Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Football 2017

Utah Football 2017

Troy Taylor is Utah’s New Offensive Coordinator

SALT LAKE CITY—Troy Taylor, who directed the top passing offense in the NCAA FCS this season at Eastern Washington, has accepted a position at Utah as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham also announced today that offensive line coach Jim Harding will serve as the new assistant head coach after two seasons as the co-offensive coordinator.

Taylor comes to Utah after a highly-successful season as the co-offensive coordinator, play caller and quarterbacks coach at EWU. The Eagles, who averaged an FCS-best 401.0 passing yards per game in 2016, also ranked No. 2 nationally in total offense (529.6 ypg) and No. 3 in scoring offense (42.4 ppg). Eastern Washington finished 12-2, losing 40-38 in the FCS semifinals to Youngstown State.

"I have watched Troy Taylor closely over the years when he was coaching innovative high school offenses in California and was eager to see how that translated to college coaching. He achieved the same results at Eastern Washington and we are fortunate that Troy was interested in bringing that style of offense here to Utah," said Whittingham. "Troy has trained a prolific number of record-setting quarterbacks in high school, at his academy and now in college."

"I am thrilled to be a part of the University of Utah football program," said Taylor. "I have admired Coach Whittingham and his program for a long time. The opportunity to come on board and help win a Pac-12 championship is a dream come true.

"We will have an attacking style of offense that stretches the field and the defense in every way," Taylor continued. "Creating success for the quarterback will be our utmost priority. If your QB plays well, you have a great chance of winning. Therefore, the development of his fundamentals and skill set are vital. However, it is just as imperative to have an offensive system that is both dynamic and user friendly. That has been the driving force in my offensive philosophy and I am excited to bring this to the University of Utah."

Under Taylor, Eastern Washington sophomore Gage Gubrud set an NCAA FCS single-season record by passing for 5,160 yards, while throwing 48 touchdown passes. Gabrud, the 2016 FCS Player of the Year by the Touchdown Club of Columbus, averaged 368.6 passing yards per game, which also led the nation.

Taylor's instant success at Eastern Washington mirrored his lofty accomplishments as a high school coach and founder of The Passing Academy—a highly-regarded elite high school quarterback camp. His offense at Folsom High School in California set state records for passing in four straight seasons, as well as the record for most points scored in a season.

Among Taylor's most notable high school success stories was 2016 Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year Jake Browning of Washington. Taylor coached Browning from the time he was in fifth grade until he graduated as one of the most prolific passers in prep history from Folsom High. Browning set national records for touchdowns in a season (91 in 2014, tied) and a career (229, in just three seasons). He set a number of California state high school records as well, including season (5,790) and career (16,775) passing yards.

Taylor, himself a former record-setting quarterback at Cal, played two seasons for the New York Jets as a fourth-round draft pick in 1990. His first coaching job was at Casa Roble High School in Sacramento, Calif., in 1994 and his first college coaching job was as a graduate assistant at Colorado in 1995. He then spent four years as a Cal assistant from 1996-1999, coaching the wide receivers (1996), quarterbacks (1997-98) and tight ends (1999). He was also Cal's recruiting coordinator in 1999.

Taylor left Cal to become an assistant athletic director at Christian Brothers High School (2000-01) in Sacramento, where he also taught and was an assistant football coach for one season (2000). Before taking the post at Eastern Washington in 2016, Taylor spent seven years as a high school coach and teacher, including two stints (2002-04 and 2012-15) as the co-head coach at Folsom. Folsom went 58-3 from 2012-15, winning four Sac-Joaquin Section championships and the 2014 CIF State Division I title.

Taylor also served as the Cal football radio analyst from 2005-2011.

As a player, Taylor led the Pac-10 Conference in total offense in 1989 and finished his collegiate career as Cal's all-time leading passer (8,126 yards) and total offense leader (8,236 yards)—records that stood for 26 years until they were broken by Jared Goff in 2015. He received his bachelor's degree in sociology from in 1994 and a master's degree in cross-cultural teaching from National University in Sacramento.

2. Likes gholt liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Utah Football 2017

Utah's Marcus Williams declares for 2017 NFL Draft

Utah safety Marcus Williams announced on Twitter he will forgo his senior season and declare for the NFL draft.

"After much consideration about my future with my family, I have decided to forgo my senior season at the University of Utah and enter the 2017 NFL Draft," Williams said. "This program has developed me from a boy into a man. It has taught me how to sacrifice to get where I want to be. It has shown me how to face adversity no matter how bad it may be."

Williams finished third on the team with 64 tackles and led the Utes with five interceptions in 11 games in 2016.

For his career, Williams recorded 189 tackles, 11 interceptions, and forced four fumbles in 37 games.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1198561

Yay glad to see Utah get someone that knows how to develop QB.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sucks that Marcus is leaving. He's a great player. Hope he does well in the NFL.

Utes OL Garett Bolles declares for NFL Draft

The more I learn about Troy Taylor (Utah's new OC) the more excited I am to see if he can fix Utah's anemic offense. The only part that has me a bit concerned is he runs a hurry up offense, and if your team sucks at moving the chains that becomes a hurry up and punt offense.

Utah should take notes. That's a quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Utah should take notes. That's a quarterback.

Well, it helps that Clemson has a superior receiving corps. They had four WRs go for over 90 yards! Incredible...

Their receivers caught some incredible balls too. They just wanted it more in the end.

Well, the Utes are gonna need him since Evan Moeai, Tim Patrick, and Cory Butler-Byrd are all departing seniors.

2017 Utah Football Schedule is Announced

15. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Pretty cushy non-conf. schedule

2017 Utah Football Schedule is Announced

Epic Fail!

...and the bye week lands on week 4, after having played a bunch of cupcakes, Ugh!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Epic Fail!
    How is this different from last year? They are basically swapping Southern Utah for North Dakota.

How is this different from last year? They are basically swapping Southern Utah for North Dakota.
    Your picture is not showing up.

It may be a rough year for them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

They're gonna have to work pretty hard to head into their bye with even a 2-2 record, as BYU in Provo and Arizona in Tucson are gonna be tough wins...especially with a new offensive scheme, and no Joe Williams to bail them out when the going gets tough.