Thread: Airport shooting: 5 dead in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Airport shooting: 5 dead in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The gunman who opened fire at the airport in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, had a gun checked in his baggage and had declared the firearm, law enforcement sources told CNN.

The suspect flew to Florida from Alaska, via Canada, the sources said. When he arrived at the Fort Lauderdale Airport, he retrieved his bag at baggage claim, he took out the gun and started firing, the sources said. One source said he went to the bathroom to get the gun out of his luggage and emerged firing.

"People started kind of screaming and trying to get out of any door they could or hide under the chairs," a witness, Mark Lea, told MSNBC. "He just kind of continued coming in, just randomly shooting at people, no rhyme or reason to it."

Then the attacker threw down his weapon and lay spread-eagle on the ground until he was taken into custody, Lea said.

Five people are dead, and 13 injured people were transported to hospitals.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/06/us/for...ent/index.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by CBS video from @accadacca post above
    ...if this becomes a terror incident...
    [Quoted in the video that accadacca posted, my bold above)

All gun incidents are terror incidents, shirley?

I'd be terrified, for sure.

Well, say goodbye to flying with your guns now.

What type of gun was it? Was it a glock? I'll bet it was a glock.

Helpful media guide
    Glock = any handgun
    Assault Rifle = any long gun

FWI- This will soon be classified as a terrorist attack/hate crime when the media quits all the politically correct bullshit. The gunman at one point last year turned himself into the FBI because "ISIS was controlling his mind".

The real problem is shitty psychological support with regards to our health care system.

The secondary problem is how do you safeguard soft targets. Instead of making this an anti firearms issue folks had better be thankful the dude didn't drive a semi truck down the pickup lane and through the shuttle stops or the death toll would have been higher.

As for US firearm laws and regulations they are about to get much better for gun owners. You would know this if you paid attention to what the NRA and similar pro gun groups had planed for January 21st with the support of the new POTUS.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The gunman at one point last year turned himself into the FBI because "ISIS was controlling his mind".
    The news stories I have seen say that the gunman was also pissed because he was forced to fight ISIS in the military.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Watch another news source. The one you are watching is wrong. Simply look at the guys Facebook pics and you'll see which side he was identifying with.

On a side note... we need to allow our law enforcement to profile. It's accurate, it works, it will save lives.

Watch another news source. The one you are watching is wrong. Simply look at the guys Facebook pics and you'll see which side he was identifying with.
    What is wrong with the statement? The two aren't mutually exclusive of each other. If he did identify with ISIS wouldn't he be pissed that he was supposed to fight them? It seems that both statements actually support each other. I think it is obvious that he identified with ISIS.

PS, where did you find the FB posts?

On a side note... we need to allow our law enforcement to profile. It's accurate, it works, it will save lives.
    I agree in some cases, but in this case, what would they profile for? He was a Catholic, an American citizen born in New Jersey with Hispanic heritage, was in the military, and had a conceal carry permit.

Which one of these should be profiled?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

As soon as he told the authorities in Alaska that he was having wacky ISIS thoughts, somebody should have but a bullet thru his head. Nip it in the bud before these crazies go off the rails.

A bit harsh? I don't think so...as I'm all for helping the mentally ill, but when it's coupled with thoughts of violence and death, then putting them out of their misery is merciful. Just my opinion, of course. Reality as I'd like to see it...would actually save innocent lives.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Which one of these should be profiled?
    How about the one where he had begun to dress like ISIS fighters and began to mimic their actions and mannerisms.

The guy was also under psychiatric care, which means he was not allowed to legally process a firearm. How about just enforcing the laws currently on the books?

How about the one where he had begun to dress like ISIS fighters and began to mimic their actions and mannerisms.
    I agree. Unfortunately, even if someone was on Terror Watch List, and did all of the above he or she would still be allowed to have a firearm.

The guy was also under psychiatric care, which means he was not allowed to legally process a firearm.
    You can still be under psychiatric care and legally posses a firearm, at least as per Federal Law. The exemptions are if have been committed to a mental institution or have been legally declared to be "mentally defective". Just being under psychiatric care does not exempt someone.

State laws do vary, but most do allow owning firearms if you are under psychiatric care. Utah's law for example, simply states:

An individual over the age of 21 may be issued a permit to carry a concealed firearm for lawful self defense, unless:
    • he has been adjudicated by a state or federal court as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed.

Unfortunately, the reason I know this because one of my extended family members has been under psychiatric care and has threatened to gun down several family members several times and he still has all kinds of access to firearms. A lot of firearms.

One other question. Why was this guy not on the Feds no fly list?

One other question. Why was this guy not on the Feds no fly list?
    My bet is that he legally couldn't be placed on the no fly list. Wouldn't want to trample on his rights...

Where do you draw the line?

I think between the libtard lefties (ha ha) and the NRA there's common ground for wanting to keep firearms out of the hands of the mentally ill. But, how?

I recall that in "Kalifornia", to get a concealed weapon permit, you have to pay for and pass a psych exam.

https://www.co.merced.ca.us/Document...Home/View/5537

Hmm.

Please be aware the application process includes an interview, fingerprinting, background checks, residency verification, successful completion of firearms training, and the payment of all related fees. Applicants may also be required to pass a psychological examination as part of the CCW application process in accordance with California Penal Code Section 26190(f)(1).

Mental illness and firearms. You got your 2nd amendment colliding with HIPPA.

How many folks in Utah would lose their guns if having a prescription for depression was a discriminator?

And...should they?

What about folks who even have a hint of medication to treat psychosis?

Tough sleddin'...

16. Likes Rob L liked this post
    Last time I flew with a gun was around 2003, to Anchorage and back. I had to take it to the ticket/baggage counter to declare it. I had to have the breach open with a cable lock through it, then the Delta folks put their cable lock through the breach (a second cable) as well as their lock on the case. I could not have the ammo and the gun in the same checked bag. When I arrived home I had to take the bag to the Delta desk so they could remove their locks, airport security somehow showed up and was present, though a few yards away, as I exited the terminal.

I know things have relaxed a little since then but it seems odd that he was able to head to the bathroom and load it up. Are there some pieces to the story missing?

Anyone who has flown with a firearm knows that is not the problem. Transporting firearms on an airplane is about a secure as you can make it. I have a feeling no matter how far security followed the terrorist the minute he was out of surveillance he would have loaded the gun and returned. I'm guessing he went into the restroom as a way of shaking any surveillance.

Speaking of soft targets....

The FBI’s George Piro says shooting suspect Esteban Santiago traveled to Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International “specifically” to carry out his attack in a gun-free zone.

Florida is one of only six states that prohibits concealed carry permit holders from carrying guns in unsecured areas of airports for self-defense.