Thread: Stuck Rope in SGR Slot

Stuck Rope in SGR Slot

2 friends and I went and ran SGR Slot outside moab last Sunday (11/13/2016). The third rappel is 75 feet into a large silo. We elected to stem out about 15 feet past a section of narrows that looked difficult to rappel down to where the canyon widened out. On the way down, my buddy noticed a rope stuck around a chockstone about halfway down the rappel. He had already passed the chockstone, so I rappelled down onto the chockstone to unstick the rope. It became obvious that when pulling the rope, the tail end had fallen on the opposite side of the chockstone, becoming wedged and forcing the previous party to cut their rope. We discussed how to prevent befalling the same fate, and elected to pull the rope from a certain spot, where we felt we could pull in such a way that it would prevent the rope from getting caught on the chockstone. We were wrong. Our rope did exactly the same thing as the previous party's, and after a short attempt at pulling it down, we had to cut the rope. Thankfully we had the previous party's rope and were able to complete the canyon using that as a pullcord, however if we were without that rope we would have had to bail out of the canyon at some point and endure complicated navigation back to our vehicle.

SO...if you're going to run SGR Slot, be warned on the 3rd rappel. Some ingenuity would be required to prevent the rope from getting stuck on that chockstone.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We almost had the same problem. My memory is vague but seems like we tossed the pull side way down canyon and pulled from there. Yes it is a perfect spot to stick a rope.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Do either of you happen to have a picture of the rope eating chokestone? Just to be clear the chokestone is below the normal rappel anchor and when you pull your rope the tail falls behind the rope eating chokestone and becomes stuck?

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75665

No do not have a picture. I talked to Tad to help me remember. We rigged off the tree and tossed the pull way down canyon and did not have a problem. If you pull from where you land your rope will drop over the chokestone. As i recall if you go off small arches the rappel starts on an angle that lands you on the chockstone, you then step off it and rappel down the slot. If you go off small arches you would never get your rope back.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Iceaxe, I don't have a picture of the chockstone, but yes essentially that's thats the idea. You have the rope you're pulling on coming off one side of the chockstone and the tail of the rope hanging off the other side. I can only assume the rope got stuck between the wall and chockstone and couldn't pull