Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Football 2017

It’s way too early to have a good sense of how things will play out next season, but well past the point where it’s OK to start trying. With the scent of spring practice in the air, it felt like a good time to try to gauge expectations for next season. We’re taking stock of each team in the Pac-12 and see how things are shaping up for 2017. We conclude our series with Utah.

Under Kyle Whittingham, Utah has been a consistent contender in the Pac-12 South during the past three seasons. Lachlan Cunningham/Getty ImagesUtes' role in the division race: Utah has been a serious contender in the Pac-12 South title chase for the past three seasons, winning at least nine games each year. The Utes peaked with a 10-win 2015 campaign, one which fell short of a division crown only because of a late 17-9 home loss to UCLA.

The bottom line is that Utah has established itself as a force to be reckoned with in the Pac-12 while also demonstrating consistency. There are certainly flaws to be addressed here -- the offense, in particular, has gone MIA at some critical junctures -- but the Utes undoubtedly bring one of the league's hardest hitting and most physical presences.
    Last year, Utah finished three games off the Pac-12 South pace. But it's vital to examine the Utes' record more closely. All four of their losses came by a touchdown or less, and one of their wins was over USC. To this point, that's the only game the Trojans have ever lost with Sam Darnold as their starting quarterback.

So while the Utes are replacing many key pieces -- four starting offensive linemen, star running back Joe Williams, and seven quality defense starters are gone -- they must still be considered a legitimate threat. USC is the favorite in the South, but recent history tells us Utah will remain a capable force.

What constitutes success: The high volume of defensive departure will test the Utes' penchant for consistency in 2017. Games at USC and Washington immediately stand out as massive challenges. An Oct. 7 showdown against Stanford is an early highlight on the home schedule.

Kyle Whittingham has set a high bar in Salt Lake City, winning 28 games over the past three seasons. So while the schedule may be daunting, the Utes will have to win at least eight games games while rebuilding their defense for 2017 to be considered a success.

Offseason priorities: Retooling the offensive line is priority one. Utah has established its will here recently, and fresh faces will be responsible for perpetuating that success. Successfully working massive junior college tackle Jordan Agasiva into the rotation will help in the effort.

The Utes must also pick a quarterback. Right now, it's a battle between incumbent Troy Williams, rising talent Tyler Huntley, and Alabama graduate transfer Cooper Bateman. If this competition bores consistent quarterback play, the Utah offense can become more dependable.

Defensively, the Utes need bodies to replace defensive linemen Hunter Dimick and Pita Taumoepenu. Both brought disruptive presences which Utah will miss particularly acutely since several starters also are leaving the secondary. That unit must establish cohesion around its one returning stalwart, safety Chase Hansen.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/...the-south-utah

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ok, I correctly predicted last year's win-loss record, and I'm pretty confident I can repeat with this year's schedule.

I'm looking at the Utes to go 8-4 this year, with definite losses to Arizona, USC, and Washington.

What you got?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Utah football beats out numerous Pac-12 schools, BYU for commitment of athlete Malone Mataele

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...e-Mataele.html

Vegas says 6.5 wins this year for the Utes. Are you taking the over or under?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Vegas says 6.5 wins this year for the Utes. Are you taking the over or under?
    Over

North Dakota
    BYU
    SJSU
    ASU
    Wash. St.
    Colorado
    7th win comes from one of the road games against Arizona, Oregon, or Washington

The BYU game is gonna be a tough one. BYU always gears up to play the Utes, especially in Provo. Plus Utah lost a very large chunk of really good talent to the NFL, so they're playing with a relatively young inexperienced team that hasn't had a lot of playing time together. A lot of Ute fans will automatically chalk this one up as a win, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Cougs won this year.

In byu book, the season it's a success if they beat the Utes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Utah, Kyle Whittingham agree to contract extension through 2021

Why Jordan Palmer thinks former Utah QB Travis Wilson will catch 35 passes

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles...atch-35-passes

Why Jordan Palmer thinks former Utah QB Travis Wilson will catch 35 passes

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles...atch-35-passes

Interesting article. I hope Palmer is right. I'm glad to see Wilson make something of himself in the pros.

Although I think the biggest obstacle to Wilson's success is gonna be the fact that he's injury prone. The pros are relentlessly hard hitters, especially when they know there are bets being made about the supposedly remarkable ability of some walk-on rookie.

Utah Football 2017

Mountain Dew comes to the U! (Oh yeah and Pepsi too...)

By Amy McIff, Communications Manager, Auxiliary Business Development

In a unique and unprecedented agreement with the University of Utah, PepsiCo Inc. has been named the university’s official beverage provider, effective July 1.

PepsiCo brings to campus an extraordinarily diverse portfolio of products including Gatorade, Mountain Dew, Starbucks, Aquafina, craft sodas and many other products, in addition to Pepsi-Cola and its classic soda lineup.

Beyond a robust and health-conscious product offering, the partnership yields a multitude of benefits for the university community, placing a particular focus on students. As part of the agreement, PepsiCo will fund a number of internships and scholarships, a brand ambassador program and other career development opportunities. Efforts supporting sustainability and a recycling program aim to boost engagement at the broader U community level.

“We’re excited to begin our partnership with PepsiCo, a world-class organization that has made great efforts to integrate with our campus and support our students,” said John Nixon, vice president for Administrative Services for the University of Utah. “This contract will provide roughly 200 scholarships, helping our students with financial needs and those whose academic success merits recognition.”

The agreement was forged with careful attention to detail, even addressing the iconic PepsiCo label whose royal blue color may be slightly off-putting to Utah fans. U administrators collaborated with the PepsiCo team to develop co-branded signage and collateral — a first for PepsiCo who heretofore has never removed their classic blue color or allowed co-branding at this level. Vending machines, coolers and other retail hardware will incorporate both PepsiCo and U logos without the blue background that just wouldn’t look quite right on Utah’s campus.

“As a proud Ute alumni and on behalf of PepsiCo, I’m thrilled for the opportunity to make some of PepsiCo’s most iconic and innovative brands available to the University of Utah community,” said Kirk Tanner, president and chief operating officer of North America Beverages at PepsiCo. “The university has my personal commitment to bring the absolute best that PepsiCo has to offer to this new partnership.”

The physical transition from Coca-Cola to PepsiCo will begin on July 1 and continue throughout the month as beverage products, coolers and machines are swapped in and out. PepsiCo and the university anticipate executing a seamless transition but ask for your patience as the process takes place.

https://attheu.utah.edu/facultystaff...beverage-game/

At first I was pissed because I prefer Coke over Pepsi. But then I remembered Mountain Dew is a Pepsi product...I fully endorse this change.

And the players that make the product still get zero percent of revenues...

Ute positions breakdown: receivers Singleton, Simpkins and Wilson look to adapt to new offense

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...n-look-to.html

Ranking Utah's 2017 Opponents from Easiest to Most Difficult:

12. North Dakota
    11. San Jose State
    10. Arizona State
    9. @Arizona
    8. @BYU
    7. @Oregon
    6. UCLA
    5. Stanford
    4. Colorado
    3. Washington State
    2. @Washington
    1. @USC

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...-schedule-2017

Utah has a fairly consistent reputation of winning at least one game they shouldn't and losing at least one game that they should've easily won.

Predictions?

Lose to Arizona and beat Washington State.

Carrington pulled in 112 passes, 1,919 yards and 15 touchdowns in three seasons at Oregon

Carrington pulled in 112 passes, 1,919 yards and 15 touchdowns in three seasons at Oregon
    Why would Carrington come to Utah? What's the motivation?