Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming? I don't know what to believe.

It's pretty dry along the foothills here. The mountains are buried, though.

Today on the news, our fine Governor Lickenpooper declared the the fire season has been extended by 80 days because of climate change.

Last year at this time everything was wet and green and the weeds looked great.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would fully support this:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-red-t...nce-1492728579 (click "Skip these deals & continue to WSJ.com")

"Congress or the executive branch should convene a climate science Red/Blue exercise as a step toward resolving, or at least illuminating, differing perceptions of climate science. While the Red and Blue Teams should be knowledgeable and avowedly opinionated scientists, the commission should have a balanced membership of prominent individuals with technical credentials, led by co-chairmen who are forceful, knowledgeable and independent of the climate-science community. The Rogers Commission for the Challenger disaster in 1986, the Energy Department’s Huizenga/Ramsey Review of Cold Fusion in 1989, and the National Bioethics Advisory Commission of the late 1990s are models for the kind of fact-based rigor and transparency needed.

The outcome of a Red/Blue exercise for climate science is not preordained, which makes such a process all the more valuable. It could reveal the current consensus as weaker than claimed. Alternatively, the consensus could emerge strengthened if Red Team criticisms were countered effectively. But whatever the outcome, we scientists would have better fulfilled our responsibilities to society, and climate policy discussions would be better informed."
    Are we there yet?

4. Likes twotimer liked this post
    ^^^ You're muddying the waters with facts. It's much more satisfying to wait until the dead of winter, go shovel a foot of snow off your driveway, and then go around wincing from lower back pain and blisters and at the end of it all boldly proclaim "So much for global warming!!"
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

is it better to but science and politics in different room for a second?

Snow on Friday... This global warming spring is killing me... (troll, troll, troll)

8. Likes Iceaxe, tallsteve liked this post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39987495

Norway is boosting the flood defences of its Global Seed Vault on the Arctic archipelago of Svalbard after water entered the entrance tunnel last year.
    The storage facility, deep inside a mountain, is designed to preserve the world's crops from future disasters.
    Unseasonably high temperatures last year caused the permafrost to melt, sending water into the access tunnel.
    No seeds were damaged but the facility is to have new waterproof walls in the tunnel and drainage ditches outside.
    The vault stores seeds from 5,000 crop species from around the world. Dried and frozen, it is believed they can be preserved for hundreds of years.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40106278

Shareholders in Exxon Mobil have backed a motion requiring the company to assess the risks from climate change.
    The plan, proposed by investors including the Church of England, was supported by over 62% of those eligible to vote.
    The vote comes as US media reports that President Trump is poised to pull out of the Paris climate agreement.
    Exxon will now have to consider how global efforts to mitigate climate change will impact their business.

Did Exxon know?

Long seen as the last bastion of opposition to action on rising temperatures, Exxon Mobil is the world's largest publicly traded oil company.
    They've recently been under investigation by some state authorities in the US.
    They've been accused of allegedly concealing information from shareholders on when the company first realised that human emissions of carbon were driving up global temperatures.
    Previous attempts by activists to force the company to take the impact of climate change into account failed. Last year, the motion gained just over 38% of shareholder support.
    The resolution, filed by the Church Commissioners for England and New York State Comptroller Thomas P DiNapoli, asked Exxon to report on how its business model will be affected by global efforts to limit the average rise in temperatures to below 2C.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    The resolution, filed by the Church Commissioners for England and New York State Comptroller Thomas P DiNapoli, asked Exxon to report on how its business model will be affected by global efforts to limit the average rise in temperatures to below 2C.
    To me, the notion that we can turn off this or that or that thing over there and thereby regulate the temperature of the earth is an absolute joke.

I say let technology run it's course. We'll be driving a lot less within 20 years anyway...'cause drones will be delivering damn near everything.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    To me, the notion that we can turn off this or that or that thing over there and thereby regulate the temperature of the earth is an absolute joke.

I agree 100%.

But that doesn't sit well with a narcissistic society who believes that everything that happens in this world is a function of human interaction. Sadly, our society has adopted this vain notion that we are responsible for everything that happens on this planet. That we have now assumed responsibility for what used to be governed by Mother Nature in days past. We actually believe that we can alter the global temperature like changing the thermostat in our homes.

