Thread: Dragonfly Canyon

Dragonfly Canyon

For our second incursion of the weekend into the Canyonlands region, the group did a shorter ride and longer hike than we'd done the previous day to the Harvest Scene. The objective this time was Dragonfly Canyon, where we visited several caves/alcoves and the fabulous Dragonfly pictograph panel. We parked the bikes and hiked quite a distance before actually dropping into the canyon. Once in the watercourse it was fairly easy hiking, though we encountered many full pools of water along the way.

Parking spot

Hiking into the canyon

Sundog

Wild burros

Dragonfly Canyon

One of many pools in the canyon

The first point of interest that we visited was a pair of alcoves that held some granaries and rock art. The alcove on the left contained many slab-lined granaries, along with some inscriptions and grinding stones. The right alcove revealed a small incised glyph on a ground-smooth surface on the ceiling. There were a few other similar prepared surfaces but with no glyphs on them. A couple more grinding stones were present in the second alcove.

Two alcoves that each hold something special

Ooh, a pretty rock!

E. Musselman, 10-24-??

Grinding stone

Slab-lined granary

Fingerprint details in the mortar

Slab-lined granary

Alan in the second alcove

Grinding stone

View out the alcove

Incised figure

After leaving the twin alcoves, we stayed high and contoured above the bottom of the canyon, which allowed us to spot another cave/alcove. We wouldn't have seen it from the main watercourse of Dragonfly Canyon. This one required some climbing to access it, made easier by earlier sheepherders who had stacked dead trees against the cliff. Both inside and outside the alcove were inscriptions from early sheepherders, along with yet more grinding stones left by the Fremont or perhaps earlier cultures. Quite unusual was, among signed and dated inscriptions, the words "LOOK OUT" inscribed faintly among the other writings.

Another alcove in the distance

Climbing into the alcove

P. Moynier 1904

Climbing into the alcove

Grinding stone

H. Moynier 1937

Joe Lavigne 1910 (with "LOOK OUT" above)

A. Carnier 1910

Eddyjo Ekker 1941 28 August

J. Garnier 1910

Along the way to our final planned stop I spotted an unusual petroglyph on a boulder in the bottom of the canyon. It consisted of a long horizontal line with two curving diagonal lines, one of which had a couple of small bisecting lines. A map, perhaps? On the final stretch toward the Dragonfly panel I found a Canon polarizer and a fairly large four-point deer antler, both of which I packed out of the canyon. I thoroughly enjoyed my second visit to the Dragonfly panel. Once again, I spent more time admiring the rock art than just taking photos of it. The tiny details still amazed me, however.

Unusual petroglyph on a boulder in the watercourse

Dragonfly panel

Dragonflies

Dragonfly and another figure

Holding a tiny animal figure

Whispering weiner dog

Antennae figure

Insect

Rabbit

Dragonfly and another tiny figure

Slab-lined granaries

During the long hike out of the canyon the group spotted at least a couple of other spots that would be worthy of exploration. We didn't have time to check them out on this trip, but they're on my to-do list for future explorations.

Hiking out of the canyon

Another alcove that we had to pass up

Seep below a large overhang

My shadow on the exit hike

Photo Gallery: Dragonfly Canyon
    Blog | FB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement