Thread: What is on your 2017 Bucket List?

What is on your 2017 Bucket List?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sierra Nevadas, Wind Rivers, and lots of canyons in Escalante (Baker Canyon, Ringtail, the smaller forks of Baker, etc.)

I'd like to get some aerial footage of the Spiral Jetty. Related; I need to get my commercial drone permit so I can start providing paid photography.

6. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Work less
    Yeah, no joke.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'd like to get some aerial footage of the Spiral Jetty. Related; I need to get my commercial drone permit so I can start providing paid photography.
    I was thinking the same thing. Nearly every drone video you have (except for our Adam Waterfall rappelling) video went viral :P

I hope there is decent money in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

My 2017 Bucket List is pretty full. A boy's trip to Poland in February; Oshkosh (Wisconsin) in July.
    In April/May 2017 I aim to fly my little aeroplane the route below:
    roughly Chicago to San Diego and back.

This will hopefully involve zig-zagging over much of Utah that I missed last May (2016) due to high winds. I still want to land on Highway 95, adjacent to the Sandthrax campground. If not, at the airstrip just up the road at the 95 / 276 junction.

(KCNY at the apex of the above picture is Canyonlands airport, 16 miles north of Moab)

By then I might have got the US flying bug out of my system, and return to canyons by foot and harness.

The GBP/USD exchange rate makes it an expensive trip for me. Some of you US folks should consider getting a cheap holiday in the UK whilst the exchange favours your way.

Rob

10. Likes 2065toyota, accadacca liked this post
    I must have lived a pretty full life because I really can't think of anything I really want to do that I haven't already done.

12. Likes dakotabelliston, 2065toyota liked this post
    During college I made a legitimate bucket list. A few years ago I found my list and I had checked off every item on it.

Hunted all the hunts I had wanted to, bought all the toys and cars, traveled to all the places.

I really need to make a new one.

3 things I am planning on doing at some point is I want to drive to Alaska and back, I want to hike the entire Appalachian Trail, and I want to visit all the National Parks.

They won't all happen in 2017, but they will happen at some point

14. Likes accadacca, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Still need to cross Heaps off my list. Every time I schedule it something has come up. 2017 I need to knock off the notorious canyon !!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    For 2017, these are the items on my list:

-Wild feral pig (Boar) hunt in the SE (TX, LA, TN, or MI (w/Ted Nugent - knowing that's not the SE): Scheduled for Spring
    -Cash out 25% of my stock options to set aside for the next phase of my career (KACHING!)
    -ATV 5Mile Pass to Mesquite or Logandale (I have this mostly mapped out now)
    -Fish Alaska (tentative dates already scheduled)
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Same bucket list as always, but not very specific:

Hike or climb on 150+ days
    Climb 100+ mountains
    Canyoneer 20+ canyons
    Climb 5+ rock towers

A few more specific goals are the Grand Teton, Little Bear Peak, Ellingwood Point, Blanca Peak, Mount Eolus, Sunlight Peak, and the Crestones Traverse.

I want to knock of at least several of the items on the list below:

http://www.summitpost.org/scott-s-wish-list/335481

http://www.summitpost.org/scott-s-wi...canyons/823847

http://www.summitpost.org/scott-s-wi...istance/823848

http://www.summitpost.org/scott-s-wi...nations/823850

I must have lived a pretty full life because I really can't think of anything I really want to do that I haven't already done.
    I'm kind of the opposite. The more I do, the more things I can think of that I want to do and the more I realize that I'll never have the time to finish them all.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

18. Likes Rob L, 2065toyota liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    the Crestones Traverse.
    An old girlfriend of mine and I have discussed doing this (she's quite durable) and I would imagine that you're not planning on doing it alone. If you can make this happen this summer and need a partner, let me know. I can take time off whenever I wish.

My bucket list is focused mostly on the short term...I've really gotten into mountain biking in the last few years and am planning on riding down in Big Bend State Park near the end of this month...hiking in the National Park there and visiting Carlsbad Caverns. Basically a "head south mid-winter road trip"...gone anywhere from two weeks to a month, depending on the weather.

