Thread: Purpose of taking the dog?

Purpose of taking the dog?

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Purpose of taking the dog?

Because little Fifi is part of the family. I mean *is* family.

You are not a *true* canyoneer until you take your dog through middle Leprechaun though. I mean...dogs just LOVE that! They love squeezing their paws awkwardly through slot canyons. You can see the love of it in their eyes!

In fact, I take my dog with me on my 5.10 climbs, cause little Fifi loves a good climb especially when we are dangling 200ft in their air.

Just like in this video, can't you just HEAR the love and passion and excitement and HAPPINESS this dog makes when going over the edge and rapping down?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Technical canyons are definitely not the best place for dogs, IMHO. That rappel had a relatively easy start/setup. What about difficult ones?

Looks like the dog was nearly pinned under the rappel rope.

I hope this was one of those close call learning experiences that will never be repeated.

I think lowering the dog would be the best option...or just show the dog your cool video of how much fun you had when you get home.

6. Likes jman liked this post
    There are several types of dog owner. I'll point out the two types that I notice the most.

Type 1: Owner knows that a dog lives in his house. Owner feeds, walks, and grooms dog at appropriate intervals. Dog sleeps in his own bed, somewhere near the washing machine. Dog has zero influence over the owner's life.

Type 2: Dog goes everywhere with his owner. Dog sleeps in the owners bed. Owner lets dog lick him on inside of his mouth. Owner makes life choices that surround the dog, like where to live, what kind of vacations to go on, and what kind of people to date. Dog vomits, pees, and poops in the owner's living space on a regular basis. Dog sits on the owner's friends and family like they are furniture. Owner does not seem to notice that his dog sheds, and thinks other people should be OK with animal hair on everything. Owner spends unreasonable amounts of money to keep dog alive in later years. Dog fills some kind of strange emotional void for the owner that should be filled with human-to-human relationships. Owner's friends pretend this is cool because they like the owner. Owner's friends actually hate the dog. Owner's friends worry about the emotional health of the owner.

It is safe to assume that canyon dog guy is Type 2. To answer Scott's question directly, "What is the purpose of bringing the dog?" The purpose is for the owner to be provided the same level of comfort a small child receives from bringing a stuffed animal to bed.

Did I mention that I like dogs?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Maybe instead think of a dog as an alien - a non-threatening alien life form. That "attaches" itself to humans, and waits for the right time to take over the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Type 2: Dog goes everywhere with his owner. Dog sleeps in the owners bed. Owner lets dog lick him on inside of his mouth. Owner makes life choices that surround the dog, like where to live, what kind of vacations to go on, and what kind of people to date. Dog vomits, pees, and poops in the owner's living space on a regular basis. Dog sits on the owner's friends and family like they are furniture. Owner does not seem to notice that his dog sheds, and thinks other people should be OK with animal hair on everything. Owner spends unreasonable amounts of money to keep dog alive in later years. Dog fills some kind of strange emotional void for the owner that should be filled with human-to-human relationships. Owner's friends pretend this is cool because they like the owner. Owner's friends actually hate the dog. Owner's friends worry about the emotional health of the owner.
    Hyperbole much? I've actually met a couple people that canyoneer with dogs and had very different experiences. My opinion is that 99.9% of dogs don't belong in canyons. The first one was a smaller dog, probably weighed about 20 lbs and was very well behaved. The owner could control it and he could actually rappel with the dog by dangling him like a pack on his harness. I wasn't thrilled the first time I saw the dog, but since he did well it was actually kind of fun being out with him. I went with this guy a lot and learned a lot from him

The second trip the guy brought two Australian shepherds that weighed around 60 lbs each (we were attempting quandary that day). It was a disaster the dogs hated every minute of it fighting us at every drop, and this wasn't his first time taking the dogs and so he knew what they were like. I don't know what he was thinking taking them along and subjecting them and me to this torture. I never went with him again.

If you must take your dog though don't post videos of it whining as you force it over the drop so that the whole internet knows that you are in to emotionally torturing your dog.