Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zion National Park May Start Limiting Number of Visitors

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I'm thinking seriously about going (SLC). Wondering if it will be the same briefing/RFC from earlier this year, which I participated via teleconference.

Curious as to why they are holding this on a Friday evening, are they intentionally wanting very little turnout?

I attended the Hurricane meeting last night (complete schedule below). The Park personnel last night were warm, friendly and engaged in the process. I cannot imagine that the SLC scheduling was calculated to reduce attendance - most likely it was influenced by gov't travel and overtime rules, personal work schedules, and a host of other concerns. Or to put it simply, "Obama." har har...

Thanks for being involved in the process. The meetings are not nearly as important as participating in the public comment process, which has already begun. If you attended the "listening" sessions earlier this year, you probably wouldn't benefit much by attending these scoping meetings. Lots of overlap.

For the latest summary of the Zion VUMP process, click HERE (pdf file)

Monday, October 24, 2016 5-7 pm (Pacific Time) University of Nevada, Las Vegas Student Union Building, Room 205, 4505 South Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas, NV

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 5-7 pm (Mountain Time) Hurricane Community Center, Meeting Room 107, 63 South 100 West, Hurricane, UT

Wednesday, October 26, 201612-2 pm (Mountain Time) Zion Lodge Auditorium, Zion Canyon Scenic Drive, Zion National Park, UT

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5-7 pm (Mountain Time) Canyon Community Center 126 Lion Blvd. Springdale, UT

Thursday, October 27, 2016 5-7 pm (Mountain Time) Southern Utah University Sharwan Smith Student Center, Cedar Breaks Room 141, Cedar City, UTNote: Park in Lot A10 on 200 South, between 500 and 700 West

Friday, October 28, 2016 5-7 pm (Mountain Time) Salt Lake City Marriott University Park Hotel Aspen Meeting Room –5th Floor, 480 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City, UT

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5-7 pm (Mountain Time) Kanab City Library, Multipurpose Room, 374 North Main, Kanab, UT

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've been to enough of these National Park Service dog and pony shows to know exactly what to expect.... The National Park Service personnel will be warm, friendly and engaged in the process, they will politely listen to all comments and concerns.... and in the end they will just go ahead and do whatever the hell they wanted to do from the start of the process. And the only reason they hold these meeting is that it's required by law.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    I cannot imagine that the SLC scheduling was calculated to reduce attendance
    Sarcasm fully intended. I expect they would like a good turnout, such that they can document a population was provided the opportunity to comment. Given that, it would seem reasonable that another day of the week would be more ideal - likely I'm just being selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Thanks for being involved in the process.
    Thank you, Hank, for the read ahead and for all your contributions to the community!

5. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I've been to enough of these National Park Service dog and pony shows to know exactly what to expect.... The National Park Service personnel will be warm, friendly and engaged in the process, they will politely listen to all comments and concerns.... and in the end they will just go ahead and do whatever the hell they wanted to do from the start of the process. And the only reason they hold these meeting is that it's a required by law.

YMMV
    YUP. And its not just them.

Zion is like Yosemite, crowds tend to disappear 5 minutes up the trail (with. a few exceptions).

Zion has been much less crowded for me than Yosemite. But we usually avoid summer holidays at both locations.