It's gotten so bad that now whenever any natural calamity occurs like a tornado or hurricane we are quick to take credit for it. "Well, this wouldn't have been so severe if we wouldn't have altered the global climate by burning fossil fuels..."

Thousands of years ago man worshiped the sun or other forces of nature. In time, man would move on to worship a god or gods. Now man worships....himself.

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction, tallsteve liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    What you have stated IS a joke, but that's not what is being proposed. The formal term for that type of fallacy is "strawman"

It snowed 3 inches on May 16th...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/01/michigan-congressman-who-believes-in-climate-change-says-god-will-take-care-it.html

Michigan congressman who believes in climate change says God will 'take care of it'

A Republican congressman from Michigan said at a town hall meeting on Friday that God will “take care” of climate change if there’s ever a “real problem.”
    Rep. Tim Walberg, a member of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, was reportedly speaking at a coffee hour in Coldwater, Mich., when he made the comments.
    "I believe there's climate change. I believe there's been climate change since the beginning of time," Walberg said. "Do I think man has some impact? Yeah, of course. Can man change the entire universe? No."
    He went on: "Why do I believe that? Well, as a Christian, I believe that there is a creator in God who is much bigger than us. And I'm confident that, if there's a real problem, he can take care of it."
    ===

Ah, NOW I get it. It's all about who can construct the biggest strawman. Now it's not about trying to mitigate human impact on climate change, it's about Man changing the entire universe. INFINITY +1. PLUS INFINITY!

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    It snowed 3 inches on May 16th...
    And on March 18th, it was 74 degrees...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/01/michigan-congressman-who-believes-in-climate-change-says-god-will-take-care-it.html

Michigan congressman who believes in climate change says God will 'take care of it'

A Republican congressman from Michigan said at a town hall meeting on Friday that God will “take care” of climate change if there’s ever a “real problem.”
    Rep. Tim Walberg, a member of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, was reportedly speaking at a coffee hour in Coldwater, Mich., when he made the comments.
    "I believe there's climate change. I believe there's been climate change since the beginning of time," Walberg said. "Do I think man has some impact? Yeah, of course. Can man change the entire universe? No."
    He went on: "Why do I believe that? Well, as a Christian, I believe that there is a creator in God who is much bigger than us. And I'm confident that, if there's a real problem, he can take care of it."
    ===

Ah, NOW I get it. It's all about who can construct the biggest strawman. Now it's not about trying to mitigate human impact on climate change, it's about Man changing the entire universe. INFINITY +1. PLUS INFINITY!

I wonder if he was just speaking offhand and the media latched on and pounced. There's a difference between making an official public announcement regarding relevant policy and just making an offhand comment about personal beliefs.

Clearly, if he was formally addressing climate change it would be wrong to mix in religion and personal beliefs. Or maybe he was just pandering to his constituency?

19. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    And on March 18th, it was 74 degrees...
    An average temperature for May...

BOOM!!!!

And just like that Trump gives the middle finger to the Paris climate agreement.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44466631&nid...smaying-allies

What you have stated IS a joke, but that's not what is being proposed. The formal term for that type of fallacy is "strawman"
    Oh Hank...I think you and I just have our ears tuned to different sides of the argument.

So does the boss, as he just pissed all over the plan.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

23. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    An average temperature for May...
    From a historical standpoint, the last year that May snowfall reached average or above in Salt Lake City was 1993. All years 1994-2017 have had below average snowfall for May, at least at the airport.

I threw this spreadsheet together for Salt Lake City:

Name:  slc snow.PNG
Views: 229
Size:  19.2 KB

T = trace amounts, or less than 0.1 on average.

Although this decade isn't over yet, the trend for Salt Lake City has definitely been decreasing snowfall in September, October, March, April, and May. This covers this current decade, plus the past five decades prior. Winter snowfall hasn't really decreased much, but early and late snow has decreased dramatically.

2017 this far is the only May since 2010 to receive any measurable snowfall.

Of course this is at the airport. The benches can snow more. The airport has seen up to 7.5 inches of snowfall in May, but the benches have seen snowfalls of 1-2 feet of snow in May. It hasn't happened in several years though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Good read on the Paris Climate Accord.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...s-and-politics