Thread: Leprechaun Canyon SAR on 11/6/16

Blog Entries

Leprechaun Canyon SAR on 11/6/16

This post comes from Steve Howe's (a guide from what I can gather) public Facebook page, which will not hit the news.

Please double-check you are at the right canyon drop-in point, especially for the North Wash area.

Name:  Leprechaun SAR.JPG
Views: 1329
Size:  202.4 KB
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes darhawk liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

not the whole story

Story as told from a friend who drove down to make sure everyone was ok: 4 people were canyoneering Leprechaun on Saturday (2 experienced and 2 newbies). They dropped into Middle when they were expecting to drop into West. Although they had headlamps they ran out of light and made the call to stay the night and come out in the light. Wives were worried, so called SAR around 1am. Two friends (one seen in the picture here) decided to drive down and make sure they got out ok. One of the 4 hand-lined out just before Belfast Blvd and the other 3 finished the canyon. The chopper was called off and no other SAR members were on the ground. They were all safe back at their car by 11:00am, a little tired, but no worse for the wear.

5. Likes Stray, ratagonia, Iceaxe liked this post
    Steve's factually incorrect story came from a 5 minute conversation. His facebook account will not allow non friends to comment. His erroneous facebook post seemed like he was promoting himself as a guide.

As one of the "rescuers", I was there only because the wives panicked. They called us, they called SAR (ignoring the requirement of waiting 24 hours).

They had food, water, and headlamps. They choose to spend the night and not chance it in the dark, as one of the canyoneers was large framed. All but the large canyoneer walked out of the bottom of the canyon the next morning. The large canyoneer was helped out the side by us. He was in no way distressed or "haggard."

I was surprised at how good spirits everyone was in.

Also the SAR helicopter has to stay until you drive away for liability reasons.

Lessons:
    - If you canyoneer enough, you can expect to spend a night in a canyon (they did)
    - Let your backup know, you might end up spending the night (they did).
    - Go with a group large enough to keep warm (they did).

I really don't know how to keep wives and mothers from panicking.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

7. Likes ratagonia, Iceaxe, jman liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post

Bring them along.

They called us, they called SAR (ignoring the requirement of waiting 24 hours).
    I have no clue where you are getting the 24 hour time from, but as someone who has spent a November night in a canyon wearing nothing but shorts and t-shirt I would hate it if my check in waited 24 hours to call. That might work great in the rap-n-swim kiddie canyons like Zion, but in the seldom visited and remote canyons I'm not a fan. Something else to consider is it often takes SAR 6 to 8 hours to organize and reach the search area of some of the remote canyons.

I give my check in a specific time to call if they have not heard from me. I've done enough canyons I know the hour I'll be in trouble if folks have not heard from me. I expect my check in to call the minute the time is struck, My only warning to someone new to the outdoors is to make sure your check in time leaves plenty of time for the normal problems that crop up.

YMMV

10. Likes whansen, Stray liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

I give my check in a specific time to call if they have not heard from me. I've done enough canyons I know the hour I'll be in trouble if folks have not heard from me. I expect my check in to call the minute the time is struck, My only warning to someone new to the outdoors is to make sure your check in time leaves plenty of time for the normal problems that crop up.

YMMV
    This is probably the hardest call to make. When do you want SAR called? What is a "normal problem?"

Normally, we check in between 8 pm and 11 pm.

This time, the sheriff's office deployed an officer to check if there car was in the Leprechaun parking lot. It was.

With a popular canyon like Leprechaun, there were people running through all forks long before the helicopter showed up. Everyone in the group was walking out as the chopper showed up.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Bring them along.

We have tried that, it only makes them call faster

This is probably the hardest call to make. When do you want SAR called? What is a "normal problem?"
    It totally depends on the canyon, area and experience. And I agree it can be a difficult decision for noobs. I'm just saying an arbitrary time like 24 hours is no better or worse then any other arbitrary time.

But me personally, considering my God like canyoneering skills, with any of the Irish canyons if my check in hasn't heard from me by midnight my ass is in a major jam. With a midnight call SAR will not reach you until 10:00 a.m. at the absolute earliest, and if you have a major problem (broken leg?) you're not getting out until early afternoon in best case.

