Thread: 11 days of canyons in the Springdale to Page area

11 days of canyons in the Springdale to Page area

Apologies if anyone has already seen this on another website.

Last Fall I managed to cram in a number of canyons on my wishlist during about 2 weeks of daily all-day hikes when we were blessed with no rain forecasts.

They were in the Springdale to Page region.

All lived up to expectations and the pictures really tell the story of how beautiful they all are, so there's not a lot to say about them individually.
    Our desire to push every one to see as much as possible saw us hiking in the dark to reach the car on probably 5 occasions - and even one rappel in the dark.
    Usually GPS and some sense of direction came to the rescue, although once the swinging GPS needle somehow saw me hit a road 3 miles south of our car at night. .

There was a lot of water and thick mud, so unfortUnately I didn't get to capture these beautiful scenes on my quality camera. Just as well as by the end dirt seized up the lens on the compact landing me a $100 repair bill back in the UK. But these were worth it.

Most days we saw noone, and only one day did we see more than 5 even though most of these are not really technical so I'm not sure if they earn the right to go on a canyoneering forum. But hey, they're canyons, there was some 2 person pushing, pulling, captures...and its winter, so apart from the hardiest few people are posting trip reports at the moment.
    We can't really add much beta info except in ParunuweAp a recent storm had wiped out the boulder jam falls between Poverty and Fat Man's, so we had to wade chest high around the edge of a pool to the left going upriver, which didn't please our bigger guys carrying gear as they started sinking deeper in the quicksand.

Rather than lots of individual trip reports I've thrown the lot together in one mix with a few non-canyon shots for variety. But even trying to narrow it down to my favourite photos produced 50, so I'm going to split it into a part 1 and part 2.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just think how quickly you could've hiked through those canyons if you didn't have to pack that ladder around.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

ha, ha. We did consider taking a lightweight ladder a short way down one canyon to ensure a minor obstacle didn't stop us, but we didn't. This one was fixed in place with some sort of screws/bolt by someone. Not sure how many floods it might survive

Quote Originally Posted by kaniukr View Post
    ha, ha. We did consider taking a lightweight ladder a short way down one canyon to ensure a minor obstacle didn't stop us, but we didn't. This one was fixed in place with some sort of screws/bolt by someone. Not sure how many floods it might survive
    What canyon is the ladder in?

I am wondering if you did the big canyon to the LCR route? I am looking for beta on this route but can mostly only find photos and no descriptions of the rap lengths. I did order Grand Canyoneering but it has yet to come in the mail. I also would like to know a little more about the pothole I saw in the photo!

Last edited by Skay; 02-18-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Ahh I just realized you labeled it springdale to page. Wrong zone.

Ah I just realized it was springdale to page. Wrong zone.

Sorry, just seen your post as the notification often doesn't seem to come through by email.
    As you say, I didn't do Big Canyon, but I've just looked in Grand Canyoneering and it is in there and it seems there's nothing above 100ft. Looks like Big Canyon has a gorgeous "Spring Room" - hope you get a chance to post some photos of it on here. All the pool ones in my photos are Fat Man's Misery