Thread: Englestread - Bypass 300 ft rap.

Englestread - Bypass 300 ft rap.

Talking with a friend the other day, he was telling me you can bypass the 300 ft rappel in Englestead Canyon (Zion NPS) by heading down canyon left to a social trail that will drop you in the bottom of the canyon. Can anyone else confirm this?

Doing Englestead out the bottom with a 300 ft rope is a lot of gear. Would be nice to try this with less gear but still enjoy the great canyon :)

Thanks for your response !!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You'd be skipping the whole first rappel sequence which is a HUGE part of the charm of that canyon.

300' is a lot of rope, but it's the price of admission, and well worth it

4. Likes rick t, dakotabelliston, harness man liked this post
    You can also do the canyon with a 200 foot rope and a 200 foot pull line (not much weight at all for a Zion canyon) if you know what you're doing.

6. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    I don't believe that anyone could walk down into the canyon anywhere near the top of the technical section. Them walls are TALL.

But it is a moot point, the first sequence is the most memorable part of Englestead, a classic signature rappel not to be missed.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

8. Likes rick t, harness man, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    You can also do the canyon with a 200 foot rope and a 200 foot pull line (not much weight at all for a Zion canyon) if you know what you're doing.
    Yes.
    Or we always have done it with 2 - 60m ropes. Double strand rap to to ledge on 1 rope, Set up 2nd rope for single strand rap to bottom. Everyone raps thru and last man pulls top rope, ties together for DSR and done.
    Fun and easy.

10. Likes harness man, ratagonia liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The first rappel sequence can be bypassed by walking the rim on the left (no trail, bushwhacky). Where the next watercourse goes over the edge are some incredibly large trees. From here it is just short of 600 feet to the bottom of the canyon, mostly at about an 80 degree angle.

When thick with ice, this flow could be downclimbed at WI4 level 600 feet to the bottom of the canyon. Perhaps that is what your friend was thinking of???

I cannot think of a place where the 600 foot tall cliffband can be "walked down", certainly not easily enough that a social trail has developed.

Tom

12. Likes harness man, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Sounds to me as if your friend is describing the social trail to the left that leads to the top of the two-stage bypass rappel.

This is how I prefer to do the canyon so I don't have to pack as much rope. There is no walk down.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Sounds to me as if your friend is describing the social trail to the left that leads to the top of the two-stage bypass rappel.

This is how I prefer to do the canyon so I don't have to pack as much rope. There is no walk down.
    Could be. And that is 50 feet down the left hand side. If doing the 290 foot rap in, it is done in the same place.

T

Doing Englestead out the bottom with a 300 ft rope is a lot of gear. Would be nice to try this with less gear but still enjoy the great canyon :)
    You could just leave your 300' rope at the top with a note on it and retrieve it later.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks you all for the responses. I was unaware that you could complete the canyon with 2 full (200') ropes & I'm going to have to do some research on this option !!! I shot my 300' rope earlier this year which has resulted in me staying away from Englestead canyon, even though it's on my to-do list.