Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Retailer Show Boycott in Utah

Outdoor Retailer Show Boycott in Utah

What are your thoughts? Lots of drama on this issue...

--

SALT LAKE CITY — A coalition of major outdoor companies on Tuesday ramped up a threat to get a lucrative outdoor trade show to leave Utah unless the governor and elected officials back away from policies they say threaten public lands.

Leaders of Black Diamond Equipment, Osprey Packs and 28 other outdoor companies sent a letter to Gov. Gary Herbert that says Utah leaders are threatening the outdoor industry by pushing back against federal land control and management.

"We see all of these actions as an existential threat to the vibrancy of Utah and America's outdoor industry, as well as Utah's high quality of life," the letter said.

The letter comes two days before Herbert is expected to meet with outdoor retailers to try to smooth the discord.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43186867&nid...-to-leave-utah

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Herbert better get his knee pads and put on his best lipstick. These guys drop millions of $$$ into Utah's economy.

It's bad enough that he made me have to pay sales tax on all my Amazon purchases. He better not F this up too.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

These clowns threaten to leave every year.

There is a much bigger list of companies supporting the show.

5. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I hate Herbert as governor. I'd like to kick Huntsmen right in the balls for sticking us with this asshat. But to the retailer show I say don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I'm getting extremely tired of all the whining and crying from the left whenever they don't get a participation trophy.

7. Likes Sandstone Addiction, DiscGo liked this post
    Threatening to leave because Utah doesn't like how Bears Ears Monument was designated without Utah's input? THIS is what the retailers are upset about? What in the actual F$#@ is wrong with these people

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Threatening to leave because Utah doesn't like how Bears Ears Monument was designated without Utah's input? THIS is what the retailers are upset about? What in the actual F$#@ is wrong with these people
    Not Utah...I think most of Utah supports the monument.

Its that the Utah congressional delegation, the legislature and the governor have signed some proclamation or some such urging Trump to get rid of the monument.

This monument had a huge amount of input from both Utards and folks familiar with the area.

You can read what the retailers are upset about (Patagonia, etc).

I think the outdoor industry creates jobs in Utah, adds money with regard to taxes, the OR show generates around 40 million for Salt Lake, etc. So, they have "some" pull. But, with the economy doing well in other sectors...might be a drop in the bucket. Ski industry, last year was a bad year, still a 10-15 percent increase. Zion National Park? Another record year with 4 million visitors. Outdoor recreation and tourism are huge for the state of Utah when it comes to money. But, the outdoor industry itself? A bit harder to parse. Who's their lobbyist and how many politicians are in their pocket? They aren't organized like oil and gas...or have that kind of cash. But, they could be.

I guess I'd ask, what the F&*#&^ is wrong with people who don't want the monument? Who don't want public land and access to public land.

I'm not sure what the OR folks gain by leaving the state. My thought is that they loose some of their ability to negotiate public land and environmental issues. I've seen Metcalf and Herbert walking the show together. They surely don't see eye-to-eye. But, at least there is a dialog. If you aren't here, then, there isn't much of an opportunity for dialog.

Anyhoo...

Have you read the executive order? An immense amount of time and work with input from a huge number of people over many years went into it.

Bishop's PLI was a non starter...

Ass clowns, really? There's a ton of people that live and work here in the industry, and, a ton more that visit routinely.

Its that kind of disrespect that gets tiresome. Hard to even have a conversation about it.

10. Likes DirkHammergate, whansen, ddavis liked this post
    The outdoor industry is concerned that Utah will sell off ALL public lands in the state if they get a hold of them. Jason Chaffetz already proposed selling 3 million acres of public land. That same group has a bill out to allow drilling in National Parks. It is time to face reality, Republicans hate Nature and want to sell all our public lands.

Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    The outdoor industry is concerned that Utah will sell off ALL public lands in the state if they get a hold of them. Jason Chaffetz already proposed selling 3 million acres of public land. That same group has a bill out to allow drilling in National Parks. It is time to face reality, Republicans hate Nature and want to sell all our public lands.
    Beholden to their benefactors and less to their constituents...

Although, one might wonder who their constituents really are.

Given the politics from the "leaders" of this website, it makes me wonder if they should rename it to, "Bogley, the anti-outdoor community".

Funny, when you consider the content of the site. Excepting these political threads of course.

I've always been a multiple use of public land kinda guy. Given the sale of some of the state SITLA lands, and resulting gates, and the late night removal of public stream access, folks are still on board with state control of federal land? Yikes.

Its interesting to consider the Utah politicians holding sway over this public land stuff. Are ANY of them outdoorsy, at all? Not really. And, most of them aren't even from Utah.

Hunters, fishermen, birders, ATV'ers, mtn bikers, dirt bikers, climbers, skiers, hikers...we should all be in this together. Its too bad we aren't.

