.
    And you really think Trump is doing better with this? (Serious question).

Racism has no place in modern society (and I do know that it's not only whites that can be racists).

Obama and the Democrats have been weak with calling out Islamic racism, but the Republicans have been weak with calling out right wing terrorism. I'm not afraid to call out both sides.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

No, Trump is doing no better. But I never expected Trump to be great at fixing race relations, that's a HUGE difference. At least Trump hasn't set black race relations back 30 years like Obama did.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    The more openly racist folk are still upset that a black man occupied the White® House. Interesting parallel between the monument-topplers and these sad attempts at erasing more recent history (at taxpayer expense, natch).
    See your wrong again, which it seems you take great pride in...

You see, I was equally upset with his white half..

your better at mooching off the system than trolling, go back to doing what you have perfected..
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I'm kinda one of those dudes. It's not that he was black that bothered me, it's that he was a lazy caricature. He should have brought the black community at least a little bit out of the ghetto. Instead he and his media puppet masters made it worse. They created a freaky kind of war between class, race and sex.

It's funny to me that guys like Sharpton and Farrakhan preach about the house negro being bought up in politics only to be manipulated by the Jewish heirarchy, and that's exacty what happened. Friggin' ironic, huh?

It's all just a three ringed circus side show of freaks.
    I had the same thought. As far as I was concerned, the fact that he got elected was objective proof that the USA was moving beyond its ugly past with regards to racism and all that.

If he had come into the office and told the country that just because you are born a black kid in a poor family and raised by a single mother, it doesn't mean that you can't go to the best schools, get a great job, care for your family, and who knows, become the president of the United States of America, I think that things could be much better than they are now.

That's not what he did though. Every time something happened or he got up to speak, he told us all about how america hates black people and that until recently, they weren't allowed into museums or whatever it was they were talking about at the time. That really doesn't help much at all. In fact, if you want to move forward, the best way to do that is to not look back. It felt like that's all he did was look backwards in regards to race relations. As a result, the entire country started to do the same thing and suddenly, we're right back in it.

15. Likes twotimer, Iceaxe, hank moon liked this post
    I don't listen or watch most of Trump's addresses to the nation, but I have noticed all of them that I can remember, he emphasizes coming together as all Americans. I don't follow politics much because it's just something else to get mad at while not having any control, but jeez at least the dude is trying to build relations with the black community.

He could just throw millions at the problem but he's down in Houston visiting with the victims.

Of course, here's how CNN would view it, in this near non parody.

17. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Iceaxe liked this post
    ROFLMAO.........

Who is the wax-figure anchorman on that report? Or is it computer-generated?

Genuine q.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Who is the wax-figure anchorman on that report? Or is it computer-generated?

Genuine q.

Rob
    At the end in the corner? That's Mark Dice.

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    I had the same thought. As far as I was concerned, the fact that he got elected was objective proof that the USA was moving beyond its ugly past with regards to racism and all that.

If he had come into the office and told the country that just because you are born a black kid in a poor family and raised by a single mother, it doesn't mean that you can't go to the best schools, get a great job, care for your family, and who knows, become the president of the United States of America, I think that things could be much better than they are now.

That's not what he did though. Every time something happened or he got up to speak, he told us all about how america hates black people and that until recently, they weren't allowed into museums or whatever it was they were talking about at the time. That really doesn't help much at all. In fact, if you want to move forward, the best way to do that is to not look back. It felt like that's all he did was look backwards in regards to race relations. As a result, the entire country started to do the same thing and suddenly, we're right back in it.
    Holy Moses dude...that was a beautiful post.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

22. Likes devo_stevo liked this post
    Thanks a lot. I really believe that he had a great opportunity to move this country into a better place. More than any person in history. He squandered it due to his bitterness toward the past. Whether you agree with him politically or not, it doesn't matter. Nobody else has had the ability that he did to move this country in a positive direction regarding racial issues than him, and he threw it away.

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

25. Likes qedcook liked this post
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    Thanks a lot. I really believe that he had a great opportunity to move this country into a better place. More than any person in history. He squandered it due to his bitterness toward the past. Whether you agree with him politically or not, it doesn't matter. Nobody else has had the ability that he did to move this country in a positive direction regarding racial issues than him, and he threw it away.
    Its interesting, the Obama legacy, especially with regard to race.

What demographic or data would you point to that shows his success or failure?

Hate crimes against people of color up or down during his presidency? Down.

This trend up or down under Trump? Up.

Estimate of racially focused hate group numbers up or down during Obama? Down.

Trend up or down under Trump? Up.

Anyhow...interesting to ponder. Double standards...damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

Thoughtful article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...sident/309064/

Obama's response to the Trayvon situation? His speech after the verdict is pretty interesting to consider:

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...trayvon-martin

Ferguson?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.bef27d0c3573

Ours is a nation of laws: of citizens who live under them and for the citizens who enforce them.

Obama's background? Columbia then Harvard Law. In the big media frenzy race issues of the day, he let the law run its course. Didn't take sides. Let the process work.

Remember...he taught constitutional law.

I've always liked this quote:

“The thing is, a black man can’t be president in America, given the racial aversion and history that’s still out there,” Cornell Belcher, a pollster for Obama, told the journalist Gwen Ifill after the 2008 election. “However, an extraordinary, gifted, and talented young man who happens to be black can be president.”

Did he move the needle? Yeah, probably. Slow a better process than rapid change when it comes to some of this stuff.