Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zion National Park May Start Limiting Number of Visitors

Zion National Park May Start Limiting Number of Visitors

Zion National Park's continuing popularity has sparked discussions of limiting the number of visitors.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports (http://bit.ly/2eck26A) that park officials are planning several public meetings to discuss how to combat overwhelmed facilities and increased land erosion.

Zion is expecting a record 4 million visitors this year.

Among officials' proposals is to cap the number of daily visitors through a reservation system instead of a first-come first-served basis.

Park spokeswoman Aly Baltrus says they are accepting feedback from the public.

People can submit comments and view strategies that have been proposed at the National Park Service's website.

The park is aiming to have a final plan by fall 2018.

———

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune, http://www.sltrib.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Was there today and every small patch of dirt, along the road, had a car parked on it, people everywhere.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

4. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    It's a real problem. It's become a redrock version of Disneyland. I USED to enjoy going there, but now I just cringe.

I used to visit Zion about twice a month. But it's been 2 years since I was last there. Too many people and too many rules and regulations these days for my taste.

Blog Entries

I agree that something needs to be done with crowd control.

That being said, I have been there 4x this year and as long as we had a permit, we were great.

Parking wasn't an issue if you were in the park by 8am. The only line we had to wait in for was for the shuttle which was about a 15min wait at the VC going UP canyon. Once you were up the canyon and wanted to go higher or back down - we didn't once have to wait for a shuttle in either direction.

Angels landing from Scouts Lookout sucked though. But you go to that with low expectations then you aren't as angry at everyone... :P

We were the only ones in Keyhole and Pinecreek, Mystery, Behunin, Echo, Kolob, and Spry. Now, the Subway was a different story, but there is ALWAYS people in there, so again, go in with lowered expectations and the trip turns out great.

Even dinner in town was no longer than a 20min wait.

Sure, I wish it was less crowded but we all know that is NEVER going to happen.

So you plan accordingly and plan well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

8. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    I've been to Zion about 5 times this year. I haven't had any trouble finding parking, waiting on shuttles, or finding a place to eat. With that being said they don't have enough parking & ice heard discussion on erosion due to visitors wandering off trail.

My worry is even more restrictions to a already difficult permit system for canyoneers. Once I cross off the majority of Zion canyons on my list my plan is to start venturing to other areas.... that is if I can stay away from the incredible place.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was last in Zion NP in May 2016. I'm a regular visitor (from Britland) but I was astounded by the huge numbers of visitors there at that time of year (I normally visit in November). I struggled to find a parking space.

As an "alien" (as the Americans like to call visitors), I last saw this at Grand Canyon about 8 years ago...and I learned then to time my visits to the "off-season", and to head for the off-the-tourist-map places. Fortunately, there are many of those in the SW of the US.

Perhaps all the NPs are now so popular that at any warm time, the coachloads of tourists will envelop the place.

Rob

ps When travelling to Utah, I do consider myself a visitor, but not a tourist.

Hopefully enough of the people that keep whining about too many people will just stop going there then. I go there 40 to 50 times a year, yes there is a lot of people, yes its a little annoying sometimes, but so what. It's an awesome place and the tourists are only in the touristy places. Where I like to go they aren't. So I hope they don't put any more restrictions on entrance or permits or anything. Raise the entrance fee a little bit if anything. Those of us that go a lot go early or have passes so it wont really affect the ones that use the park alot.

12. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    I go there 40 to 50 times a year.
    Geez! And my coworkers think that my 4 or 5 times there a year is a lot...

You definitely get the cake on that one. I'll bet Tom doesn't even go there quite that often in a year...at least anymore...

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

14. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    I'm sure he does. He seems to be getting out quite a bit lately actually. It's pretty easy when it's only 40 min from your house. During the summer you can get off work at 4 and still get there a get a canyon in the evening. Sometimes you need some headlights, but that isn't a big deal.

I always see people panicking when it starts getting dark. If everyone would just purposely do one in the dark then they'd realize it doesn't really matter. You are going down, and everything that you need to deal with is right in front of you. Not as scenic by any means, but still a lot of fun.

We still talk about our midnight run through keyhole and pine creek. Existing down the boulder field just as the sun comes up. And no one else around. We had the whole park and canyons to ourselves

16. Likes Taylor, dakotabelliston, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    So when they mention erosion...do we know specifically which area(s) or is it meant as a whole? Just curious.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

18. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    In the larger picture, why do we want open borders? If our population goes from 300 million to 400 or 500 in next 50 years, where do our children go? Where do we go 10 years from now?

they should let me start filming with my drone inside the park. If it annoys people like they suggest it would, then the visitor numbers decline, I get great footage, it's a win win situation.

21. Likes dakotabelliston, Iceaxe liked this post
    As attendance limited and other regulations come into play, the parks become less accessible to lower socio-economic folks (who have less time off and less flexibility). Which is elitist IMO. But bureaucracies like rules - and limits - so expect it to happen at some point.

P.S. I work for a bureaucracy - so I see how rules creep up in number.

23. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    It is way too crowded. I remember visiting there twice in the 1980's and it was very enjoyable and not crowded. Camped there with no reservation in the summer time, hardly anyone on the trails, hike up Angels Landing both times. I took my wife there this summer and was shocked. We camped outside the park, and got up before sunrise to catch the first shuttle bus in at 6am, but there were so many people in line, we had to wait for the second shuttle at 6:20am. Got off at the stop for Angels Landing and started hiking with everybody else. By the time we got up to the saddle (where the bathroom is), it was so crowded it was like waiting in line at Disney World. At that point where are the chains and cables were and the excessive amount of people it was getting dangerous. We turned around and she never got to make it to the top. We later hiked up through the Narrows, and it was packed. The next day, we did take an unmarked trail and were by ourselves and located the rock art we were looking for and later got to watch some bighorn sheep for a while. Yes it is a beautiful place, but it is being loved to death, as is Yosemite, South Rim of Grand Canyon, Arches, etc. I am not sure what the answer is at this point.

25. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    I always see people panicking when it starts getting dark. If everyone would just purposely do one in the dark then they'd realize it doesn't really matter.
    Stop saying that!

Blog Entries

Anyone here going to the session this Friday here in Salt Lake?? I'm tempted to go.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Anyone here going to the session this Friday here in Salt Lake?? I'm tempted to go.

I'm thinking seriously about going (SLC). Wondering if it will be the same briefing/RFC from earlier this year, which I participated via teleconference.

Curious as to why they are holding this on a Friday evening, are they intentionally wanting very little turnout?

Blog Entries
    Yea. That's what I was thinking too. That's date night for me. I dunno maybe. Even a Saturday morning would be better than a friday night.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Was there today and every small patch of dirt, along the road, had a car parked on it, people everywhere.

Since your visit, many of those dirt patches have been covered by very large rocks.

31. Likes bhalvers2002 liked this post