Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Retailer Show Boycott in Utah

Outdoor Retailer Show Boycott in Utah

Why did Outdoor Retailer stay in Utah for over 20 years considering the public lands policies of the state?

Every time our contract is up for renewal, we survey the community. Utah has always been a favorite, though in recent years we’ve seen a decline in the level of support. With the contract due for renewal, and the state’s current inflammatory views towards public land legislation, it is a good time to assess all of our options.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lawmakers dangle $1 million to woo back outdoor retailers

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5032327-1...million-to-woo

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Lawmakers dangle $1 million to woo back outdoor retailers

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5032327-1...million-to-woo
    LOL. That train has left the station.

Dear Herb -

The problem is not this: $$$

This is the problem:

Mining/drilling >> conservation/recreation

Might I suggest La Sportiva Primer Low GTX. They're Gore-Tex lined, and very well ventilated. Great for hiking, biking, and back-pedaling.

Name:  la-sportiva-gear-patrol-650.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  108.8 KB
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

It's official. They are coming to Colorado. I guess we'll enjoy the extra revenue over here.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...to-Denver.html
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I know losing this was bad for some SLC downtown business, but for me personally I prefer not to deal with the clog of humanity this dumped in our city every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...to-Denver.html

Show organizers said in February they were leaving Utah for a new long-term home because of Republican state leaders' opposition to the new Bears Ears National Monument and other public land policies.
    The show had considered leaving in the past over philosophical differences and finally did after Gov. Gary Herbert signed a resolution calling on federal officials to rescind the monument that President Barack Obama designated on 1.3 million acres of land in southeastern Utah considered sacred to Native American tribes.
    There's a word for that;

BIGOTRY

ok if you want to soften it up a bit;

Intolerance

There's a word for that;

BIGOTRY

Intolerance
    It's called a business decision.

Lot of people shop or provide business to businesses that share their values.

If I didn't agree with shopping on Sunday, is shopping at stores that are closed on Sunday bigotry?

How about this one which happened in the town I live in?

http://www.denverpost.com/2015/06/08...rth-guardians/

CRAIG — Liquor stores and restaurants in Craig are pulling Colorado craft beers off their shelves due to the beer companies’ financial support of WildEarth Guardians, the environmental group that put Colowyo Coal Mine at risk of being shut down.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

9. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    There's a word for that;

BIGOTRY

Intolerance

There's a word for that:

CLICKBAIT

Capitalism

11. Likes jman, Sombeech liked this post
    They must agree with Trump's opinions about Bears Ear monument, because they are still choosing to operate in the United States.

"We chose Denver because of Colorado's long-term commitment to protecting and nurturing public lands."

http://kutv.com/news/local/politics-...ah-to-colorado

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    "We chose Denver because of Colorado's long-term commitment to protecting and nurturing public lands."

http://kutv.com/news/local/politics-...ah-to-colorado
    It's too bad they left, but I wonder if they will end up regretting it down the road. Denver is a nice city but doesn't have anywhere near the easy access to outdoor recreation that SLC does. I think the winter show will especially feel the pain when they have to drive 2 hours for ski demos.

Everyone I've ever talked to about this issue is in full agreement that there's no other city like Salt Lake when it comes to big city access to mountains/slopes. Denver's damn near a 90 minute drive to the mountains. So 3+ hours of round trip driving to get to the mountains whereas Salt Lake is a 10 minute drive...and maybe even less than that depending on where you live.

But is anybody really surprised about this? It's not a state secret that many environmentalist groups operate out of Colorado. SUWA's grand poobah lives in Golden, Colorado for example.

It looks like Colorado paid $1.7 million to get the Outdoor Retailer Show. That didn't come cheap.

Colorado contributes $1.7 million to lure Outdoor Retailer to Denver
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=45111598&nid=960

Drop in the bucket compared to the tens of millions they're gonna get in return.

19. Likes windminstrel, rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Denver's damn near a 90 minute drive to the mountains. So 3+ hours of round trip driving to get to the mountains whereas Salt Lake is a 10 minute drive...and maybe even less than that depending on where you live.
    My first trip to Denver was very disappointing. We drove there at night, and in the morning I was waiting to look at all of the beautiful mountains at first light. So I walk out of the house we were staying at, and NOTHING, I couldn't see a single damned hill.

I thought, oh maybe it's hazy and the mountains are just behind a fog or something. I thought maybe the houses in the neighborhood are blocking my view. Then I saw the mountains. Waaayyyyyyyy down there. This is what everybody is talking about?

And that's where my hatred for the outdoors began. Thanks Denver.

21. Likes rockgremlin, accadacca liked this post
    My first trip to Denver was very disappointing. We drove there at night, and in the morning I was waiting to look at all of the beautiful mountains at first light. So I walk out of the house we were staying at, and NOTHING, I couldn't see a single damned hill.

I thought, oh maybe it's hazy and the mountains are just behind a fog or something. I thought maybe the houses in the neighborhood are blocking my view. Then I saw the mountains. Waaayyyyyyyy down there. This is what everybody is talking about?
    Same here, only we arrived by DIA. I walked to all the airport windows looking for the mountains. I finally saw them-waaaay out there.

In addition to having the mountains way out there, traffic is absolutely horrible to get to them. Silverthorne, in the mountains is about 131 miles from my house and about 67 miles from Denver. On a Friday afternoon I can drive there faster than the folks from Denver, even though it's twice as far for me.

It's too bad that Colorado (overall) is a lot more supportive of public lands than Utah is. There are almost no public lands east of I-25 in Colorado, but that part is flat and mostly uninteresting anyway. West of I-25, the public land percentage in Colorado is comparable to that of Utah, but Utah still holds several advantages when it comes to variety (Colorado is pretty varied as well).

When it comes to major US cities in the lower 48, none of them compare to SLC when it comes to access to the outdoors (Anchorage may come close). Places like Seattle, Las Vegas, Reno, Boise, or Denver are OK, but SLC is superior by far.

23. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post

And that's where my hatred for the outdoors began. Thanks Denver.
    My first trip to Denver was dissapointing as well. Arrived in the middle of the night to find all hotels full. Drove to Thornton to a shopping center parking lot and fell asleep.

Woke up staring down the barrel of a Glock 17 with a cop yelling at my buddy and I to get out of the car and get spread eagle on the hood. Meanwhile, 2 more cop cars show up and they stood around laughing about the two hicks from Utah and their first trip to a "big city".

Needless to say, we found a hotel for the rest of the trip.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

I boycotted the show by not showing up this year.

I also skipped the show this year, and I know for certain I won't be travelling to Denver next year.