Chatted with an apparent hunter at the Chaffetz rally (but, not one of those bussed in out-of-state paid agitators...ha ha) who was sporting a sign, "Hunters for public land". Wearing camo. We had more in common than most. And we both knew it.

Yeah, I like the sound of it..."Bogley, the anti public land community". The rest of us are ass clowns apparently.

13. Likes DirkHammergate, uintafly liked this post
    Ah, I remember the protest signs with the oil rig drilling right through Delicate Arch, and the oil well spraying black crude all over the Zion Lodge.

If I believed the Liberal propaganda that Bryce Canyon was going to have a natural gas fracking rig operating at the Sunset Point trail head, I'd be furious too.

Otherwise, we can just label conservatives as racist litterbugs and hope they surrender because of name calling.

15. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Iceaxe liked this post
    I'm getting extremely tired of all the whining and crying from the left whenever they don't get a participation trophy.
    Isn't it some on the right are whining about the monument or anything else Obama did for the last 8 years? I think you are too selective with the participation trophies.

If I believed the Liberal propaganda that Bryce Canyon was going to have a natural gas fracking rig operating at the Sunset Point trail head, I'd be furious too.
    Even though there wasn't always 100% agreement among the parties when it comes to public lands, there used to be bi-partisan support for public lands. More recently however, the Republicans have made getting rid of public lands part of their platform, as well as getting rid of all wilderness. This is not liberal propaganda; it's on their own websites:

http://www.republicanviews.org/repub...e-environment/

Exact cut and paste, with some parts bolded:

They also believe that the large government land holdings in the west may be better used for ranching, mining, or forestry through private ownership. Republicans would also like to see all lands managed by the U.S. Forest Service available for harvesting, as timber is both a renewable resource and a source that can provide America with jobs.

Notice that it says all lands current managed by the Forest Service (including wilderness), not just "many lands", or "more of the land". The word all is pretty clear.

Don't forget the below either (which was pulled after outcry). This isn't liberal propaganda. It's right from the congress' own website:

Shane was right on the other thread "Get ready for some changes". On this we can agree, but as for me, I fear the changes for our public lands. I don't blame the retailers for being worried.

As long as the Republicans favor getting rid of public lands as part of their platform, I won't vote for them (even though (I used to vote 100% Republican). I know, "Don't let the door hit my a** on the way out". Duly noted.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Isn't it some on the right are whining about the monument, even though most Utahns support it? I think you are too selective with the participation trophies.
    The majority of Utah residents oppose the Bears Ears, not sure where you are hearing otherwise. I mean other then listening to fake news where the left wishes most Utahn's were in favor. One of my favorite tactics of the left, say something enough and hope it comes true.

More than half (52 percent) of Utah registered voters oppose the monument designation compared with 34 percent in support. That's 18 points, which is huuuuge in poll terms. This is current as of January 31, 2017.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4840590-1...ver-bears-ears

Q: Do you approve or disapprove of the designation of the Bears Ears National Monument in southeastern Utah?

Strongly disapprove 39%
    Some what disapprove 13%
    Some what approve 12%
    Strongly approve 22%
    Don't know 15%

Dan Jones & Associates surveyed 605 registered Utah voters from Jan. 9-16. The poll has a margin of error of +/- 3.98 percentage points.

Same newspaper:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4224034-1...-favor-a-bears

Fine; let's just call it all fake news. To be honest, I don't even support the monument, at least not at this time. I don't see it funded nor supported, but only see it to be neglected. A neglected and unfunded monument doesn't do any good, at least in my opinion.

l'll even edit my post just to make sure it doesn't contain any information that might be incorrect.

Monument or not, support or not, fake news or not, accurate news or not; none of this changes the fact that the GOP has made getting rid of public lands and getting rid of wilderness as part of their platform. That is not fake news; it comes directly from their own mouths and websites.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

19. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The majority of Utah residents oppose the Bears Ears, not sure where you are hearing otherwise. I mean other then listening to fake news where the left wishes most Utahn's were in favor. One of my favorite tactics of the left, say something enough and hope it comes true.

More than half (52 percent) of Utah registered voters oppose the monument designation compared with 34 percent in support. That's 18 points, which is huuuuge in poll terms. This is current as of January 31, 2017.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4840590-1...ver-bears-ears

Q: Do you approve or disapprove of the designation of the Bears Ears National Monument in southeastern Utah?

Strongly disapprove 39%
    Some what disapprove 13%
    Some what approve 12%
    Strongly approve 22%
    Don't know 15%

Dan Jones & Associates surveyed 605 registered Utah voters from Jan. 9-16. The poll has a margin of error of +/- 3.98 percentage points.
    Wow...nearly 315 registered voters in Utah oppose the Bear's Ears....its a mandate from the PEOPLE!

There were more people than that at the Chaffetz rally carrying signs in support....of course, they were bussed in from out-of-state and paid to be there, according to you.