Lots of biking in Moab, and knocking out the Slickrock loop in less than an hour and a half.

Less work, more play this summer...something I've been getting better at in the last few years.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

An old girlfriend of mine and I have discussed doing this (she's quite durable) and I would imagine that you're not planning on doing it alone. If you can make this happen this summer and need a partner, let me know.
    Sure. We should climb it sometime this summer. I will be bringing my son.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Hike or climb on 150+ days
    Climb 100+ mountains
    Canyoneer 20+ canyons
    Climb 5+ rock towers
    I consider these goals and not bucket list items. I have both short term and long term goals in my life.
    Being a good husband and father, running a successful company, living a healthy lifestyle are all goals.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    Still need to cross Heaps off my list.
    Now something specific like Heaps or Grand Teton I would consider a bucket list item. But since I have already done both those they have been crossed off my bucket list.

Buying and restoring a classic mucsle car was probably the last item on my bucket list that I crossed off. The list is currently complete, but I will probably add something else one of these days.

Here is the item that completed the bucket list I've had since I was young.

Name:  2014-09-13 16.51.13.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  97.7 KB

@Scott P - That's 275 days out of 365 that you'd be away doing stuff. Are you retired? How do you find the time?

That's 275 days out of 365 that you'd be away doing stuff
    I wish. The above is counting after work activities (which is why it says hike or climb on 150 days rather than for 150 days).

I actually work a lot, especially in the warm season (six days a week all summer, usually 12 hours a day or more).

The warm season routine goes something like this:

Wake up 6:00 AM, be to work by 6:30, work until 7 or 8 PM, hurry and climb mountain after work while hoping to be on the summit by dark, hike down in the dark, eat something and go to bed. One week I had 117 hours of work, but that was several years ago. This summer I "only" averaged around 70 hours.

I actually get many summits that way in summer:

http://www.summitpost.org/2016-trip-log/963348

Screen shots from the log of typical summits in summer:

Name:  Log 1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  Log 2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  24.7 KB

Doing the above I was able to hike or climb on 16 days in July, 17 in August, and 16 in September, even though I almost never had a full day off during that time period.

Of course, in winter everything is buried in snow and I can take all the time I want off, but don't get paid for it after I run out of vacation time.

24. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Nearly every drone video you have (except for our Adam Waterfall rappelling) video went viral :P
    Yeah I thought it would be bigger too, it's very difficult sometimes to forecast which videos will hit big on Social Media. I've only begun in the last year or so to broadcast my videos to other platforms, using proper hashtags, sending them via message to the media outlets, things like that.

Some of my favorite videos are absolute duds. It's hard to tell. Sometimes the timing is a huge factor too, and sometimes a revisit like a "throwback" post is what gets it popular in the media.

All I can say is we need to try it again! This time let's try Willard Canyon waterfalls.

My daughter's tooth getting pulled by my drone may be featured in another TV special, I was just contacted this week about it, so you never know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Yeah I thought it would be bigger too, it's very difficult sometimes to forecast which videos will hit big on Social Media. I've only begun in the last year or so to broadcast my videos to other platforms, using proper hashtags, sending them via message to the media outlets, things like that.

Some of my favorite videos are absolute duds. It's hard to tell. Sometimes the timing is a huge factor too, and sometimes a revisit like a "throwback" post is what gets it popular in the media.

All I can say is we need to try it again! This time let's try Willard Canyon waterfalls.

My daughter's tooth getting pulled by my drone may be featured in another TV special, I was just contacted this week about it, so you never know.

That's pretty interesting. I think there is a lot to it with timing. IE weekday vs weekend. Winter vs summer. What's in demand and what are the hot topics of that day, etc. Inversion is always a hot topic in January in Utah so it makes sense why everyone watched it. It offered a unique view that we usually don't see.

And yea! The Willard waterfalls are sweet! Or would you want to see the waterfalls in Pearson canyon instead?

There's a bunch up there and late May would be a good time to do those. But prepared for the long haul though. It's very tough on the knees. But I'll take you through.

Rob who came with us the one day on the rappel is always says to me "dude, your buddy is on the news again! It's showing up in my FB feed. He's a popular dude." :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"