Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Control, Knife Control or Car Control?

Gun Control, Knife Control or Car Control?

The only gun used was the one to take down the perpetrator...

One of the few articles that didn't call this a "shooting"

"Of the 11 injured victims, four went to the hospital with cut and stab wounds and another four went with impact injuries from a car."

https://news.vice.com/story/active-shooter-on-ohio-state-campus

Name:  15202744_10209806580672961_1130626856497454733_n.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  48.1 KB

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's equally odd the amount of demands from the Left for Trump to take some kind of action, being a month away from the Whitehouse. I guess they don't have much faith in the current President to take any action.

5. Likes dakotabelliston, qedcook, DiscGo liked this post
    People without guns trying to confiscate guns.... 🤔

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Can you actually use a butcher knife to shoot someone?

According to main stream media the answer is 'YES', we were just lucky it was not a full auto butcher knife.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Shameless pandering without calling attention to the facts. C'mon Kaine, did you even bother to read the entire report?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Name:  BUYCQ_tCAAA0JYk.jpg-large.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  27.6 KB

Thankfully the media got it wrong and the perp didn't have a gun. Instead of 11 injuries it very well could mean 11 (or more) fatalities.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Thankfully the media got it wrong and the perp didn't have a gun. Instead of 11 injuries it very well could mean 11 (or more) fatalities.
    Wow! I bet the 87 people killed in the Nice France attack by the same method the Ohio State perpetrator used will be happy to hear that.

I'd say the lack of planning and poor execution by the Ohio State perpetrator kept injuries down and had very little to do with his choice of weapons.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Wow! I bet the 87 people killed in the Nice France attack by the same method the Ohio State perpetrator used will be happy to hear that.

I'd say the lack of planning and poor execution by the Ohio State perpetrator kept injuries down and had very little to do with his choice of weapons.

YMMV
    I think you'd still have to admit that even an incompetent terrorist has a better chance of creating mayhem with a gun, than without one. Doesn't mean they can't do terrible things with other weapons, but a gun makes things a lot easier.

I own a few guns and like to go out and shoot occasionally, and am not really a gun control advocate. Mainly because I don't think they'd do any good at this point, even if the gun lobby wasn't so strong. The cat is out of the bag. We love guns and that isn't going to change anytime soon. But we should be honest with ourselves and admit that our love of guns is a contributing factor to thousands of deaths every year. Utopia doesn't exist and it is one of the consequences of the type of freedom we have here.

I disagree, as I believe choice of weapon is not nearly as important as proper planning and execution. I think the terrorists in Nice France and 9-11 proved that. Both incidents had a high body count and will cause much more disruption than any gun has. The amount of time and money now spent on airport security is staggering. We will now be spending similar amounts of time and money erecting barriers so vehicles can not be driven where large crowd's of pedestrian congregate. By comparison proving security against attacks by firearms is simple and cheap. All that is required is to allow Constitutional Carry and security is provided with minimal strain on resources.

It's like ISIS is trying to commit acts of terror without guns just to prove a point against the Gun Control folks.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    But we should be honest with ourselves and admit that our love of guns is a contributing factor to thousands of deaths every year.
    Sure but, if you look up the numbers on the CDC's website (which I have done but, don't have time to provide the links right now), if you take out suicide deaths, annual deaths by firearm (murder and accidental) and deaths from alcohol related incidents (drunk driving fatalities and just stupid acts from being drunk) are about the same. Don't get me wrong, 1 death by firearm is tragic but, it all needs to be put into perspective.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    if you take out suicide deaths,
    Another interesting fact proven by Australia is the lack of firearms does not curb the suicide rate, it just changes the choice of method. Once firearms were banned in Australia the suicide by firearms numbers dropped substantially, but suicide by hanging numbers skyrocketed, with the end result being the overall suicide numbers remaining consistent before and after the firearms ban.

If your intention is to actually save lives your time and energy would be much better spent working on the US obesity problem, or any number of other social problems.

20. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Another interesting fact proven by Australia is the lack of firearms does not curb the suicide rate, it just changes the choice of method. Once firearms were banned in Australia the suicide by firearms numbers dropped substantially, but suicide by hanging numbers skyrocketed, with the end result being the overall suicide numbers remaining consistent.
    Exactly. I've read the same reports.
    Are we there yet?

Another interesting fact proven by Australia is the lack of firearms does not curb the suicide rate, it just changes the choice of method. Once firearms were banned in Australia the suicide by firearms numbers dropped substantially, but suicide by hanging numbers skyrocketed, with the end result being the overall suicide numbers remaining consistent before and after the firearms ban.

If your intention is to actually save lives your time and energy would be much better spent working on the US obesity problem, or any number of other social problems.
    Australia is a shining example of how removing guns from the equation isn't going to solve anything.

Sure, you've decreased the number of gun related deaths, but at the same time you've opened the door to a world of other atrocities.

Sometimes it's better to stick with the devil you know.

Sure but, if you look up the numbers on the CDC's website (which I have done but, don't have time to provide the links right now), if you take out suicide deaths, annual deaths by firearm (murder and accidental) and deaths from alcohol related incidents (drunk driving fatalities and just stupid acts from being drunk) are about the same. Don't get me wrong, 1 death by firearm is tragic but, it all needs to be put into perspective.
    That was kind of the point I was trying to make. As a free society we make choices on what we allow, but there's also consequences. Enact prohibition and you cut down on dui's, but give rise to Al Capone. Have very few gun controls and people can enjoy them occasionally protect themselves, but you'll have more shootings. We as a society just get to decide which route we go.

The liberal mainstream media.

I agree, any death by gun whether it is accidental, self defense, or suicide, counts to a certain tally of "Gun Violence". But death by automobile if it's accidentally hitting somebody, or driving drunk off the bridge, or having a heart attack while driving and then crashing does not count on the "Automobile Violence" list.