Thread: Canyoneering October 16-21 Moab area

Canyoneering October 16-21 Moab area

My wife and I will be visiting the Moab/Arches/Canyonlands area 10/16-10/21 and would really like to do some canyoneering. We have only done one canyon before so rather than exploring on our own I thought I would check and see if someone experienced would mind letting us tag along with them. We do rock climb frequently and are experienced at rappelling but we certainly have a lot to learn still about canyoneering.

Alternatively if anyone has a good recommendation for a canyon that some newbie canyoneers could tackle that would also be very much appreciated. We will have a 70m rope and rappel devices with us if that matters.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

U turn-Elephant Butte are 2 good straight forward routes in Moab. All the info you will need is available at Climb-utah.com

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    U turn-Elephant Butte are 2 good straight forward routes in Moab. All the info you will need is available at Climb-utah.com
    Thank you!

Blog Entries
    X2. Elephant butte is an awesome route!

If rock climbing is your sport but wanna mix it up a bit with canyoneering - Elephant Butte can't be beat! Plus you knock off a high-point off the Eternal list of peakbagging. (It's the highest point in Arches NP).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    X2. Elephant butte is an awesome route!

If rock climbing is your sport but wanna mix it up a bit with canyoneering - Elephant Butte can't be beat! Plus you knock off a high-point off the Eternal list of peakbagging. (It's the highest point in Arches NP).

I think canyoneering would be our sport if there were any canyons in Kentucky! Unfortunately that isn't the case. We will definitely visit Elephant Butte.

x3 for Elephant Butte. While not exactly canyoneering it might be the funniest route inside the park.

And here is the video for U-Turn

Thanks for the suggestions. U-turn and Elephant Butte were both a lot of fun.
    We also ended up doing Pool Arch Canyon which we enjoyed as well.

9. Likes moab mark, jman liked this post
    Did u by any chance have a picture of the rope grooves at end of pool arch/rock of ages?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Did u by any chance have a picture of the rope grooves at end of pool arch/rock of ages?
    No, didn't take a picture of that.

Quote Originally Posted by apdale View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. U-turn and Elephant Butte were both a lot of fun.
    We also ended up doing Pool Arch Canyon which we enjoyed as well.
    Glad you had fun! I was introduced to those three routes (and more) by Iceaxe and MoabMark and ScottP and others during a "BogleyFest" a few years ago.

Rob