Thread: Canyonlands

Canyonlands

I know this isn't necessarily canyoneering related, but I would assume some people on here have been there and know me and may help out.

I actually have never been to Canyonlands any my son has a 4 day break from college this weekend. We are going to leave early and head up there until Sunday.

I've researched a little and understand the 3 different sections. We have an offroad capable 4 runner and camp remotely for all 4 days if needed.

Just curious if anyone has any input on some hikes, sites, lookouts, ruins and the such that we should have on our must do list. It may be a while before we get back over that way.

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Canyonlands suggestions

If in the Needles district proper in the park, the Peekaboo-Lost canyon and Squaw Canyon loops are not to be missed. Magnificent hiking on slickrock, crossing fins etc. That's about 2 days and camping in the park or outside. Upper Salt Creek starts just south of Needles district and enters it. Camp at Cathedral Butte. Not heavily traveled but loaded with ruins and rock art. Having 2 nights in there would allow a more leisurely trip.

If your vehicle and you are really into it, The Maze District is a must see but rough access. Harvest Scene hike is into spectacular rock art.
    Camping a few night between Maze and the Horseshoe Canyon park outlier would put you in hiking distance of the Great Gallery, arguably one of the very best rock art sites in the US, and also give you great access to some fun canyons like Northeast Spur Fork and a few others very close together.

Some of my favorites

George

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    I know this isn't necessarily canyoneering related, but I would assume some people on here have been there and know me and may help out.

I actually have never been to Canyonlands any my son has a 4 day break from college this weekend. We are going to leave early and head up there until Sunday.

I've researched a little and understand the 3 different sections. We have an offroad capable 4 runner and camp remotely for all 4 days if needed.

Just curious if anyone has any input on some hikes, sites, lookouts, ruins and the such that we should have on our must do list. It may be a while before we get back over that way.

Thanks in advance

4. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    If your going to the needles side do the beef basin elephant Hill loop. Stop and hike the joint trail. You can explore all over in there. Kind of like the fiery furnace. Go see the confluence while there also. You can probably get gas at the outpost. You can call to make sure. Then if you want to head onto Moab take the Lockhart Basin trail up to Moab.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I personally think the Needles side in a Jeep is better then the Maze side. If you could pull a campsite on White Rim that is a must do. Doubt you can draw one but would definitely worth it. Take 2 days to go around.

Needles District with Chessler Park & the Joint Trail probably our favorite as well. Highly photogenic.
    Name:  Chessler Park Canyonlands C.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  99.3 KB

In lieu of the Needles campground I've just driven down Lockhart Road a bit and camped, but it has been a while so hopefully free range camping still exists there.

Chesler Park, Joint Trail, and Druid Arch can all be hiked from Squaw Flats or from the car park near the base of Elephant Hill. From Squaw Flats you could hike east to Peekaboo Springs or from where ever the Salt Creek carpark is these days, you could trudge to Paul Bunyan's Potty (that hike is on the sandy side).

Up on the Island of the Sky, consider a ride out to the Gemini Bridges. There are other arches and rock art in the area as well. The Long Canyon road or the Shafer Trail will get you off the asphalt and offer a way less traveled back towards Moab.

9. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Did you go?

Ya. We spent Thursday at Island in the sky. Friday, Sat, Sun we spent in the Needles section. Went past Elephant Hill to Devils kitchen, hiked back into Cheslar Park, went to the overlook and confluence. Pretty leisurely 4 days, nothing too serious. I just havn't had any time to put together some pics yet. Thanks for the help.

Prob go back again to some other areas and then plan a 4-5 day trip into the Maze district

12. Likes moab mark, dakotabelliston liked this post