Name:  Bears Ears.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  90.6 KB

You're all about fake news, Shane. As long as supports whatever agenda you've dug your heels into.

Wrap that fish in any wrapper you like.... but bottomline is you have missed badly on almost every prediction you have made in the past year, reading the first few pages of the presidential election thread will easily remind you of all your misses in case you have forgotten... so all that tells me is you are out of touch with with the general population.... same as you are out of touch with the fact that the majority of Utah is opposed to the Bears Ears MN.

And since we're keeping score you might want to also notice my predictions are averaging about 95% correct. Yup I've missed a couple, which are about the same 5% you managed to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Beholden to their benefactors and less to their constituents...

Although, one might wonder who their constituents really are.

Given the politics from the "leaders" of this website, it makes me wonder if they should rename it to, "Bogley, the anti-outdoor community".

Funny, when you consider the content of the site. Excepting these political threads of course.

I've always been a multiple use of public land kinda guy. Given the sale of some of the state SITLA lands, and resulting gates, and the late night removal of public stream access, folks are still on board with state control of federal land? Yikes.

Its interesting to consider the Utah politicians holding sway over this public land stuff. Are ANY of them outdoorsy, at all? Not really. And, most of them aren't even from Utah.

Hunters, fishermen, birders, ATV'ers, mtn bikers, dirt bikers, climbers, skiers, hikers...we should all be in this together. Its too bad we aren't.

Chatted with an apparent hunter at the Chaffetz rally (but, not one of those bussed in out-of-state paid agitators...ha ha) who was sporting a sign, "Hunters for public land". Wearing camo. We had more in common than most. And we both knew it.

Yeah, I like the sound of it..."Bogley, the anti public land community". The rest of us are ass clowns apparently.
    This site does have a strange anti-environment stance considering how we all like to recreate. I have spent enough time back east, where there is little public land, to not want that here. The easy and cheap access we have to a million different outdoor activities is what makes the west what it is. Are we ever going to see a drilling rig on Delicate Arch? No, but we very well may see one on the Kolob Terrace road soon. But I am personally more worried about locked gates and "No Trespassing" signs anyway.

23. Likes Scott P, hikster11 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    This site does have a strange anti-environment stance considering how we all like to recreate. I have spent enough time back east, where there is little public land, to not want that here. The easy and cheap access we have to a million different outdoor activities is what makes the west what it is. Are we ever going to see a drilling rig on Delicate Arch? No, but we very well may see one on the Kolob Terrace road soon. But I am personally more worried about locked gates and "No Trespassing" signs anyway.
    Once it is sold to into private hands - that land is gone forever. Period. I would deal with crowds and trash on public land many times over rather than seeing a parcel of land in private hands.

And that land will never become public again. And besides it's not like we are getting more and more land each day. And now, just like you were saying, now you can get a trespassing ticket in the desert or mountains. That's messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Just out of curiosity, did creating the Grand Staircase National Monument increase the amount of visitors? By a little bit or by a lot? If by a lot, how has the increased number of visitors affected the land (serious question, because I don't know)? Nobody I associate with on a regular basis had ever even heard of the Bears Ear area. Now, they all want to go there. Is that a good thing?
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did creating the Grand Staircase National Monument increase the amount of visitors? By a little bit or by a lot? If by a lot, how has the increased number of visitors affected the land (serious question, because I don't know)? Nobody I associate with on a regular basis had ever even heard of the Bears Ear area. Now, they all want to go there. Is that a good thing?
    Visitation to the area around the Grand Staircase did increase (by quite a bit actually). It didn't increase however, as much as several non-monument areas such as the San Rafael Swell, Robbers Roost, North Wash, and the BLM areas around Moab. The increase in visitors to those areas has been staggering.

So, it is very likely that the monument designation in the Grand Staircase did increase visitors, but guidebooks and the internet have had much more of an effect and the increase in visitors. The thing about the Grand Staircase Monument is that you have to get off the beaten track to really see the good stuff. I have heard several people say that they have been to Grand Staircase and were disappointed. I can only assume that most of them didn't take time to leave the beaten track and to see what the place really offers.

27. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I emailed the BLM down there exactly this question almost two months ago and have not heard back. I'm sure they have been bombarded with other similar questions. And escalate has over 21 years now of being a National Monument so they should have some good statistics by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    And since we're keeping score you might want to also notice my predictions are averaging about 95% correct. Yup I've missed a couple, which are about the same 5% you managed to get right
    Only modestly saving grace for anyone's predictions (excepting yours) was that Hillary won by the largest margin of any president not elected...(that sounds funny even saying it).

Funny...not even the conservative news folks got even close. But our own amazing Kreskin pulled a rabbit out of his hat. Bravo. Now...

If you could...let us know when the stock market is going to crash...that'd be super helpful.

(My 401k average return for the last 2 years is 15%...yeah...to a large extent, its about the economy stupid).

I could probably survive another "adjustment". But...

As far as OR in Utah...