Thread: Canadians looking for Canyoneering Partners Nov 10th - 21st

Canadians looking for Canyoneering Partners Nov 10th - 21st

Hi everyone,

Just found your forum and I'm hoping to find some people to do some canyoneering with. Myself and my cousin are coming down from Canada to explore the awesome wilderness in southern Utah and have wanted to get into canyoneering for years. We will probably take a quick guided course or two at the start of our trip but after that we would love to be able to join up with some locals so that we can do some of the more interesting canyons safely,

We are both in our late 20s, a massage therapist and a forest fire fighter, quite fit and with some ropes and climbing skills but no canyon experience. We will be driving around having adventures with a plan to at least check out Moab and Zion, so if you have a cool place we should see we are happy to come to you (and buy you some beers for your trouble).

Hopefully we get to meet some of you awesome sounding people but if not we'll just ride our mountain bikes and have a great time anyway

I'll check the forum but e-mail is better for me: rosenbergsb at gmail dot com
    -Sam

2. Likes jman, Taylor, dakotabelliston liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Welcome! I saw you post in the Canyoneering section for the Moab trip this week. Hopefully you can make it!

The best way to learn is with other people. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

5. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    What part of Canada are you from?

British Columbia (Canada) has a growing community of canyoneers and Squamish is a world class canyoning destination. More info: http://ropewiki.com/British_Columbia
    To get out with the locals in British Columbia the best way is with the vancouver Canyoneers facebook group. http://www.facebook.com/groups/485642308115596
    There is also another group focused in canyoning in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, etc.): https://www.facebook.com/groups/pnwcanyoning/

Please be aware that some of the techniques you will learn in Utah are good for "dry" canyons but may be dangerous for canyons with flowing water, called Class C, which are the typical type of canyons you will find in Canada and Pacific Northwest. Things like throwing the rope bag, going double rope, using fiddlestick etc. are VERY DANGEROUS in class C canyons. More info at: http://ropewiki.com/Swift_water

-Luca

Hey Jman, ya, we are going to hustle south and come hang out it Moab, can't wait

And Luca, thanks for the advice, I actually just stumbled across those resources myself last night. We are from Vancouver so that is practically our backyard and next summer I'll definitely look people up here to get out with. I'm getting the feeling a lot of people do dumb things in canyons just based on the number of people warning me about safety, so we have already decided not to attempt anything solo and will maybe find some guides if need be.

8. Likes jman liked this post
    Trying to meet up with you guys. Coming out from Colorado on Saturday Nov. 12 and spending the week. Call or text me at 719.321.5706.
    Bill Parmenter

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Parmenter View Post
    Trying to meet up with you guys. Coming out from Colorado on Saturday Nov. 12 and spending the week. Call or text me at 719.321.5706. Bill Parmenter
    Top .....................