Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming? I don't know what to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    And if humans are responsible for climate change should we be taking action to correct it?
    it would be foolish to think that the ramifications of climate change are necessarily benign, minor, or desirable and that we should just charge ahead and see what happens.

there also might be hysteresis in the system so that the effects aren't directly reversible after some point.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How about all those that are truly concerned about it just kill themselves? Seems like a viable option to me...less carbon spewing humans and the bonus of not having to listen to them gripe about it anymore. Sounds a bit heavy...but why live in misery and worry?
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

4. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    How about all those that are truly concerned about it just kill themselves? Seems like a viable option to me...less carbon spewing humans and the bonus of not having to listen to them gripe about it anymore. Sounds a bit heavy...but why live in misery and worry?
    Couldn't the same be said for those that want the public lands to go away or be transferred because there supposedly isn't enough private land for them to make a living.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

7. Likes qedcook liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Couldn't the same be said for those that want the public lands to go away or be transferred because there supposedly isn't enough private land for them to make a living.
    These people can always find satisfaction in other ways or modify what they do to get by. You're statement is beside my point in that the AGW crowd will NEVER be satisfied...unless the world turns in the direction that they wish, which will never happen.

Continual dissatisfaction in an argument that they'll never win. I say that's a shitty way to live.

It's like we're all hanging around a campfire...roasting smores, maybe smoking a cigar and enjoying some cognac, when someone gets up and tries to convince everyone that there's a problem...except that most those around the fire aren't concerned. The only guy with a problem, is the guy with a problem...you dig what I'm saying?

This thread is kind of pointless. I don't even trust the people who are paid to study this stuff...so no one around here can bring any weight to bear. When the argument can't go anywhere conclusive, I like to throw down the "black curtain"...hence the suicide thing. Bam, done.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

9. Likes Udink liked this post
    Ugh. This is super lame. We're just running around in circles and nobody is ever going to be convinced that they are wrong.

My take on this is that there is not a lot, or anything at this point, that we can do to affect the temperatures that are coming our way. That being said, nobody likes to walk out the front door and be able to taste the air they are breathing. Nobody like to turn on the water tap and have it run dry or spew dirty, poisonous water into your cup. Nobody likes heading out into the mountains or the desert and find piles of trash all over the place. Fossil fuels are great for the energy that they produce, but one day (even if it's a thousand years from now) they are going to run out. The fact that there is so much of it just means that we have time to figure out other means of producing electricity.

Given all that, it is a good idea to not trash the place. Even if you're fine, your kids might not be. The world will be a much different place when my grandkids are my age then it is today. In some ways, I think it'll be much better. In other ways, not so much. It would at least be nice if they could breathe the air and drink the water withour it making them sick.

Also, I'm not a big fan of bankrupting nations just to "stop" climate change. Like I said, it's not stopping no matter what we do at this point. There's no point in destroying the world economy over it.

And you had an issue with the tone of the gun thread? When an urban dictionary definition of ROTFLMAO was quoted?

Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    ​COW FARTS
    i spit out my coffee and i wasn't even drinking any

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    ​COW FARTS
    I'm more concerned about BRAIN FARTS. I seem to be seeing more and more of them these days!
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    And you had an issue with the tone of the gun thread? When an urban dictionary definition of ROTFLMAO was quoted?

Hilarious.
    Oh heck...it''s a bit of a joke, really. I'm not attacking anyone here and certainly not trying to "bully" anyone to suicide. A friend of mine spent YEARS lamenting his divorce...finally I said to him "Get over it or kill yourself".

It's just annoying being preached to by hypocrites. It's pretty easy to flip the bird why they burn gas, take hot showers, wash clothes, buy plastic stuff, fly on planes, etc...

