Thread: Weird Accident

Weird Accident

Today was a tough day and a weird one. The weirdest incident was an accident that I was in. I was pulling into the tight parking lot between Taco Bell and the Marijuana Dispensary in Frisco (I was there to buy the tacos, not the pot). A truck was pulling out of a space at Taco Bell, so I thought to do the polite thing and back up a bit and let the truck out. Unfortunately, at the same time, a kid started to pull out of the dispensary in his car and we had a fender bender. My truck was almost completely undamaged, but his car had a dent.

I got out and wanted to get an accident report, but the kid didn't want to get the police involved and didn't want to exchange insurance information. He said that since my vehicle was undamaged, I could just be on my way and not worry about it. I was afraid to leave the scene of an accident and I said that we should exchange insurance information. I felt really bad that we were in the accident. He said that his car wasn't worth much anyway (it was an old Pontiac Sunfire). Even though I suspected that it was me that might be judged at fault, I am guessing that maybe he didn't have insurance, or a licence and was afraid. He also said that he had to get to work.

He told me that he had come to Colorado to start a new life. I was actually really worried about the kid and was worried that he may be living in his car. I walked over to the ATM and withdrew $500 (that was the max that the ATM would allow me to withdraw) and insisted that he take that, plus all the money in my wallet (around $100). I decided to move my company truck since I had parked at the dispensary and didn't think that it would look good to be parked there too long. The kid left and I never did get his information. I never got his name either.

I was trying to do the right thing, though I don't know if I did. Even if we had exchanged information, I would have given him the money anyway. He looked like he needed it. It still doesn't feel like I did the right thing, but I don't know what I should have done differently.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I wouldn't sweat it. A lot of people really don't care about their vehicles that much and he may have really not cared. You gave him $600 and maybe is better off than before. Now maybe he can get insurance :-)

Big city dweller that I am - it sounds like a setup and a scam. In any event, bless your heart for being such a good soul.

Big city dweller that I am - it sounds like a setup and a scam.
    I don't think so. When it happened, he wanted me to leave without giving him anything. I was the one that insisted that I did. I assume that from a legal standpoint, I would be at fault since it was my vehicles bumper that hit his, rather the vice versa.

He was also scared rather than threatening.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Lack of insurance is a good guess.

A few other things that could be in play:

Plate doesn't match the car or has fraudulent inspection and registration sticker. It's usually about the registration hurdles, not so much theft of the car or plates.

Outstanding warrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I don't think so. When it happened, he wanted me to leave without giving him anything. I was the one that insisted that I did. I assume that from a legal standpoint, I would be at fault since it was my vehicles bumper that hit his, rather the vice versa.

He was also scared rather than threatening.
    scott, your story reminded me of a similar situation when a friend of mine was driving, couldn't stop in time, and ran into the back of a woman's car. it totaled my friend's car. the car that was hit definitely had damage but only a fraction. the woman driving the car that was hit seemed to be a professional the way she was dressed. she did not want to exchange any information at all and seemed to be in a rush to leave which she did. it's probably easy to jump to conclusions, but without knowing anything more the reason could be very different from what one would guess.your approach is a discreet way of settling the matter.