Thread: Turkey Hunt May 2017

Turkey Hunt May 2017

I plan on purchasing a Turkey permit for the hunt this coming May. I have a secret spot where I pretty much have an entire Wasatch Front forest range to myself. Ok, well, maybe not so secret but, I do pretty much have an entire upper canyon forest range to myself. The gates for the road going in to this particular area are still closed in May but, hooray for me, I have a key. The Forest Service allows me to drive through because I do a lot of volunteer trailwork up there, particularly in the spring and I run into turkeys pretty much every time I go up. I know exactly where they'll be. The only way in without driving would be to hike as the area will be under the Spring Time Wet Trails Closure which means no motos, atv's or horses. And hiking in that far would be a near Herculean task. Every year I'm up there I kick myself for not having a permit. Especially last year when I was attacked by a big 'ol tom. Anyway, looking over the turkey regulations it appears I can't shoot them with my .22 or .223 and I don't own a shotgun and not sure I want to run out and buy one as I'm not interested in owning one. I would be willing to take a Bogley member with me if they have a shotgun I could borrow (and they can hunt, too!). The only caveat is that we just may have to do a bit of trailwork while we're up there as that's why I have a key to the gate in the first place (you have no idea what hurdles the local Rangers had to go through to get me a key to the gate!). Anyone interested?
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I might be your huckleberry. I have 3x shotguns: 10, 12 and 20ga..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I drew a Southern unit tag this year.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Cool. Something to whet your appetite:

Are we there yet?

I don't know about your luck, but I see all kinds of wildlife when I'm NOT hunting...

They seem to disappear when I have a gun in my hands.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    I don't know about your luck, but I see all kinds of wildlife when I'm NOT hunting...

They seem to disappear when I have a gun in my hands.

Same_HERE!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

8. Likes nelsonccc liked this post
    I guess neither of you can come along then! They'll be there. They always are, year after year.
    Are we there yet?

I'd love to join you also... 3 various 12 ga - I'll even throw in the shells!

11. Likes tallsteve liked this post
    If something doesn't workout for you Steve, I have a turkey gun and shells that you can use. I've killed a few turkeys and I think that they are one of the most wary game. You came across a turkey that may not still be around for this years spring hunt. When I shot my first in the spring of 2005 there was about a 15% success rate. I considered myself to have been very lucky. I haven't hunted turkeys for the past 7 years, but I have heard that the numbers are up and so is the success.

Never really got into Turkey hunting. We get a landowner tag every year and have only used it 2 or 3 times

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    If something doesn't workout for you Steve, I have a turkey gun and shells that you can use. I've killed a few turkeys and I think that they are one of the most wary game. You came across a turkey that may not still be around for this years spring hunt. When I shot my first in the spring of 2005 there was about a 15% success rate. I considered myself to have been very lucky. I haven't hunted turkeys for the past 7 years, but I have heard that the numbers are up and so is the success.
    Cool- thanks for the offer. If that same tom isn't around this spring, there will be another. In the 8 or 9 years that I've had a key to the gate and have been able to drive up the canyon where others can't go, I see turkey flocks every year and they are ALWAYS in one of 2 or 3 locations. I would place my success rate at 90%. Seriously.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I would place my success rate at 90%. Seriously.
    Title of this CMR painting might fit...ha ha...

Name:  Meat small.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  223.1 KB

Good luck!

16. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Turkey permits went on sale today so, I'm ready to rock 'n roll!
    Are we there yet?