Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama to declare Bears Ears National Monument in Utah

For better or worse ATV tracks usually take a big hit anytime an area is tagged with something like Monument status. I expect over the next 10 years the ATV tracks in Cedar Mesa will take a big hit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Since a part of Comb Ridge which is now in the National Monument, was recently sold to the Lyman Family Farm Inc. I did some quick google searching on them and found some interesting purchases:

- They bought acres of land in Comb Ridge, which contains no water or good grazing land for the family "farm"
    - They bought hundreds of acres outside of Tropic and Bryce Canyon NP recently.
    - In Oct. 2016 they bought 200 acres in Cave Valley (adjacent to Zion National Park), but thankfully they are keeping the slot canyons there open which is part of the agreement.
    - This is the same Lyman that lead the ATV protest ride through Recapture Canyon.
    - I'm sure there are more, but that's just from a quick google search.

It just seems odd to me... and maybe there isn't a conspiracy theory but their choice of lands do raise eyebrows.

Edit/Update: Ha! I guess I wasn't the only one who thought this "Farm" was interesting. Looks like the Salt Lake Tribune did a report on them back in November 2016. http://www.sltrib.com/home/4536249-1...illions-buying
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    For better or worse ATV tracks usually take a big hit anytime an area is tagged with something like Monument status. I expect over the next 10 years the ATV tracks in Cedar Mesa will take a big hit.
    Too bad.That is one of the least abused areas I have ever been in.

For better or worse most organizations believe the only way to gain support for preservation is to publicize the area so more people "care" about it.

As for Family Farms, looks like they are playing a win - win. The areas they are buying are prime for development as popularity increases.

From the T-Dawg:

http://t-dawgspeaks.blogspot.com/

Also of interest for the canyoneers is after his post about the Bear's Ears, is the New Zealand stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post

That's about the most left leaning article I've read all year...and it's December 30th.

Here's the Readers Digest version:

Obama is wise and all knowing. Republican Utah leaders are drooling idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    That's about the most left leaning article I've read all year...and it's December 30th.

Wow! If that's the most left leaning article you've read this year, I'm guessing you don't venture too far from foxnews.

By the way, what points do you disagree with?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post

QFT!

Ha ha.

I guess you picked up on his opening sentence?

Well, it happened:President Obama created the Bear’s Ears National Monument yesterday!For us bleeding heart lib’ral extremisttree huggin, granola-eatin’ wackos we heartily raised our too-expensive locally-brewed craft ales in a toast to this needed move.

He did address each one of their talking points. Maybe you could do the same with your opinion?

Or, would you agree that they are drooling idiots (especially when it comes to discussing the Bear's Ears)?

You know, I spent a good deal of time scouring the internets trying to find an objective article about this issue, addressing both sides of the debate in a respectful, intelligent manner.

I'm still looking...

Tdog's article didn't address much of anything objectively. Although it did shower praise all over Obama's unilateral land grab.

Generally, I oppose any sweeping unilateral executive action. I opposed George W's unilateral invasion of Iraq, Clinton's unilateral land grab of GSNM, and now Obama's unilateral land grab of the Bear's Ears.

Permits for the Black Hole will be required within 5 years? Yea or nay? I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Permits for the Black Hole will be required within 5 years? Yea or nay? I hope not.
    Two years tops.
    Blog | FB

Nay. Look at all the permits required for Escalante canyons...none.

What'll be interesting is the growing pains. The ATV thing ala Recapture Canyon.

Crazy history in the Escalante that seems to have settled out. Was a period when the BLM was closing trails with signs and the local sheriff was pulling them up and leaving them on the BLM's doorstep. Locals were signing even silly road drainage cuts as viable roads. That RS 2477 fight. Been unusually quiet for the last couple of years. Maybe both sides lost steam and common sense finally prevailed.

I'd say probably not, but the local Sheriff has been trying to get access closed to that hike for several years now.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

FYI - all references to the Black Hole hike and trailheads have been erased. You can still pull off the road and park at both the upper and lower trailheads, but all signage and the kiosk have been removed. Much of the large upper trailhead parking has been reclaimed and all the fire rings have been removed and erased. In other words there is nothing left to identify the trailheads other than a wide spot in the highway.

I'll bet most of the canyons won't require a permit, but the Black Hole, maybe it will. I agree (and hope) the government red tape will end up being similar to Escalante (the less the better). I do hate how bad the roads end up being maintained by the government though.

FYI - all references to the Black Hole hike and trailheads have been erased. You can still pull off the road and park at both the upper and lower trailheads, but all signage and the kiosk have been removed. Much of the large upper trailhead parking has been reclaimed and all the fire rings have been removed and erased. In other words there is nothing left to identify the trailheads other than a wide spot in the highway.
    Huh? Why?

Poor roads are a way of limiting access. My experience with most national parks and monuments is they attempt to herd 90% of the population into 10% of the area as it makes things much easier and cheaper to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Huh? Why?
    Cuts down on SAR callouts, among other things.

FYI - all references to the Black Hole hike and trailheads have been erased.
    I assume that the sign that says "Do Not Hike the Black Hole" is still there?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

The sign of death halfway down the approach canyon is still there.

I'd be curious to know if removing the trailheads cut down on SAR. I'd almost be willing to bet they would increase SAR from hikers entering the wrong drainage and getting cliffed out.

Poor roads are a way of limiting access. My experience with most national parks and monuments is they attempt to herd 90% of the population into 10% of the area as it makes things much easier and cheaper to manage.
    Then they gripe about over-use and over-crowding.