Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit chilly outside?

A bit chilly outside?

It might be a little chilly tonight. Of course, usually when the forecast says -28, it's actually in the -30's. We'll see I guess. It didn't get up to 8F this afternoon like it was supposed to either.

Unfortunately, it is supposed to be a bit breezy tonight and tomorrow so windchills are going to be a lot colder than the actual temperatures.

The wonderful "joys" of living in Craig Colorado. We have been getting buried with feet of snow, but as soon as it clears, the temperature drops.

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's pretty cold here in Denver, too. Nothing like you get up there...I swear I couldn't be paid enough to live any further north nor east of here.

A guy named Kent Frost wrote a book "My Canyonlands", about him growing up in Monticello and La Sal back in the teens and 1920s. He told of a cold snap that was so cold it actually killed all the cows in the region.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

6 here at my crib in South Jordan.

Current temperature:

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

West side of RMNP. Hard to see the text at the top, but it says -39.1F.

Name:  kawuneeche_valley.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  49.5 KB

7. Likes Scott P liked this post
    6 miles away at the top of trail ridge rd at the alpine visitor center, it was 11 degrees.

The temperature is still dropping, even after sunrise:

That's downtown though. My home thermometer says -43F.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

To put that into perspective...it's currently 8 degrees in Calgary, Canada and Anchorage, Alaska.

It's the coldest year on record so far!!! JK, I don't know if it is. I just like making up stats on climate change,

Twas -2 this morning here in Brigham City. That's cold enough for me. Glad I'm not in Craig. Geez.

-13 here in Cedar City. So cold exposed skin literally hurts after 5 minutes outdoors.

Can't imagine what -40 would feel like...

It's the coldest year on record so far!!! JK, I don't know if it is.
    Definitely not. It's not even remotely close.

If you are curious, the coldest January in Salt Lake was in 1949. That month dropped to -22 in SLC and the temperature dropped below zero on 15 days. The average high for the month was 21.7 and the average low was 1.4. The temperature never rose above 36F the entire month.

Although that was the coldest month overall in SLC, that year didn't have the all time lowest temperatures. Those belong to the cold snap of February 8-9 1933. Check out the low temperature in Salt Lake for those two days:

Name:  slc.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  slc2.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  61.2 KB

1937 was another cold one as well. Even St George hit -11. Green River Utah was -42.

In Salt Lake City every decade before 2000 dropped down to at least -12. Since 1996 (when it dropped down to -12), Salt Lake hasn't seen a temperature below -5. In fact this morning's -5 in SLC ties for the coldest temperature since 1996.

So while it is chilly, it could be a lot worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

I can't imagine that cold. You must spend a fortune on keeping the house warm! (and anti-freeze for vehicles).

My sister lives in Fairbanks. High today is -20F. Brr. Not unusual for sure for them.

It's 35 F here in St. George for this week's daytime low... I don't know how any of you live in those places...I'll take the hot hot hot summer over those temps you guys are posting.

18. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    A tad bit nipply out...

Name:  J8OnWhz.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  96.8 KB
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

A bit chilly outside?

@greyhair_biker posted this on Facebook this morning from Little America, Wyoming.

You must spend a fortune on keeping the house warm! (and anti-freeze for vehicles).
    We have an energy efficient house, so perhaps not as much as people think. Our recent monthly gas bill was $50.26 for a 3250 square foot house, which is fairly reasonable considering the temperatures. Of course we did spend money making our house energy efficient.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, it's -28F right now. It is possible that tonight may be colder than last night, but we'll see.

The forecast actually uses the words "Todays is forecast to be MUCH WARMER than yesterday". I guess that they are right. It's a warmer -28F right now and by afternoon it may get close to 0.

C'mon Scott...let's see that bathing suit.

Name:  ySwsEp2.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  46.8 KB
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

24. Likes accadacca liked this post