Thread: Where is the Glacier on Once I was a Beehive?

Where is the Glacier on Once I was a Beehive?

Do any of you know where the Glacier on Once I was a Beehive is located? (Picture Below)

Name:  TG.jpg
Views: 2403
Size:  47.5 KB
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Do you have any more shots of the area? I don't recognize the photo, but since I do know mountains pretty well, if there are some more photos I might be able to answer.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

This is the entire scene:
    https://youtu.be/oI2SsxzoF1E?t=3490

I'm guessing that it isn't actually part of a glacier at all and they just filmed it early enough in the season that there was still snow there. But even if, I'd like to go there at the same time of year.

The foreground looks like Scott P.'s backyard......in late August.

$10 bucks Scott posts an actual picture of his backyard in August.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

It's not a glacier or even a perpetual snow field, more like a snowdrift left over from winter or perhaps the run out from an avalanche. I'd also bet a six pack of beer it's not far from a road considering the entire movie was shot in 15 days with virtually no budget.

From: http://www.heraldextra.com/entertain...8fa998c0d.html

"Many of the girls camp scenes were filmed at Payson Lake and Payson Canyon with some shots from Provo Canyon near Bridal Veil Falls and Vivian Park."

7. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    It's not a glacier or even a perpetual snow field
    At first I assumed he meant the glacier on the mountain located in the background, rather than the seasonal snow on the ground. It does look like it might be a glacier, but you are right that the snow in the foreground is not a glacier. You are right that it isn't even perpetual snow at all since there is grass sticking up all over.

"Many of the girls camp scenes were filmed at Payson Lake and Payson Canyon with some shots from Provo Canyon near Bridal Veil Falls and Vivian Park."
    Now that I look at it closer, the background is almost certainly fake (well not fake, but not taken in the same place as the foreground). The snow and trees in the foreground are real as to the location, but the film has been superimposed on the background. The snow in the background is late spring snow and has the grass poking out of it. If there is that much snow in the foreground, the mountains in the background should be covered with more snow lower down on the mountain.

Shane's link says the entire film was filmed in Utah County. Those mountains in the far background don't exist in Utah County. They aren't anywhere near Vivian Park, Bridal Veil Falls, or Payson Lakes. If they were, I would recognize them. I'm pretty sure that I would recognize any mountain in the Wasatch. Feel free to test me.

So more than likely, the foreground is somewhere around Payson Lakes, but the film was superimposed to the mountains in the far background to make the movie scene more dramatic (though they should have used Utah mountains to do so).

Let me see if my Summitpost friends can recognize the peaks.

If you want to find the filming location, I'd suggest going to Payson Lakes and trying to find this:

Views: 1131
Size:  41.5 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction, DiscGo liked this post
    FWIW - in the movie the snowfield is called a glacier. And I totally agree the mountains in the background were photo shopped in.

11. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    @Scott P & @Iceaxe - Thank you guys!

Unless you want that specific snowfield a trip to the Unitas in early summer will yield numerous locations with similar results.

14. Likes Scott P liked this post
    FWIW - in the movie the snowfield is called a glacier.
    Saw that later. My yard looks more like a glacier than the one in the movie scene does. At least the grass is covered.

There's a whole lesson on religion in this thread....

I found it by accident. The background scene in the movie is a mirror image of part of the Mont Blanc region, French side.

The photo comes from a Utah website that leads hiking trips to the Alps. It was a heck of a coincidence, but I recognized the photo on some thread from someone looking for maps!

https://www.alpenwild.com/trip/best-...alps/overview/

Original photo:

Flipped (Mirror Image) and cropped photo (compare to movie scene mountains):

Name:  timthumb.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  115.3 KB

Movie Scene:

Views: 964
Size:  30.5 KB

18. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Nice find!