Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man survives 90-foot fall in the Grand Canyon

Man survives 90-foot fall in the Grand Canyon

GRAND CANYON - A Kanab, Utah, man survived a 90-foot fall in the Grand Canyon and caught it on camera.

Nick Smith from "Seldom Seen Adventures" fell in Soap Creek Canyon in the Grand Canyon.

He said he is very sore but luckily didn't break any bones.

Smith told Fox 13 he had to climb back up the rope after falling, then climb and hike out of the canyon to his car and drive home.

WARNING: Video contains adult language.

http://fox13now.com/2017/02/07/kanab...-grand-canyon/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Was that really 90 feet? Looks closer to 40.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post

Not sure. He said nearly 90 in his YouTube description.

Published on Feb 6, 2017
    "This is my fall from February 5th. I fell nearly 90 feet after my rope block failed (yes user error). After getting up and realizing I wasn't dead, I had to reascend the ropes to the top. I then hiked back out to my vehicle. After a visit to the ER. I was cleared by a full CT scan. No broken bones, no internal bleeding. Somehow I don't even have a scratch on my body from the ordeal."

First rule of cliff jumping into a lake: round up to the nearest 40 feet

Yeah, when I saw it, I guessed 40 feet as well. Still, the guy is lucky to walk away from that.

On the video at 51sec is his rappel device, looks like a Critr and a carabiner attached at the bottom of the rope. He must have been in shock to off rope like that.

Yes, I'll take "Things that Never Happened" for 800 please, Alex.

A ninety foot fall that he majestically bounces back from like your mamma's Tupperware. "No broken bones, no internal bleeding, not even a scratch."

I can't even roll out of bed in the morning without getting a scratch and this clown says he can Greg Louganis off of a 90 foot sandstone ledge and pop up strawberry free.

I've heard some pretty fantastic fish stories in my day, but this one takes the taco.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

9. Likes moab mark, whansen liked this post
    As stated in the article, this is the guide company he was with: http://www.seldomseenadventures.net/

Basically the same article in the St. George News. I can find any other websites with the story and more details.

Man survives 90-foot fall in Grand Canyon

http://stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive.../#.WJsstrhHaEc

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Yes, I'll take "Things that Never Happened" for 800 please, Alex.

A ninety foot fall that he majestically bounces back from like your mamma's Tupperware. "No broken bones, no internal bleeding, not even a scratch."

I can't even roll out of bed in the morning without getting a scratch and this clown says he can Greg Louganis off of a 90 foot sandstone ledge and pop up strawberry free.

I've heard some pretty fantastic fish stories in my day, but this one takes the taco.
    So you are saying this was faked? "Faked Canyoneering?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post

I haven't done that canyon, but according to the guidebook there are two rappels in the canyon; one two stage rappel at 100 feet (60 and 40 foot stages) and one at 75 feet. It would seem likely that this would either be the first stage (60 feet) of the first rappel or the second rappel at 75 feet

A ninety foot fall that he majestically bounces back from like your mamma's Tupperware. "No broken bones, no internal bleeding, not even a scratch.
    He didn't free-fall and was still attached to the rope. He just lost control/friction. It's the equivalent of letting your brake hand go on a Figure 8 Device. You go fast and it can still kill you, but you don't free fall, and are still slowed down.

Which brings up a point. Why was he using a Figure 8 block? Unless you are rappelling into swift water, I can see no advantage to doing this.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

So, do I dare ask? Is it better to double strand so you don't make this mistake? Having a block means you have one more thing you can get wrong. I know people are huge fans of a block, but imho double strand rappelling is less error-prone.

So, do I dare ask? Is it better to double strand so you don't make this mistake? Having a block means you have one more thing you can get wrong. I know people are huge fans of a block, but imho double strand rappelling is less error-prone.
    Although some on here disagree, I agree with you. Unless you are rappelling in swift water, or very light (when my kids were very young they had to go single strand), I don't see why single strand is safer. Double strand is almost always safer. I just don't get why even some experienced canyoneers insist that single strand is better. Of course this has been hashed out many times on the forum.

Still, using the Figure 8 block seems like a strange choice (at least to me) in this situation.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Quadruple
    Strand SO MUCH SAFER.

But seriously, there are many ways to frak up, no matter what system you use.

T

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. (eye roll)

As others have already stated, I highly doubt it was a 90 foot fall.

The thing I find alarming is the dude's a canyon guide. People put their trust and safety in his hands. Yikes.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I don't see why single strand is safer. Double strand is almost always safer. I just don't get why even some experienced canyoneers insist that single strand is better. Of course this has been hashed out many times on the forum.
    Of course you are saying this with a rescue rope in the pack of LMAR and not at the bottom of the rappel with others, correct?

How about having a second competent person to double-check the rigging prior to first rappel?; Weight the anchor using a Purcell backup prior to going on rappel.

Have you ever had to perform a rescue of someone on double-strand? What if the individual was stuck on the rope (double-strand) within a waterfall?

I agree, at least once a year there is a big fall where someone screws up the biner block. The last rappel in Pine Creek alone has claimed 3 victims I know of that were the results of misusing a block. While the biner block has its place and is certainly a tool everyone should have in their toolbox, I've always maintained it is way over used and is not the best standard method.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I agree, at least once a year there is a big fall where someone screws up the biner block. The last rappel in Pine Creek alone has claimed 3 victims I know of that were the results of misusing a block. While the biner block has its place and is certainly a tool everyone should have in their toolbox, I've always maintained it is way over used and is not the best standard method.

YMMV

I’ve found the number of blocks accidents odd since I always use a safety back-up of the block, which protects all but the last individual from error. Do most groups not use a safety back-up? Do canyoneering courses not teach beginners to add a safety back-up?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Fake News

Canyon
    News
    Network

23. Likes rockgremlin liked this post