Thread: Portland/Bear Creek-Ouray 09/05/16

Portland/Bear Creek-Ouray 09/05/16

I have always had difficulty loading pictures on my TRs. Using Tapatalk app I'm hoping this will work (fingers crossed lol). First weekend of September we headed to Ouray for an little canyoning. We ran Angel & Portland Creek to warm up followed by bear Creek. Such a incredible trip. The more class C canyons I run the more addicting they become. All Pictures shot with my Galaxy S7.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like it worked uploading from tapatalk app !!! I didn't add much info though so I will elaborate more here. We had a group of 5 including Myself (Dakota Belliston), Blake Merrill, Josh Davis, Daniel Kimball, & Luke Peacock. On Sunday Daniel & myself ran down Portland Creek & Angel Creek in the late afternoon following a couple rain storms. Both canyons we ran without wetsuits & took us 2 hours to run both of them. I decent yet very short introduction to Ouray canyoneering. Monday morning we set out with our full group to run Bear Creek. The approach is switch backs all up here taking us ~ 1 hour. Once up top we donned our suits & immediately dropped in to the river. For the first while the canyon slowly starts no narrow & is a fun river walk full of down climbs. Sadly nothing was jumpable. Most pools were only 2-3 feet deep. Once the canyon starts to narrow more & more the canyon becomes more fun with incredible waterfalls The 2nd rappel was a canyon of water gushing over the edge. Hooking up you start to drop being blasted with in the face with water before dropping behind the veil. Canyon continues down full of fun but all to fast you can see the road again. The entire canyon route took us ~ 4-5 hours making for a fun morning. Sadly we did not get to run more canyons due to heavy rain & limited time. Next year we will for sure be back !!!

Picture #1: Taken in Angel creek. This route isn't much of a canyon but rather hiking down a stream bed with a couple decent rappels. You get wet on the rappels but otherwise your good. We called this "Bareback canyoneering".

Picture #2: Picture of the main rappel in Portland Creek. The full route takes you up stream further giving you a neat little section of canyon that's mostly just river walking. The technical section is about 100 yards long (if that) and the main waterfall drops off directly under the bridge.

Picture #3: Middle bear creek. One of my favorite sections of canyon with back to back small slides. It was like being in a small water park... or washing machine lol.

Picture #4: One of the many waterfall rappels in bear creek.

Picture #5: Had someone on my other accounts ask how we get such awesome shots canyoneering. It's like walking down the red carpet with multiple camera's clicking.