That other thread just read like it was getting very personal. I know Ice can take care of himself just fine, but it just looked ugly. I felt compelled to chime in.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

It's just annoying being preached to by hypocrites. It's pretty easy to flip the bird why they burn gas, take hot showers, wash clothes, buy plastic stuff, fly on planes, etc...
    like republicans/conservatives who are deeply worried about or preach about the national debt, especially in the face of republican/conservative leadership increasing the debt.

while i can appreciate your issue of hypocrisy, i think it's unreasonable to hold everyone accountable to the extreme as you seem to suggest. it's certainly no reason to dismiss it entirely. also, it's not about going cold turkey. it's about curbing the rampant growth of the problem in the short term and finding better ways for the long term. while i am a strong believer in individuals doing their part, if the goal is to reduce the collective impact of our populations, then changes adopted on the large scale (whether they are private or public sector solutions) can have sweeping effects.

16. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    like republicans/conservatives who are deeply worried about or preach about the national debt, especially in the face of republican/conservative leadership increasing the debt.

while i can appreciate your issue of hypocrisy, i think it's unreasonable to hold everyone accountable to the extreme as you seem to suggest. it's certainly no reason to dismiss it entirely. also, it's not about going cold turkey. it's about curbing the rampant growth of the problem in the short term and finding better ways for the long term. while i am a strong believer in individuals doing their part, if the goal is to reduce the collective impact of our populations, then changes adopted on the large scale (whether they are private or public sector solutions) can have sweeping effects.
    First of all, I personally don't give a rat's ass about the national debt and my "suicide solution" in regards to the AGW crowd is simply a tongue-in-cheek remark to the misanthropy of the whole thing. Being so definitively concerned about how other people live is nonsense to me...especially when the culprits aren't leaching on society at large.

I'm with you on hoping that technology will cure all our ills...I can't imagine that 100 years from now they'll be putting around with internal combustion engines or that a bulk of our electricity will still be generated by dirty power plants...it's too bad we can't launch big time into nuclear...but there certainly is risk in that, check out the Wiki on "Normal Accidents".

I just don't think a radical headlong rush is necessary...and I certainly don't dig the fact that these kids are having the shit scared out of them in regards to their future with the heavy catastrophe predictions. I was 17 years old in 1980 and at that time, there was a lot of worry about nuclear war. All kinds of music and movies were made about it's inevitability...check out the lyrics of the Prince song "1999", you might be surprised by that one!

Anyway, I never really worried about that, as it seemed to me as highly unlikely madness. I had plenty of friends though, that were seriously downed about what the future would hold...I felt sorry for them being so worried about such a high improbability. This global warming "panic" is like a repeat of that, IMO.

I live in a one bedroom condo, never had kids, I recycle my stuff and generate about one bag of garbage per week...one load of laundry per week, too. But I own and drive two vehicles (one work, one play) and am plugged into the grid...as solar is not functional in my complex. Not sure I'd sign up for it, anyway.

I paint houses for a living...at least a couple hundred people each year. Big houses, big energy use with the washer and dryer spinning all day, mom in and out with shopping bags, zipping around with the kids in the SUV, AC all summer long, big trash bins getting filled up each week, etc...

Cars and power plants, man...that's where the answer lies. Give it some time, I say.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

18. Likes Udink liked this post

Am I reading this right...they wanna go ahead and sue the entire United States government for their actions (or inactions) over the last 50 years?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Please enjoy this image that perfectly illustrates how most things are portrayed on the internet...including global warming:

(Sorry it won't embed...please follow the link - you won't regret it)

http://m.webtoons.com/en/comedy/dust...&episode_no=54

22. Likes twotimer liked this post
    That one had me laughing hard!
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

That one had me laughing hard!
    It's pretty good, right? For those of you that haven't clicked the link you should. It's completely relevant, and completely hilarious.

Awesome.

Top 10 climate change predictions gone spectacularly wrong....

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/to...tm_campaign=LC

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Top 10 climate change predictions gone spectacularly wrong....

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/to...tm_campaign=LC
    LOL. This is why it's difficult to take the most recent predictions at face value. How do you sift fact from hysteria?