Other canyons get a different time frame, it just depends on numerous things. If I'm solo I narrow up my check in times as I don't want to deal with a major problem alone. If I'm with a large group I expand my check in as most large groups I hang with are capable of self rescue, in fact many of my partners are or have been on SAR teams.

YMMV

14. Likes Stray liked this post
    I don't mean to be overly critical, but I don't understand why people are dropping into the wrong canyons in the area. It seems to have happened quite a bit. The navigation is very easy in the general vicinity since you just have to count drainages.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I don't mean to be overly critical, but I don't understand why people are dropping into the wrong canyons in the area. It seems to have happened quite a bit. The navigation is very easy in the general vicinity since you just have to count drainages.
    I've
    been there literally dozens of times, and I still find it confusing.

Tom

Funny thing about sandstone - much of it looks very similar. Ditto with trees. Which is why some of our outdoorsy adventures takes more care and attention, and a little luck as well. One time wife and I got off to a late start on the east side of the Sierras (old Jeep broke down) - we hiked towards our goal (10+ miles, a hot spring) - got very close - but finally decided to camp (it was way dark). Next morning we came to the "fork in the road". We both agreed that had we hiked on in the dark we would have missed our intended turn. On another hike I was busy taking the wrong turn despite having been briefed by the ranger - until wifey called me on it. I think that if you (dear reader) ain't ever taken a wrong turn - you are overdue.

18. Likes jman, ratagonia liked this post
    Steve's factually incorrect story came from a 5 minute conversation. His facebook account will not allow non friends to comment. His erroneous facebook post seemed like he was promoting himself as a guide.

As one of the "rescuers", I was there only because the wives panicked. They called us, they called SAR (ignoring the requirement of waiting 24 hours).

They had food, water, and headlamps. They choose to spend the night and not chance it in the dark, as one of the canyoneers was large framed. All but the large canyoneer walked out of the bottom of the canyon the next morning. The large canyoneer was helped out the side by us. He was in no way distressed or "haggard."

I was surprised at how good spirits everyone was in.

Also the SAR helicopter has to stay until you drive away for liability reasons.

Lessons:
    - If you canyoneer enough, you can expect to spend a night in a canyon (they did)
    - Let your backup know, you might end up spending the night (they did).
    - Go with a group large enough to keep warm (they did).

Good On ya for heading on down, and thanks for the reality check.

I like having my 'panic time' managed by a canyoneer, who knows the way things go.

Tom

Something I've noticed.... some people are born with an excellent sense of direction, and some are not. Some people are born singers, and some can't hit a note. Some people can throw a 90 mph fast ball, and some can't. It's just the way it is...

21. Likes moab mark liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Something I've noticed.... some people are born with an excellent sense of direction, and some are not. Some people are born singers, and some can't hit a note. Some people can throw a 90 mph fast ball, and some can't. It's just the way it is...
    While this is true, I think slot canyons are a little different ballgame. I have been hiking and backpacking for almost 25 years and never once felt the need to look at a GPS. But I have used it quite a bit since I began canyoneering to verify drop in points.

23. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries

Leprechaun Canyon SAR on 11/6/16

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    While this is true, I think slot canyons are a little different ballgame. I have been hiking and backpacking for almost 25 years and never once felt the need to look at a GPS. But I have used it quite a bit since I began canyoneering to verify drop in points.
    Perhaps that innate feeling of "if this is the wrong canyon, I'm screwed!" is what inspires the GPS??

In canyoneering the penalty points are much much higher if you enter the wrong drainage, canyon, etc. Reason is, once you pull your ropes, you are committed.

With hiking, if you take a wrong junction or climb the wrong peak, for the most part, you aren't screwed. You can go down the mountain, travel a few (or more) extra miles, bush whack until you are safe. The margins are much higher when it comes to hiking or backpacking and everything turning out okay.

/preachingtothechoir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

25. Likes Rob L, moab mark, russellben liked this post