Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Retailer Show Boycott in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I like companies who care about their customers and not politics. Turns me off.
    It's not clear to me how these companies are not caring about their customers. Would you explain?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's a big part of the human condition to see flaws in others while ignoring our own. People tend to align themselves with and buy products from those who agree with them on several levels.

People who value access to public lands tend to buy products from companies that support this notion and provide products that allow them to enjoy themselves while accessing those lands. As far as I'm concerned they are caring about their customers.

To say that it's lame that these companies did this because they're jerks then turn around and say that you'll never buy another Black Diamond product again is also lame. You are doing the exact same thing that they did and you are complaining about.

4. Likes Udink, Scott P liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    It's not clear to me how these companies are not caring about their customers. Would you explain?
    Are they relocating because of personal political opinions, or to serve their customers better?

I don't think that the customers will be served any less than they were before. The real downer about this is the small guys that have built up a business in Utah because this show was local. I think a lot of them will not survive as it's tough to compete. At least before they had a platform to stand on. Now the rug has been pulled from beneath their feet.

Scott, your comparison of the OR show to gun control is not the same on numerous levels. But just to list the most obvious.... the right to keep and bear arms is a right and not a privilege. It's number two in the Bill of Rights for a reason, right next to freedom speach, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, Yada, yada....

Hosting the OR show is a privilege and not a right.... see the difference?

So basically your comparison is apples to elephants... probably best to discuss the OR staying or leaving on its own merits and not try and link it to the US Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Are they relocating because of personal political opinions, or to serve their customers better?
    No way to know. An argument could be made that the OR move is the direct result of one man's political opinions (Chouinard's). If Chouinard had not taken the initiative to pull Patagonia out, would OR be moving out now? Again, no way to know, really. My view is that some of OR's customers will be better served by the move, and others won't. In terms of customer service, the move will likely be viewed as neutral by most. As with everything in life, there is no gain without loss, and vice versa.

9. Likes accadacca, Sombeech liked this post

No way to know. An argument could be made that the OR move is the direct result of one man's political opinions (Chouinard's). If Chouinard had not taken the initiative to pull Patagonia out, would OR be moving out now? Again, no way to know, really. My view is that some of OR's customers will be better served by the move, and others won't. In terms of customer service, the move will likely be viewed as neutral by most. As with everything in life, there is no gain without loss, and vice versa.
    Wasn't just Coonyard. Metcalf, who helped get the OR here, has been very vocal about it as well. And a large number of other folks.

And, its not like Patagonia is pulling up stakes here. Their retail store on Highland (former home to Frontier Anglers), which is their second location on Highland (nearly across from the old Villa Theater and the original location for IME), doesn't have any plans to close. Nor have we heard that BD is leaving.

So, as far as pulling out on their customers...remember, this is a trade show which put buyers and sellers of outdoor stuff together at the dealer level, not the base primary consumer customer level.

Sure, maybe you could boycott all the retailers who're leaving...but...my guess is their loyal customer base will still support them more than ever (so sayeth me and my four new Patagonia Hawaiian shirts I got this last week). Danged if Patagucci doesn't make some fine fishin' gear too...

Funny to watch the local news media...out on the street, in their North Face, BD and Arcteryx (damn Canadians...ha ha) jackets. All with a heavy booth presence at the show.

Hank...you have to feel for poor ol' Tom, eh? He'd be an interesting chat after all this. Talk about caught in the middle.

Peter and Gary...maybe happier days (August 2010):

Name:  OR 8-10 Metcalf Herbert 1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  164.8 KB

What I'll miss about it is the buzz of the industry and being able to catch up with the many friends. As a local, was nice to have it here. I can't see myself travelling to another location...

Local company, started by Conrad and Alf...originally as Alfwear:

http://www.kuhl.com/content/press/bears-ears/

Heavy sigh.

Wasn't just Coonyard. Metcalf, who helped get the OR here, has been very vocal about it as well. And a large number of other folks.
    Chouinard was the first to take real action, after many years of a few heavies being "vocal" - kudos to him for personal integrity, etc., but...

Hank...you have to feel for poor ol' Tom, eh? He'd be an interesting chat after all this. Talk about caught in the middle.
    I'd guess Tom is mostly there for socializing, variety ogling and free beer. :-) . Tom?

I'd guess Tom is mostly there for socializing, variety ogling and free beer. :-) . Tom?
    Not this Tom...that Tom (formerly of Petzl and Liberty)...you know, the one that works directly for the Guv. The one who's wife makes awesome cookies...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Not this Tom...that Tom (formerly of Petzl and Liberty)...you know, the one that works directly for the Guv. The one who's wife makes awesome cookies...
    Oh,THAT Tom - yeah. mMMmmmm. Gwendo's cookies...

Update: FAQ Available on Outdoor Retailer's Decision to Move the Show

Hello Outdoor Retailer Community,

Our decision to review venue options was a business decision for Outdoor Retailer. We’ve been exploring a change of dates for some time to better suit the evolving buy/sell cycle, optimize our hotel blocks and work with the city to provide adequate space for our growing show. We were at a fork in the road—extend our current contracts in Salt Lake City, or look for other options that would best support our efforts. We sought to co-locate with Grassroots Outdoor Alliance and respond to the growing concerns of the industry for a location that was more in line with the values of the community. On February 6, 2017 we announced that we would issue requests for proposals to seek a new home for Outdoor Retailer.

