Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adventure Race! (Including canyon)

Adventure Race! (Including canyon)

Join us for a one of a kind experience.
    Our first adventure race, including the descent of a technical canyon. (No it's not that technical). Basic canyoneering skills and decent fitness will be sufficient.
    (So come see if you have the luck o the Irish to win)
    May 20th 2017.
    For details go to www.darkhorseadventureraces.com
    Here at Darkhorse we pride ourselves on delivering the best events anywhere.
    Join us for a fantastic, fun, adventurous day!

See you there, Spidey.

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    WHAT?! this is Awesome!

Thanks Spidey. Time to rally the troops.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Team Fee: $495.00

I don't think most canyoneering teams have a combined net worth of this amount. Also, most canyoneers have bad credit due to divorce, foreclosure, and/or bankruptcy.

Given these significant issues, could Dark Horse possibly provide financing options? If so, something like 5 years / 6.95% APR would be compelling.

Smartass! I actually would get in on this but that day I'll be slightly inebriated dancing around a campfire in Moab. Anyway, this team right here would leave EVERYONE in the dust!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Smartass! I actually would get in on this but that day I'll be slightly inebriated dancing around a campfire in Moab. Anyway, this team right here would leave EVERYONE in the dust!
    Is
    not campfire dancing one of the events? No? Why not???

8. Likes Utah Canyoneer, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Free flowing alcohol and the smell of ganja waifting thru the air is highly unlikely at this event. However, show up with a few cases of Mt. Dew and you'll be the life of the party!
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

10. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    I'll be a bank. What do you offer for collateral? Fiddle of gold?😉

12. Likes Slot Machine, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Inebriated Campfire dancing is always an event! Maybe even inebriated karaoke!
    I would recommend it for the night after the race. 😉

14. Likes twotimer, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Sounds fun. Would love to see some video of this somehow. Maybe by drone @Sombeech

16. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Michael Kelsey could single-handedly beat any team that's likely to show up.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

18. Likes Utah Canyoneer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Free flowing alcohol and the smell of ganja waifting thru the air is highly unlikely at this event...
    Which event? The canyoneer race or your Moab shindig?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Ha, ha! You would think, eh? I've hiked with Kelsey and he's hard to keep up with on the flats. He's got a stride that covers six feet.That's why his hiking times seem so fast. Get him on rough up or down though, and he moves at a more mortal speed. His knees slow him down.

I started to get excited about this race thing until I saw the date, otherwise I'd be trying to recruit a team. I reckon there will be some hot shot racers there, so finishing at the front of the pack might be hoping for too much. I'm nearly 54 but hop around like I'm 25. I can ride my mnt. bike for 8 hours straight...but I'll me riding along, all proud of myself punching out steep climbs when some 6' skinny as a rail 22 year old goes flying by me. But completing a race like this would be a nifty thing to accomplish. I would also hope that Sandthrax itself would be part of the course? If that were the case, you'd think they'd set up a rope at the silo to prevent bodies from piling up.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Which event? The canyoneer race or your Moab shindig?
    Been to a Zion Rendezvous? It's a pretty wholesome, family friendly gig. The Moab thing gets a bit wild after the kids (if any) go to bed.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Blog Entries

Canyoneering Race!

Question for ya Spidey: Seeing as this based out of Sandthrax, would it be advantageous to know any of the canyons down there?

If the course ran through one of the Hogs, for example, one that I have not done, some one who is familiar with that area would have an advantage over me. Would it be wise to do or redo some of those canyons in that area before the race? (Of course we don't know which canyon or canyons it will be, but one make a educated guess and hope that it turns out tot their advantage right?

Or is the course going to be laid it where everyone knows for the most part, which path to take, but the challenging part will be the run part, or rather, the one who can do it the fastest?

Edit: looks like there are two divisions, one is a non-gps division (wolf) and the other is (hawk).

So with that said, the non-gps division (wolf) it would be advantageous to know as many canyons in that area right?

Or am I overthinking the details here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Most likely over thinking things.
    We won't reveal the course until the day before the race. Our intention is to keep the playing field as level as possible.

I'm your huckleberry!
    But unfortunately I'm not eligible since I'm an organizer.

You wouldn't stand a chance. Kelsey does 90' rappels and doesn't even use a rope. He hikes with 50 pounds of sand in his pack just for the fun of it. Heck, even Sasquatch takes a backseat to "the authors" legendary backcountry skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    I'm your huckleberry!
    Ha ha...great movie! Val Kilmer nailed it.

"OK lunger...Let's do it!"
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Sounds fun. Would love to see some video of this somehow. Maybe by drone @Sombeech
    Yeah I'm still looking to add some canyoneering footage to my drone portfolio. I wouldn't dare get inside slots any more narrow than 8 feet, but I could take some great overhead shots looking down into the slot, and then panning out.

Will there be anybody up topside following along for support? I could hang around them.

Here is the only climbing related footage I've got so far:

On another note, I do try and preserve the serenity and solitude of an experience, this may be one of the few situations where the I think a drone wouldn't disturb the peace, as it is a race. But if there are some who still feel the noise of a drone would ruin it, I won't argue with that. I would like to think of myself as a responsible drone pilot. I do my best to ask permission before flying near anybody.

Thanks

28. Likes deagol, Utah Canyoneer liked this post
    Beech, if you're looking for cool things to shoot video of you might consider the High School MTB races. Below is a video I made, but a friend supplied the drone footage. If you want a video to go viral this would be a good chance since the races attract over 1000 racers and you just know every student, parent and grandparent would be sharing the video.