Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utah Basketball--Runnin' Utes 2016-17

Utah Basketball--Runnin' Utes 2016-17

It was a great game and fantastic atmosphere. Wish Kuzma would have passed the ball inside, instead of shooting a turnaround jump shot from 3 point land. What was he thinking?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think the fouling by the Bruins rattled them and threw off their plan. Larry said after the game that the plan was to feed Collette the ball but that didn't happen. Same thing with throwing the ball the length of the court...left me scratching my head.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Name:  Jimmer.JPG
Views: 511
Size:  65.0 KB

The cult of Jimmer Fredette was never embraced by the NBA. In China, each launch from beyond the arc gains a believer.

The high-scoring college talent out of BYU, whose polarizing game yo-yo’ed him between the NBA to the D-League since being a first-round pick in 2011, has found a niche in the Chinese Basketball Association as himself: an unrepentant bomber.

The 27-year-old Fredette, whose love of the 3-pointer and aversion to defense always made him seem more useful in video games than real games, is putting up video-game numbers. He’s averaging 37.3 points a game, the best in the league. (Next up? Former Providence star and Nets flameout MarShon Brooks.)

Fredette is shooting 49 percent from the floor, 41 percent from 3 and an unreal 93 percent from the free-throw line — well ahead of the all-time NBA free-throw mark, which volleys between Steve Nash and Stephen Curry at just over 90 percent. The 6-foot-2 guard is also chipping in 8.4 rebounds and 4.7 assists for the Shanghai Sharks, who are in first place at 24-4.

The fans have swooned over Fredette, whom they have nicknamed “Lonely God” and “Loneliness Master,” according to his wife, Whitney. Loneliness is an honorable trait in China, Whitney says — it shows you’re “invincible.”

The upstate New York native, who quickly stepped in and out of a Knicks jersey in last season’s disgrace, took over the Chinese All-Star competition last week. First, Fredette took home the 3-point crown, sinking his last seven shots.

Then he put on a 32-point show in the All-Star game, which featured a Fredette dunk and an ensuing hug from a shocked Stephon Marbury, who didn’t know that was possible (and is scoring a mere 22.4 points per game, by comparison).

The only blip has come in the virtual world. Fredette’s Twitter account was hacked Sunday, leaving fans on edge until he was forced to clarify he’s not quitting basketball.

The CBA playoffs begin Feb. 19. When the Sharks are finished playing, it will be interesting to see whether any NBA team has taken notice of China’s new deity.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/16/jimmer-...-god-in-china/

But why is this in the Runnin' Utes thread?

FWIW I think Fredette's inability to play D is the kiss of death for him as far as the NBA is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    But why is this in the Runnin' Utes thread?
    I just figured you could use a good laugh on a Tuesday afternoon...

Seriously, didn't you get a kick out of him being called "Lonely God" and "Loneliness Master"?

I think it's hilarious.

Why he is still making news is beyond me.

A win on the road without Collette...that's gotta be a huge confidence builder.

Washington's B-ball team sux this year.

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Huge game against the Ducks Thursday.

The Runnin' Utes are playing the best basketball of the year right now.

Hopefully Collette is cleared to play by then.

Huntsman Center is gonna be rockin. Can't wait.

Utes: 81
    Ducks: 78

15. Likes accadacca liked this post
    The Ducks are pretty good this year. Their only losses coming to Georgetown and #5 Baylor. They only lost to the Hoyas by a few, but Baylor kicked the shit out of em...by almost 20 points.

Should be a tough game as the Huntsman center is hostile territory, but the Ducks will probably prevail.

Utes 56
    Oregon 63

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    The Ducks are pretty good this year. Their only losses coming to Georgetown and #5 Baylor. They only lost to the Hoyas by a few, but Baylor kicked the shit out of em...by almost 20 points.

Should be a tough game as the Huntsman center is hostile territory, but the Ducks will probably prevail.

Utes 56
    Oregon 63
    I think it will be much more high scoring. I doubt they hold the Utes to 56. I see the game going into the 70-80s.

18. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Well deserved.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  57.8 KB

SALT LAKE CITY — Andre Miller, who led Utah to the 1998 NCAA championship game, will be inducted into the Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Hall of Fame. The ceremony will take place in Las Vegas during the conference tournament on March 10 at T-Mobile Arena.

Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak said the news is awesome. Miller played 17 seasons in the NBA, finishing with 16,278 points and 8,524 assists.

“That’s great. I’ll be there and hopefully I get to present him with the award,” added Krystkowiak, who has done so for Utah’s previous honorees. “It’s very fitting. What a great guy. I’ve gotten to know him so well, even here as of late.

“He bought a home in San Diego near our home and I love the guy,” Krystkowiak continued. “I think he’s the epitome of it and really into it — helps us with recruiting and he’s a Utah man.”

Each year, the Pac-12 Hall of Honor recognizes one former player or coach from every school. Besides Miller and Mike Montgomery (Stanford), who was Krystkowiak’s college coach at Montana, the 16th annual class includes: Bob Elliott (Arizona), Tarence Wheeler (Arizona State), Jerome Randle (California), Chauncey Billups (Colorado), Stu Jackson (Oregon), Ray Blume (Oregon State), David Greenwood (UCLA), Ralph Vaughn (USC), Quincy Pondexter (Washington) and Carlos Daniel (Washington State).

Utah’s previous inductees include Arnie Ferrin (2012), Keith Van Horn (2013), Billy McGill (2014), Danny Vranes (2015) and Vern Gardner (2016).

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-of-Honor.html

20. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Still unknown if David Collette and Dillon Brooks will play tonight.

If Collette doesn't play, I think Bouche will be very difficult to defend and will score a bunch of points in the paint.

Epic flop from Oregon last night is going viral all over. just google "Oregon Flop"

23. Likes rockgremlin, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    The flop was absolutely hilarious!

The crowd chanting "flopper" every time he got the ball after that was hilarious as well.

Devin Daniels amazes me every game. This kid is phenomenal. Good to see Van Dyke step up and make a difference. The refs seem to have it out for Collette, he can't seem to catch a break. Talk about ticky tack fouls.

Fun game, fun crowd...just too bad the Utes couldn't make the shots needed at the end of the game.

Utes are looking a little sluggish today. Hope they wake up in the 2nd half.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

26. Likes gholt liked this post
    Nice bounce back win.