It is clear that the heart and soul of our decision was not fully understood in light of recent news stories about public lands and the larger political discussions. Our goal is to continue to host a show that serves the needs of the industry. The overwhelming support of the show from retailers and brands, both publicly and privately, confirms the value and vitality of Outdoor Retailer as fulfilling a critical need. It is the only gathering where the entire industry comes together to build community, conduct commerce, share best practices and exchange ideas. This show is essential for iconic brands and retailers of all sizes, and will endure through this current challenge.

Perhaps it’s serendipity, but the entire situation has shed light on the value of public lands, and unified our community. Without access to public lands, our industries will not thrive.

In an effort to clarify fact from passionate discussions, the Outdoor Retailer team has answered questions we have been asked most frequently. You can access the FAQs on outdoorretailer.com. If we haven’t answered your question, please feel free to reach out to our team:

Retailers and Reps can contact: Larry Harrison, Brand Development Director or Joe Bustos, Retail Relations Manger

Exhibitors can contact: Krista Dill, National Sales Director

Media can contact: Kate Lowery, Director of Public Relations

On behalf of our team, I thank you for your continued support of Outdoor Retailer. We ask that you share this information with your team and visit unity.outdoorretailer.com to learn more about the opportunities to talk about U.S. public lands at Summer Market. We look forward to seeing you in Salt Lake in July.

Thank you,

Marisa Nicholson
    VP & Show Director, Outdoor Retailer

Perhaps it’s serendipity, but the entire situation has shed light on the value of public lands, and unified our community. Without access to public lands, our industries will not thrive.
    I don't get it. Why do they keep bringing up the issue of "access" to public lands? Monument status, wilderness designation, National Recreation Areas, etc. are all about RESTRICTING access.

I don't understand the lost revenue issue either. Is the state loosing 40+ million in lost taxes? That would mean these people spend A LOT of money. Or is it lost revenue for local businesses like hotels, restaurants and bars?

17. Likes accadacca, Iceaxe liked this post
    It is clear that the heart and soul of our decision was not fully understood in light of recent news stories about public lands and the larger political discussions.
    Calling bullshit on this statement.

Calling bullshit on this statement.
    the faq in hank's post provides some clarity. what exactly are you calling bullshit on?

Outdoor Retailer Show Boycott in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    the faq in hank's post provides some clarity. what exactly are you calling bullshit on?
    Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it sounds like they are saying the lands issue wasn't the primary reason for leaving. Kinda trying to back peddle.

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it sounds like they are saying the lands issue wasn't the primary reason for leaving. Kinda trying to back peddle.
    they are not at all backpedaling on that. they say "wasn't fully understood" which might mean they felt they needed to supplement incomplete information or counter misinformation or misunderstood information.

Acca, your not reading it wrong. The OR Show received some bad press for several legitimate reasons when they announced they were pulling out of Utah. The FAQ is their attempt to spin the narrative into their favor.... in other words.... just politics as usual.

Outdoor Retailer Show Boycott in Utah

It is clear that the heart and soul of our decision was not fully understood in light of recent news stories about public lands and the larger political discussions.
    Their FAQs contradict this statement. They talk about the land issue and politics quite a bit.

After we got off the phone with the guv, we decided to pull out of Utah, but ya know it wasn't really about all that. We had been wanting to do what is best for the community...it was purely a business decision. Nothing to do with stroking a few egos.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Acca, your not reading it wrong. The OR Show received some bad press for several legitimate reasons when they announced they were pulling out of Utah. The FAQ is their attempt to spin the narrative into their favor.... in other words.... just politics as usual.
    the faq makes it pretty clear that it's the opposite of what acca interpreted.

Did Outdoor Retailer agree with the ultimatum that appeared to have been issued by industry leaders after the conversation with Governor Herbert?

Outdoor Retailer strongly believes in the importance of preserving our national public lands and places where Americansrecreate. We agree with the outcome of the meeting, that leaving the state of Utah is what we need to do. We stand withour industry.

The media coverage of the telephone call between industry leaders and Governor Herbert from Utah characterized thediscussion as “curt.” Were you part of the call and would you agree with the characterization?

Outdoor Retailer was part of the call and has been part of discussions with Utah legislators regarding public lands for along time. Industry leaders did present their points of view in the conversation in question, as did the Governor. Ultimately,as a result of the telephone call, Outdoor Retailer will not include the state of Utah in the RFP process for future showlocations.

If the Governor were able to change his position on public lands would Outdoor Retailer consider Utah and include themin the RFP?

Timing is very important now. We are already in the RFP process and intend to stay with our original timeline of 60-90days in order to find our new venue. If the Governor of Utah were to change his position to be more in line with the outdoorindustry’s values, then perhaps we would be able to consider Utah as a location in the future.