Thread: Monoxide - West Fork

Monoxide - West Fork

Monoxide – West Fork

On January 29th, 2017, after a fun morning in No Kidding, we did a quick lap through the West Fork of Monoxide. There isn’t much of a story to tell, it is a pretty straightforward canyon. However, we did discover four needless bolts that might be a fun repair project for somebody.

Tom and Tony downclimbed the ledges to the right. Looked hard.
    Name:  P1040709.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  153.0 KB

Name:  P1040713.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  129.8 KB

Amateur hour. There is a nice chokestone anchor 10 feet behind these bolts.
    Name:  P1040708.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  53.2 KB

Amateur hour continued. These bolts were tied to a deadman with four different pieces of webbing, some 15 feet away. Can't be too safe!
    Name:  P1040712.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  P1040711.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  68.5 KB

Please send me a PM if you plan to pull the bolts in Monoxide. I’d be happy to help make your repair job look invisible.

Bob

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/201...west-fork.html
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. Likes Taylor liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cringe worthy bolt job. Yikes! And the webbing looks brand new...wtf?

It looks to be the same type bolts (and bad bolting job) that keeps popping up in the Swell. Whoever is doing this isn't doing a very good job of bolting and they are poorly placed. I assume it's the same crew and those same type bolting jobs have been going on for several years now.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I don't use bolts, I use skill.....

7. Likes Utah Canyoneer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    It looks to be the same type bolts (and bad bolting job) that keeps popping up in the Swell. Whoever is doing this isn't doing a very good job of bolting and they are poorly placed. I assume it's the same crew and those same type bolting jobs have been going on for several years now.
    Which canyons in the Swell? It would be nice to go in prepared to remove bolts.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Which canyons in the Swell? It would be nice to go in prepared to remove bolts.
    Upper Black Box and Baptists Draw. I pulled out the bolts out of Baptists with my bare hands. Then another poor bolting job was done and removed. Last time I was there, the bolts were better.

The Upper Black Box bolts were also very poor. Whoever did it bolted a chain with some nuts and no hangars or anything. They were loose, but I couldn't pull them out with my bare hands.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Upper Black Box and Baptists Draw. I pulled out the bolts out of Baptists with my bare hands. Then another poor bolting job was done and removed. Last time I was there, the bolts were better.

The Upper Black Box bolts were also very poor. Whoever did it bolted a chain with some nuts and no hangars or anything. They were loose, but I couldn't pull them out with my bare hands.
    Probably Kelsey. Or @ratagonia...just to mess with us.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.