Thread: Laser Sight Question

Laser Sight Question

I'm installing a Crimson Trace laser on my M&P Shield today. Aiming question for those of you who use a laser (forgive me if it seems obvious to you but, I've never shot with one before): Where do you focus your eyes? I'm guessing totally on the red dot? Do you still sight down the iron sights or forget about them entirely?
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I'm installing a Crimson Trace laser on my M&P Shield today. Aiming question for those of you who use a laser (forgive me if it seems obvious to you but, I've never shot with one before): Where do you focus your eyes? I'm guessing totally on the red dot? Do you still sight down the iron sights or forget about them entirely?
    I have a red CT on my XDS. When i got the lazer sighted in the dot would be covered up by the front site/end of the gun if i looked down the sights. So it became natural to look over the top.
    How did yours turn out?

I was hoping to install it yesterday but, my new StealthGear concealed carry holster didn't come in yet and I need that before I install the laser or I can't carry. I think I've answered my own question. In doing more reading and discussion on another forum, the consensus is to still use the iron sights and sight down the barrel for quicker target acquisition, then focus on the laser dot after that. From what I've read on the Crimson Trace website, when sighted in properly, the red dot should look like it's resting on top of the front iron sight.
    Are we there yet?

My own experiences with this matter are that the laser sight alone gives any weapon instant pin-point accuracy, but attaching a scope to the weapon (or having attached laser sight to a weapon that already had a scope) completly nullifies this effect. It doesn't matter whether you're zoomed in or not, the laser sight is nothing but a red dot once you have a scope attached.

As for using the laser sight at long range, remember that the dot usually appears right in the middle of the crosshairs as it is, so even if you can't really see the dot, you can still fire as if you could.

A bit off your original topic, I believe the scope gives weapons pin-point accuracy as well, at least in that the bullet will always strike right on the crosshairs while it is enabled (of course the wobbling of the scope can throw your aim). If you really need a weapon for long range attacks, you might just try equiping one pistol with the scope, and the other with the laser sight.