Thread: Orderville 10/01/2016

Orderville 10/01/2016

Orderville - Group size 6 - Oct 1, 2016.

We set out to run orderville this saturday leaving ZAC at 6:15 am. Arriving at the Orderville trailhead at ~ 8:30 we set down the road from the upper orderville parking lot. Skies were blue & the weather looked great. We were hesitant with weather due to 20% chance of rain in the forecast. The fall colors lit up the canyon. Once we reached the 2nd rappel the skies started to turn to gray. Rain started to drizzle and my group began a quick pace which slowly turned into a jog down canyon to get out the the narrow slot. Suddenly what was a drizzle turned into a downpour. Luckily for us we found a spot DCL that we could climb out of flood zone. Suddenly we heard some yelling & frantic voices down canyon. I noticed the other group we had been bumping into all day was about 50 yards down canyon, which had numerous young kids, were sitting in the flood zone & the young kids were getting frantic. We urged the group to join us out of the flood zone and proceeded to help them. The rain continued to downpour & waterfalls flowed all around us. The canyon floor quickly raised 2 feet and the water turned to a dirty brown filled with flood water. We waited out the rain which subsided after ~ 30 minutes. Relieved & happy we all proceeded down canyon laughing, joking, & happy to live another day. The narrows were a welcome site.

As per tradition we finished our day grubbing at Oscars cafe. We had plans to descend Behunin the following day but due to various weather reports from 30% to 60% we decided best to cancel our plans. Sadly today on our way home we re-checked the weather which then dropped to 15% chance of rain in the late afternoon. In the end we only live once, but we can always canyoneer another day.

Hiking down to the canyon.

Incredible fall colors in upper orderville

Ross working is way down the 1st rap.

Start of the water.

Sadly I had camera trouble following this so I missed the best parts of the canyon & the rain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There's an old saying: "Discretion is the better part of valor."
    Congratulations on living to canyoneer another day.
    Thanks for the report.

4. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    Sadly I had camera trouble following this so I missed the best parts of the canyon & the rain.
    Aww!

Still a nice trip report Dakota. A great way to start October.

6. Likes 2065toyota, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Just noticed this Dakota! Thanks for putting it on. Must admit, I didn't hear the kids downcanyon as I was pleased you'd found a high spot for us to shelter from the rain, so you were a bit of a hero for them. Don't worry about your camera too much - I got loads of pics up to the Narrows (which I'd seen before so didn't take too many there) and although I did a load of equally beautiful canyons over the 2 weeks Orderville possibly has the most great photos because of its variation, colours, water and it's not too narrow and dark. Any you like, I'll make available to you

8. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaniukr View Post
    Just noticed this Dakota! Thanks for putting it on. Must admit, I didn't hear the kids downcanyon as I was pleased you'd found a high spot for us to shelter from the rain, so you were a bit of a hero for them. Don't worry about your camera too much - I got loads of pics up to the Narrows (which I'd seen before so didn't take too many there) and although I did a load of equally beautiful canyons over the 2 weeks Orderville possibly has the most great photos because of its variation, colours, water and it's not too narrow and dark. Any you like, I'll make available to you
    A week after this I actually took my kids & hiked up orderville from the bottom. I got some great pictures and had a great time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk