Thread: Canyonlands, Mineral Bottom and Potash Mines

Canyonlands, Mineral Bottom and Potash Mines

Took a 3 day trip to the Canyonlands National Park area, Moab and Monument Valley. Here is day 1:

2. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's a nice video, Todd, thanks!. The aerial shots were excellent! I drove the same road in 2013 to research an airstrip called Mineral Canyon. I took it slowly, because I am not used to driving on such roads.

There are some great camp spots all along the river whether by car or boat or canoe, away from artificial light that would allow good views of the night sky.

When I was there (2013), a group of young parachutists were BASE jumping off the headland at the top of the road (at the start of your video), and landing adjacent to the river down in the canyon. Whereupon they would re-pack and a driver would take them back to the top!

Down at the bottom, a little further upstream on the Green River, there is an airstrip, called Mineral Canyon that I wanted to fly into, in May 2016 (but high winds prevented me). I'm going to have another attempt in April 2017.

Rob

Nice work!! Especially liked the potash pools.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

A buddy and me drove the White Rim a few years ago (maybe 15 years?) and did a bunch of exploring in the Mineral Bottom area. We found a mine off one of the side roads that didn't look to have had many visitors. Once inside we saw an old wooden door off to one side with the word, "Explosives" painted on it. Curiosity had the better of us and we pried the door open. Inside the small carved out room were several crates labeled "Dynamite". Of course we didn't dare touch it and got out of there. We marked the location on a map and, a couple of days later after getting back into Moab, went to the local BLM office where my buddies uncle worked and showed him the location of the mine.
    Are we there yet?

Yeah, stuff like that still exists, surprisingly. Just last year I did a little snooping around in the San Rafael Swell just west of the entrance to the Upper Black Box on Muddy Creek and found an old wooden crate tucked underneath a ledge just outside the entrance to an old uranium mine. The crate still had half a dozen sticks of dynamite in it, although they had severely deteriorated.